Tyre Deflators

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
NachaLuva
General Member

Tyre Deflators

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:19 pm

I just bought a set of tyre deflators similar to the Staun brand:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220879431...84.m1439.l2649

Seem good enough but as with them all only go up to 30PSI Image

Then today I found these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290654480...84.m1423.l2649

They go up to 40PSI so I could have one set to 36PSI so at the end of a trip when I air back up I could air up to say 40 then using the deflator go down to 36PSI (36 hot = ~34 cold). Accurate, quick & easy Image

What do others think?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:04 pm

I can't help with your question but wouldn't it be best to just air up then check with a pressure gauge to find you 34psi?

I have the exact same set of tyre deflators but mine were $7 on ebay. I jsut don't know how to set them. I usually go too low with 1 tyre and have to pump it up. haha
They are quick at going from mid 30's to 15 ish. By the time all 4 are screwed on the first one is almost done.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:48 pm

the onyl use ive found with these sort of things is that its not using a stick (that usually breaks inside the valve stem) and gauge etc

id say keep the 40s on all the time

meanwhile, what we really need is an auto tire de/re flating system to be used while the vehicle is moving =D

GOD

Post by GOD » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:56 pm

nachaluva wrote:I just bought a set of tyre deflators similar to the Staun brand:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220879431...84.m1439.l2649

Seem good enough but as with them all only go up to 30PSI Image

Then today I found these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290654480...84.m1423.l2649

They go up to 40PSI so I could have one set to 36PSI so at the end of a trip when I air back up I could air up to say 40 then using the deflator go down to 36PSI (36 hot = ~34 cold). Accurate, quick & easy Image

What do others think?
Sounds like you want to turn a single step job into a two-step job. And deflators aren't very accurate. I have a set identical to that in your first link and if i calibrate all four deflators off the same tyre, they're lucky to get the other three tyres within 2 psi.

Whatever tickles your bits.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:33 pm

I have just one set (of 4) and use 2 of them at 20PSI and the other 2 at 12PSI (just need to make sure you mark them so) and use the tyre gauge on the compressor when inflating.. you can get away with a few PSI difference, as long as you check them at the next service station tank fill.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:51 pm

spike wrote:the onyl use ive found with these sort of things is that its not using a stick (that usually breaks inside the valve stem) and gauge etc
lol :mrgreen:
meanwhile, what we really need is an auto tire de/re flating system to be used while the vehicle is moving =D
+1. Controllable from inside the cabin :mrgreen:
GOD wrote:Sounds like you want to turn a single step job into a two-step job. And deflators aren't very accurate. I have a set identical to that in your first link and if i calibrate all four deflators off the same tyre, they're lucky to get the other three tyres within 2 psi.
Thanks Dane. for my purpose they don't need to be accurate. I will set one to say 15PSI, another to 20, another 25, last one to 36PSI.
So if I want to air down to 20PSI I pull out that one deflator & use it on all four tyres. It wont really matter if it airs them all down to 14 or 16PSI as long as they're all the same.

When airing up you still need to air up past the desired pressure & back down with an accurate gauge. The gauges on compressors are so inaccurate plus they're analogue.
taza wrote:I can't help with your question but wouldn't it be best to just air up then check with a pressure gauge to find you 34psi?
It just saves having to fiddle around with manual deflating, then checking, then deflating some more, etc. it makes it easier. see above
I have the exact same set of tyre deflators but mine were $7 on ebay. I jsut don't know how to set them. I usually go too low with 1 tyre and have to pump it up. haha
They are quick at going from mid 30's to 15 ish. By the time all 4 are screwed on the first one is almost done.
$7!!! Damn! :mrgreen:

I'll try to find instructions for setting them
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:00 am

nachaluva wrote: $7!!! Damn! :mrgreen:

I'll try to find instructions for setting them
Yeah it was a bargin. Cheers, I have some instructions but I don't read chinese. lol

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 am

taza wrote:Yeah it was a bargin. Cheers, I have some instructions but I don't read chinese. lol
Lol :rolleyes:

Instructions as promised:

How to Use
1. Deflate a tyre to your preferred deflation pressure. eg 20psi

2. With the locking ring and adjusting cap wound down, screw your tyre deflator on the valve stem making sure it is clean and the thread is in good condition.
3. Loosen the cap (anti-clockwise) until deflator pops open, then immediately tighten cap to the position where air stops exhausting.
4. Turn lock ring up to adjust cap and tighten.
Your tyre deflator is now set to your preferred deflation pressure. Adjustments to your deflators can be made at the rate of 3 PSI er half turn of the adjusting cap.
Once the tyre deflator is set to your desired psi (20psi) it will automatically shut off and stop releasing air out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:54 am

spike wrote: meanwhile, what we really need is an auto tire de/re flating system to be used while the vehicle is moving =D
Like the hummer's did.
You could inflate/deflate and check temperatures of all 4 tyres from the cab.
That would be cool.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

purp

Post by purp » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:15 am

Do they come with the spade and girl?

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:23 am

Brumby Kid wrote:Like the hummer's did.
That would be cool.

Cheers Cam
we have a winner!
except hummers arent the only things with them, i have the work papers for them but dam theyre hard to decipher

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:Like the hummer's did.
That would be cool.
That would be uber-cool :cool:
purp wrote:Do they come with the spade and girl?
Hehe, mine came in the mail today, no girl :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 pm

I bought a cheap knock off set of stauns...
Very dissappointed.
I've set them all, but they end up at different pressures, they are never consistant, even after resseting and double checking, and arent that quick anyway?
I can almost do it quicker with One good quality gauge doing one tire at a time than what all 4 of the cheapies do, so i'm quite annoyed with my 25 dollars :(
But I've seen the genuine ones in action and they seemed far quicker and more accurate, so one day i'll spend the money,

As for setting them to 36PSI to reset your tires after inflation, get a compressor with a more accurate gauge?
the gauge on my compressor is accurate so i know mine are always set right?

If i'd paid $7 i may not have been so dissappointed.....

Longy :)
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:10 pm

I still like my cheap option of finding a stick :D

But a set of deflators setup with each one at a different PSI setting sounds like the go.

I've also found my portable compressor's gauge to be quite accurate :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Just went out & set them. Was easy peasy to set! :mrgreen:

But I found they dont deflate very well...cheap eBay knockoffs :(

Oh well. I can either get another type which may work better ($50), or get the genuine straun ($60-$100) or I could just put up with em. Or go back to my stick! :rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Product Reviews”