Bluetooth Conenctivity - aftermarket

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
Jamo

Bluetooth Conenctivity - aftermarket

Post by Jamo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Hi all - I have recently purchased a 3.0R Premium Wagon, and was a little shocked to hear it'll cost $700 to put the bluetooth connectivity in between my phone and stereo from Suabru - anyone know if/where I can do this for cheaper?

I'm in Perth - thanks heaps

Jamo

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:21 am

What kind of phone do you have?

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:01 pm

$700 !!!!!

holy crap this is one hell of an easy job.

i did it on my RS and it took me not to long.

shouldnt cost much if you get an auto electrician to do it.

as long as you can get the stereo out it is a piece of cake.
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:12 pm

Maybe a aftermarket headunit with bluetooth would be cheaper including installation.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:56 pm

Get a place that has experience fitting stereos and handsfree kits. Auto electricians are generally NOT a good place to start.

I work in such a place in Perth but without a phone type a price would just be a guess.

With the price of Pioneer stereos with bluetooth built in these days then if money is a factor and it has a single DIN (normal size) stereo then that would be your go.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:39 am

Have you seen the stereo's in Outback's from MY04 on?
The HVAC and Stereo are all one piece.

To put in an aftermarket stereo, you need to buy a Facia kit where you get the centre console surround, a new seperate HVAC unit and a double din hole (literally a hole, no pockets etc, they are extra), cost is somewhere around the $800 mark, plus the new head unit, so that $700 for a genuine part and fit looks like an ok price.

Maybe try looking at japanparts.com and see if they list one on the Bluetooth kits.

Point

Post by Point » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:37 am

i just use a Nokia car kit. The bluetooth should hook up to any brand of phone. It does use it's own speaker, but you can wire up a relay which switches the radio off when it rings. Last i checked they were about $250 fitted. Having a Nokia phone i also have the lead from the kit poking out from under the console, so i can charge the phone on long trips.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:30 pm

Nokia bluetooth kits will hook up to all bluetooth phones but definately will not function correctly with a lot of phones. If it's a Nokia phone it will work with the Nokia CK7W kits... if it's not nokia, research if it will work or test it out before u buy one.

I seriously doubt you can get it done in Perth for $250 but who knows what dodgy Straithfeilds charges these days.

Dave

Jamo

Post by Jamo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi all - thanks for all your replies.. A bit of info..

I have a blackberry - so was *hoping* that I could just have the phone in the car, and when it rings, the radio would mute, the called ID would appear on the stereo etc.

That being said, I spoke to a guy based over East recommended from another forum, and he said it was not doable in a new model Subaru, something abour 4 pin relays etc - you would have to go an after market model (ie parrot)

So called back Subaru, and they said yeah - we can do it, we hook it up through your sat nav - I said I don't have sat nav, and they said - (you guessed it) - Oh, thats not possible.

Kind of frustrating I just spent mid 50's on a car, and it doesn't have the ability to upgrade to bluetooth - not too keen to spend 4K on putting in factory sat nav (and then 700!)

So would be keen to hear what other people have done.

Thanks heaps for all your replies.

Cheers

Jamo

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Purchase a blue tooth hands free kit. I have one in my work car made by a company called Parrot. It has a separate screen for caller id you can access your phone book through the screen it also mutes the radio as well

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

callan_01

Post by callan_01 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:36 pm

......bluetooth is soo frustrating.

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”