Tyre Repair Kits

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
NachaLuva
General Member

Tyre Repair Kits

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:10 pm

How good are these?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0932617092

Can they be considered permanent or are they just to get you home or to a tyre repair place? :confused:

At least this kit is a solid steel one not a cheap plastic deal that if it breaks will end up embedded in your hand! :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:13 pm

We use them at work...good fast repair...suitable for out in the bush but I don't think you are supposed to use them in a registered vehicle on road use ????
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

alang

Post by alang » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm

they will get you home replace with a inside patch @t $25 each they are permanent.
good for when you get two flats easy fix and plug it as your spare they will grind over it for the inside patch makes it easer to see on the inside. as some one said can be illegal check your state rulings on them. I have used them since they came out on cars and trucks ( not the steer tyres but ) good when doing the scrape metal runs you end up with flat tyre some times quick fix we had one tyre that had 90 plugs in it before replacing it

GOD

Post by GOD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Got a kit just like that in the car, but mine came from a 4wd shop so cost a fair bit more than $39 :(. Seems to be pretty good quality, and they are very handy - quicker and easier than jacking up and changing a tyre.

As others have said, don't expect the plugs to be a permanent repair.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:43 pm

All good if you can pull the intrusion out in full. But if you cannot the idea is to push it inside the tyre. Problem then is it bangs around inside until you get it patched from the inside.

Assuming the intrusion is out in full it would be far safer assuming its plugs the air leak itself.

But good to have as mentioned for the times when you get more than one flat. However all these things add weight. Check with your convoy, you really only need one kit for the trip assuming you all stay together.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Got it today...that was the fastest post I've ever seen! Looks good, very solid. Now lets hope I never have to use it! :rolleyes:
alang wrote:we had one tyre that had 90 plugs in it before replacing it
Crikey what do you guys do to get 90 punctures in one tyre! lol :p
Smokey wrote:Check with your convoy, you really only need one kit for the trip assuming you all stay together.
yep good point. just dont want it to be one of those times when someone asks "do you have the repair kit?", only to be told "I thought you had it!" haha :rolleyes:
GOD wrote:Got a kit just like that in the car, but mine came from a 4wd shop so cost a fair bit more than $39 :(. Seems to be pretty good quality, and they are very handy - quicker and easier than jacking up and changing a tyre.
Hell yeah. & I thought it was pretty good price too for a steel handled kit :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

SubieMad

Post by SubieMad » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:46 pm

I bought a similar kit of ebay to repair a roof screw puncture. I've since done 20k on that tyre without a problem :)

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:53 am

I've repaired quad tyres with that type of plug repair. That is a good looking kit.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Return to “Product Reviews”