test your oil on a test medium product

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
steptoe
Master Member

test your oil on a test medium product

Post by steptoe » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:24 am

I have not tried it yet, but thought I'd share a find with you. May come in handy in buying a used car.

It is called engine checkup, sells six test pads for about $30 details at proquip.com.au

Looks like it sells in a yellow cardboard box counter display with a flat sheet of six test pads to drop warm oil drip of dipstick onto to test for state of oil, engine efficiency (yeah? "10.8l per 100km" :) ), presence of contaminants, water, fuel or anti freeze and the degree of each

shortcut to car inspections -

If you know of and have tried it maybe give a write up in here

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 am

Never heard of it before but it sounds like a great idea and I can't see why it woundn't work. We have special testing tablets to check for water in A1 Jet Fuel and they work a treat.

heres a link to the PDF page but I too would like to know if anyone else has used them?

http://www.proquip.com.au/ProductPages/ ... e/ECUP.pdf
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

GOD

Post by GOD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 am

Put a drop of oil onto a bit of white paper/cardboard and use your finely calibrated eyeball. Shows a fair bit. Without looking at that kit, I suspect it would be little more than bits of paper, and a guide to interpreting the results.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:03 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Never heard of it before but it sounds like a great idea and I can't see why it wouldn't work. We have special testing tablets to check for water in A1 Jet Fuel and they work a treat.

heres a link to the PDF page but I too would like to know if anyone else has used them?

http://www.proquip.com.au/ProductPages/ ... e/ECUP.pdf
Has the paste been superseded RSR 555?
The QF engineers in Townsville used to use paste smeared onto a metal tab that was attached to the lid and reached the bottom of the jar and they sampled each tank on the aircraft before departure.
Peter

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Ive heard of this but never bothered... Anyone have?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Subyroo wrote:Has the paste been superseded RSR 555?
The QF engineers in Townsville used to use paste smeared onto a metal tab that was attached to the lid and reached the bottom of the jar and they sampled each tank on the aircraft before departure.
Not sure how they do it on-shore, my mate who works at Perth Airport can maybe tell me next time I see him. Off-shore US rig we use is...

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf ... images=yes

Sorry for going off the topic but I'm still interested in anyone that has used one of the oil kits :) btw GOD, I'm going to try what you said, sounds good if you know what you're looking for :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:47 pm

While over in perth in 07 I picked up a bottle of coolant that was Australian made, can't remember what it was called now. The thing about it was that it was a coolant that did everything it should. It was green but if it changed colour it would indicate several things - blow head gasket, oil in the coolant etc - it had a colour for every usual problem you could have with coolant.

I never really got to test it for a blown head gasket, can't remember if I dropped the coolant or blew up the radiator... Either way we don't get it on this side of the burnt country :( I'd be keen to give it another go.

As for this product, I'm really not sure if there's a quick solution to working out the condition of a motor - prior experience and a through checkout is usually the best method in my book.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Product Reviews”