Just Straps - beginner

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
Jerrad

Just Straps - beginner

Post by Jerrad » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:32 pm

G'day fellas!
Im just starting out offroading, I have a tow rope and few other odds and bods but Im looking at getting -

https://juststraps.com.au/Default.asp?
Medium Recovery Kit
Genuine Just Straps Australian Made Quality! with fully protected sewn eyes at both ends for ease of connecting. Excellent mid range size kit which contains Medium Snatch Strap SS659, Premium Tree Protector TTP7535, Premium Winch Strap WES5510, 2 x 3.2 Tonne Bow Shackles, 1 x 4.7 Tonne Bow Shackle, Pair of Gloves in Large 4 pocket Recovery bag.
Normally $261.80 SPECIAL PRICE $196.35 for a limited time only

Do you think this will be alright for a starter kit? It seems good deal for the price? As my thread Im trying to do everything on a budget!
Advise please!

If I could figure out how to make a signiture work then Id link my Thread and say Thanks! Jerrad!
showthread.php?t=21230

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 am

You could probably do without the winch straps and tree protector. A good start would be a good quality snatch strap and some rated shackles. You don't need the winching items as not many Subes have a winch. A good bag is handy as well to use as an "air brake" when snatching. I would think you could do this for less than $100. Does your car have a decent recovery point?
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:22 pm

INEEDABEER wrote:You could probably do without the winch straps and tree protector. A good start would be a good quality snatch strap and some rated shackles. You don't need the winching items as not many Subes have a winch. ?
hand winch comes in handy, probably a lot handier than a mounted electruc one

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:16 pm

spike wrote:hand winch comes in handy, probably a lot handier than a mounted electruc one
if you have 900 to spare theres a goo quality t516d with pulley block and 20m cable on ebay right now.

id buy it but i'm only missing the cable at this point! :)
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

GOD

Post by GOD » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:19 pm

If you always go 4wding with a friend, just a snatchie and two shackles will do. If you go out alone, you should have either a shovel and a strong back, or a winch and winch straps .

But if you're keen to have all the gear, that kit is a pretty good value way to get it.
B00sting wrote:if you have 900 to spare theres a goo quality t516d with pulley block and 20m cable on ebay right now.
what?

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:37 pm

GOD wrote:If you always go 4wding with a friend, just a snatchie and two shackles will do. If you go out alone, you should have either a shovel and a strong back, or a winch and winch straps .

But if you're keen to have all the gear, that kit is a pretty good value way to get it.

what?

Dane.
Sorry, should have been more specific.

There is a good quality hand winch on ebay currently. The brand is Tirfor (Tractel). They are the best hand winches IMO. Can easily recover a car.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:58 pm

2 Shackles, (10-15ea)
Medium Snatch strap (6000-7000kgmax!!) (50-90ea) get a good one with protected ends, bushranger make a decent one at that rating
Dampener!
and a bridle for attaching to the front of the car! unfortunately they are about 130 bux :(
but i've used it that many times on mine and my mates cars its certainly worth it for safe recoveries!

:)

I got out a fair bit, and thats some of the essentials i take every time
other things are the shovel, and Xtrax, tire gauge and compressor.

Longy
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:16 pm

INEEDABEER wrote:You could probably do without the winch straps and tree protector. A good start would be a good quality snatch strap and some rated shackles. You don't need the winching items as not many Subes have a winch. A good bag is handy as well to use as an "air brake" when snatching. I would think you could do this for less than $100. Does your car have a decent recovery point?
As said above that's all you need
If you are thinking of going out on your own then a Tirfor would be the thing to get also but they are hard work and slow.

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 am

longy99gt wrote:2 Shackles, (10-15ea)
Medium Snatch strap (6000-7000kgmax!!) (50-90ea) get a good one with protected ends, bushranger make a decent one at that rating
Dampener!
and a bridle for attaching to the front of the car! unfortunately they are about 130 bux :(
but i've used it that many times on mine and my mates cars its certainly worth it for safe recoveries!

:)

I got out a fair bit, and thats some of the essentials i take every time
other things are the shovel, and Xtrax, tire gauge and compressor.

Longy
first off whats a bridle?
so a medium snatchy will be fine for a forester? looking to get myself a kit together at his point aswell.
can anyone suggest were is a good place go look for price and range
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

purp

Post by purp » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:03 am

thunder039 wrote:first off whats a bridle?
Wondered that myself. After some googling, it appears to be a term taken from the bridle used on a horse.

In the 4wd world it appears to be used for a strap used to pull from both of the attachment points on the front of a vehicle (particularly useful when neither point is especially strong, such as on most subis).

eg:

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:32 am

purp wrote:Wondered that myself. After some googling, it appears to be a term taken from the bridle used on a horse.

