I-Phone 3GS ++ Navigating Software

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
stephendean

I-Phone 3GS ++ Navigating Software

Post by stephendean » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:14 pm

I have recently acquired a new I-Phone. The first Apple product I have owned. One of the reasons that I got this phone was the idea of putting on software that would use the gps functionality. The phone is a pretty neat piece of kit. Great display. The built accelerometers help with game play and some of the gps functions.
The first gps software I installed was Motion-X GPS. This is a gps tracking software app. You can basicly record your tracks as you go and add waypoints and photos as you go. Once you have saved a track you can share it by Twitter, Facebook and/or email. You can open the tracks in Google maps. It also shares it as a gpx and kmz format. GPX stands for GPS Exchange Format and is used to transfer GPS data between many GPS devices and applications. I will later on put up some tracks if you want. Just let me know.
The next one that I have installed is Geocaching which works with the Geocaching website. This does require access to a 3G phone service to get data, but you can save caches that you would be interested in finding. You would does this were you would have a good phone signal or wifi connection. Then you can go where there is no phone signal and still find these caches. This is a really neat application.
The last one that I have installed is Sygig Mobile Maps 2009, now this is a turn by turn navigation software ,much like Tom-Tom or Navman. It is a pretty reasonable package and so far I have had no real problems with it. It does show the usual stuff when navigating, one nice touch is the speed alerts. You can have a 3d view or a 2d view. It does allow you to rehearse the route and it does give several travel options such as fastest, quickest, shortest route. Of course TomTom have just released a I-Phone app. But most of them use the same map info and just package in different ways. On the whole I am happy with this package as it gets me to where I want. Then I can use the other 2 packages for the fun stuff.

Return to “Product Reviews”