Cardone reman. Distributors

Put your take on things that go into Subies here ...
Silverbullet

Cardone reman. Distributors

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm looking for a new dizzy to put in the ute, the old ones advance mechanism isn't working correctly and I don't feel like taking it apart to find out why. Looking on ebay US there are pages and pages of re-manufactured electronic and points based units, MY and L series done by Cardone industries(?) for around $140 plus $30 or so postage. The pics look good but question is are they any good? Seems like someone is taking original units and rebuilding them but to what degree? Pics show nice clean dizzy with apparently new ignition module, would they have taken the play out of the dizzy shaft? And are they actually compatible. Or am I going to be the guinea pig and find out the answers to these questions the hard way :rolleyes:

Here's the product I'm talking about
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cardone-Dist ... 5f4&_uhb=1
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Surely there is someone who can rebuild a dizzy here for you ? Modules retail about $100 here, or half that in the US, we have advancediaphragmoptions.com in Brissy ? that rebuild vac cans Learjet Dr Caboulture...maybe he can steer you in right local direction for rebush, grease up, check graph etc.
Check out tambox - might dob him for a few of his skills :)

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm kind of looking for something to just bolt in, no down time while my old one is rebuilt or swapping back to points in the mean time :???:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 pm

I used to send my dizzys to a guy in Melbourne to regraph for me but not sure if they are still around.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:49 am

This isn't really the info what you are after but if you are after a vacuum advance only I seem to recall new ones on ebay.
Might look at getting one of these myself

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Well I did buy one of these Cardone dizzys in the end, quite some time ago now. Only just got around to putting it in!

So turns out these are re-built in Mexico of all places :shock: It does indeed look like brand new, mine was electronic ignition with electronic module included so just plug and play but no serial # or brand name to speak of. Should have taken some photos to show, looks decent enough everything media blasted/re-painted. Drive gear down the bottom looked slightly worn so they obviously just clean up the old gear to re-use. Trigger wheel thingy looked as good as any. I bought it hoping to sort out a weird pinging issue I've had; always put it down to the dizzy advance now working properly but now I'm not so sure.

So I installed it, no dramas there, fired her up and it was spot on timing wise first crack! :) Took it for a drive and noticed no difference at all over the old dizzy...dang. Problem is bobbing along at 60 km/h in 4th at low throttle I can hear a very faint rattling sound, exactly like pinging and very persistent. Even with next to no load it's still there even though I'm using 98 RON with timing at 8 degrees BTDC. If I open the throttle a bit more it goes away. 60 k's in third is no problem.

So it must be running lean I hear you say? Yet spark plugs are text book tan colour, isn't that perfect running? And this Weber running on 98 uses more fuel than my old Hitachi even with economic driving. Maybe I should open the mixture screw a touch. Or install a O2 sensor in the exhaust to see what's really going on here.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:53 pm

got any nipples need greasing ? Fixed a weird ting ting noise, that was different in MY single piece tail shaft to two piece L tail shaft . Vehicle speed related not engine speed related.

You need one of Willys unequals - won't be able to hear the pinging noise, and you'll be shifting down to take on the WRX you hear coming up behind you :p

Return to “Product Reviews”