In the 4wd world it appears to be used for a strap used to pull from both of the attachment points on the front of a vehicle (particularly useful when neither point is especially strong, such as on most subis).

eg:

thanks for that. would make sense do have one.
how strong are the tow point on a forester, anyone know?
2008 zook jimny -sold!

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:43 pm

was looking at kit like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ironman-4x4- ... 3f14f0cbb8
peoples thoughts?
2008 zook jimny -sold!

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 pm

thunder039 wrote:first off whats a bridle?
"distribution strap" is the term used more often.
thunder039 wrote:was looking at kit like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ironman-4x4- ... 3f14f0cbb8
peoples thoughts?
As a kit its not bad value BUT...its an 8T snatch. You want 5T max for our little Subies. Any more & it just doesnt have the stretch required & you risk pulling a tie down point or worse!

Plus you still need to get a distribution strap.

I have:

RIDGE RYDER 5,000KG SUV SNATCH STRAP - Supercheap Auto Australia has done well in tests

Plus:
RIDGE RYDER 8,000KG EQUALIZER STRAP - Supercheap Auto Australia

and:
BLACK RAT 4.7 TONS 19x22 mm BOW SHACKLE - eBay
BLACK RAT 3.2 TONS 16x19 mm x2 BOW SHACKLES - eBay

Leather gloves are $5 from Bunnings & Im using an old day pack but any bag will do.
I also use the tow bar tongue (with ball removed) as the tow point.

Total cost is $120.
thunder039 wrote: how strong are the tow point on a forester, anyone know?
Not very, hence the need to "distribute" the strain between both tie down points.

Also note, Subies dont have "tow points", they have "tie down points", used for tying down the car on a tow truck. As such, they are as weak as p***! Several people on these forums have damaged theirs. Taza has even ripped his out, causing considerable damage!

Another reason to use as light a snatch as possible, so that is the weakest link. If the tie down point or shackle breaks, it can fly through the air like a whip & easily go through a windscreen or anyone in the way.

Note also, NEVER EVER use a tow ball as a tow point...it can snap off & has caused deaths. If you remove the ball, the tongue makes an excellent tow point & a 4.7T shackle fits here. Use 3.2T shackles for the front points
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 pm

nachaluva
i basically brought esactly what links you put up.
plus the tow bar recovery hitch which is also ridge rider, they seem to be a good price
2008 zook jimny -sold!

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:39 pm

I would say the front tow points are very very strong for what they are but you should definately use a distribution strap.

When mine got ripped I was really really stuck. It didn't rip the point off just where it attached to it ripped the body work. With a good few tonnes of force though on it! But using both with a strap to snatch from I wouldn't be worried about at all.

We live and learn though and the best way is to learn from your mistakes!

How my car came out after this. If I had Maxtrax though I would of been out in about 30mins tops with abit of digging compared to 7hours bogged! I luckily finally found someone though who was able to pull me out.

Note: its steeper than it looks and when i had to turn at the top i just ran out of clearance.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 pm

unlucky! hopefully the distribution strap will prevent that
2008 zook jimny -sold!

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:51 pm

good pics by the way, i only have one or two from when i got beached realy bad in a muddy rut, wasnt fun trying to get out with rope! hence why i decided to get snatchy's!
2008 zook jimny -sold!

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:56 pm

thunder039 wrote:good pics by the way, i only have one or two from when i got beached realy bad in a muddy rut, wasnt fun trying to get out with rope! hence why i decided to get snatchy's!
Can you post them up? Ive found with my 2.5inch of lift at the moment it makes alot of difference, just the bumpers are the problem really.

When stuck in ruts and that you don't really want to be snatched but more slowly pulled as snatching could cause you to hit something else, generally something hard like a rock and do other damage. This is from my experience though.

I actaully spent a heap of time last night going through all my pics and vids of my car when offroading and most of the car being stock. Some of it was really funny and some of the stuff my friends and I did!

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:02 pm

no pics at the moment still on the phone, even with my 1.5inch lift i have noticed its a huge improvement, tires and sump guard still on the way when funds will allow. dont think much else will follow that
2008 zook jimny -sold!

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:05 pm

thunder039 wrote:no pics at the moment still on the phone, even with my 1.5inch lift i have noticed its a huge improvement, tires and sump guard still on the way when funds will allow. dont think much else will follow that
Really?? That sucks, I am slowly modding her so shes good on and offroad. The LSD's should make onroad performance better too added with the extra power from the superchager. Body roll is something that needs improving too.

Return to “Product Reviews”