Accuracy of breathalysers?

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
sabrina

Accuracy of breathalysers?

Post by sabrina » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Anyone familiar with breathalyser? is it advisable to have one and is it accurate?

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Safest and cheapest way is to not drink & drive in the first place, catch a cab - bus or some other means of public transport.

Lose your license, pay a big fine, possibly lose your job into the bargain and it becomes extremely expensive.

Sorry for the lecture but it is the only safe way.

8-) 8-)
Peter

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks Yarney :)

As for the original poster, there are many different types on the market, so it's hard to say all are accurate. Best to do as Subyroo says and don't drink and drive.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:24 pm

We have one called an enforcer 3 which is accurate to australian standards. Unsure of its accuracy compared to a police one.

Its brilliant to have as an indication. Im a P plater so its mainly useful to check im completely clean in the morning after a big night.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

sabrina

Post by sabrina » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Davidov wrote:We have one called an enforcer 3 which is accurate to australian standards. Unsure of its accuracy compared to a police one.

Its brilliant to have as an indication. Im a P plater so its mainly useful to check im completely clean in the morning after a big night.
yes you right, Enforcer 3 is a brand?

I've read this link and bought this

breathalyser,http://www.breathalyzer.com.au/alcosens ... eathalyzer

I'm happy with it and got the delivery 2 days after i place my order. I don't drink and drive just wanted to make sure even after a glass of wine..

sabrina

Post by sabrina » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:10 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Thanks Yarney :)

As for the original poster, there are many different types on the market, so it's hard to say all are accurate. Best to do as Subyroo says and don't drink and drive.
yes thanks Subyroo and I just purchased one the alcosense pro, don't worry i don't drink and drive just wanted to make sure :)

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:17 pm

sabrina wrote:yes you right, Enforcer 3 is a brand?

I'm happy with it and got the delivery 2 days after i place my order. I don't drink and drive just wanted to make sure even after a glass of wine..
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/alcolimit ... pQodYxQAMQ

Looks identical to yours haha. We only paid ~120 for it so its all good. :p

Specs and operating wise they are different they just share a casing.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 pm

sabrina wrote:yes you right, Enforcer 3 is a brand?

:confused: :confused:
Peter

sabrina

Post by sabrina » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Davidov wrote:http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/alcolimit ... pQodYxQAMQ

Looks identical to yours haha. We only paid ~120 for it so its all good. :p

Specs and operating wise they are different they just share a casing.
Ohhh i see, yeah they look the same but different name hahaha:D:D yeah they are different in specs ..hope they're both accurate :)

sabrina

Post by sabrina » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Read this.. breathalyser can detect cancer? something's new :)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/breath ... al+News%29

Gone Fishing

Post by Gone Fishing » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 pm

The alcometers that you buy from the shops can be accurate to start with but the trouble with them is that as far as I am aware they are never recalibrated once they have been bought. The ones that the police use are calibrated every 12 months to ensure their accuracy. Also as any police officer will tell you they are only an indication (Fairly good one though). Once a positive indication has been obtained the police will then take you for further breath analysis on a fully scientifically calibrated instrument.

sabrina

Post by sabrina » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 am

Gone Fishing wrote:The alcometers that you buy from the shops can be accurate to start with but the trouble with them is that as far as I am aware they are never recalibrated once they have been bought. The ones that the police use are calibrated every 12 months to ensure their accuracy. Also as any police officer will tell you they are only an indication (Fairly good one though). Once a positive indication has been obtained the police will then take you for further breath analysis on a fully scientifically calibrated instrument.
The breathalyser i bought should be calibrated every 6 months or 200 use which ever comes first and the company where I bought it would be the one to calibrate it. Yes the basis would be that of the police officer, but at least if you just had a drink you can test yourself before driving. I have a friend he would test himself before going to office if he was drunk the night before, because for some people the alcohol stays in the body that long.

sabrina

Post by sabrina » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:33 am

I read this : A lot I'm sure doesn't know this

Why must I wait 15 to 20 minutes after consuming food or alcohol to ensure testing results are accurate?

A breathalyzer is able to calculate this percentage using only a breath sample because of the precise relationship between alcohol in the blood and alcohol metabolized into the lungs from the bloodstream. As such, it is important to make sure the mouth is clear of contaminant (including alcohol) so that the breath sample contains pure lung air, or as close as possible.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:38 pm

You need to wait a while after your last alcoholic drink so the breathalyser gets an accurate reading. So its reading the alcohol in your blood, not your mouth.

I wouldnt think it matters when you've eaten as long as its not alcoholic, eg, tirumisu or trifle, etc.

Note also that mouthwash & cough syrup are highly alcoholic & affect your BAC & breathalyser readings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Product Reviews”