Extra speakers in L series wagon

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
cabsav

Extra speakers in L series wagon

Post by cabsav » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi everyone

Hoping for some help...

I have a 1990 sports "summer" wagon and i've chucked a good head unit in it with the help of a fasia, put some half decent 4" speakers in the front doors with the help of a jigsaw!

Now what I want to do is get some extra speakers in the car somewhere to help with the sound!

I am not interested in filling up half the back with subs/amps or any of that stuff... really just wondering if there is somewhere I can fit in a pair of 4/6/6x9 speakers without too much effort!

What have you guys done?

Thanks
Mitch

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:33 pm

Hey Mitch, welcome to the forum!

I've got a set of 6 inch's in the rear doors. The previous owner cut the holes for it so the hard part was done. I've got a set of 6x9's that will probabily reside here once I get hold of an amp to run the properly with the 6 inches moving to a set of boxes in the rear cargo area. I'll probabily mount them on top of the wheel guards.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:32 pm

I just mounted some speakers on some mdf and carpeted it, I already had the wires running into my tailgate though. Then screwed throught the plastic tailgate trim into the metal behind, sorta sandwiching the plastic.

Cheap easy and looks ok.

Or you could mount them where the storage compartments are on either side.

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Decent power and quality front speakers is all you need - most modest systems comprise of a sub and fronts only running off one amp.

Rear 'fill' is highly over rated.

Save your time and effort and invest in a modest amp under the front seat for the fronts.

I have used this configuration for years in differing cars - just try fading the rears in a decent system and you'll see.

sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

cabsav

Post by cabsav » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

In the back doors are there holes in the metal? or does the whole lot need to be cut?

The the 6x9's in the MDF look good to... how much room do they take up? Sometimes I have the thing loaded up to the max and every bit of space counts!

I'm not really interested in AMPs... I find a decent head unit good enough!

I really want extra sound in the back because I do like balance when carrying passengers etc!

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:29 pm

It does stick out a fair bit I'd guess about 2cm for the board and an extra 1cm for the speakers, If i did it again id glue 2 thinner bit's of mdf together using 1 to counter sink the speakers, giving them some more protection.

Im not sure about the back doors, havent taken the trims off mine.

I think sven's suggestion is the best, Every car audio forum ive seen recommends good fronts and cheap rears (if using rears at all).

I did mine like that because I already had those speakers. Since installing it ive blow 1 of the 6x9's and just disconnected them both, I'll probably just buy cheap 6x9's 2ways to fill the hole's now. Ive also bought some jaycar 6.5" splits to put in the doors now, there apparently good value for their performance, but if your not amplifying them im not sure if they will go that loud.

Maybe you could put the 4" in the rear and get some bigger ones for the front?

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Is ok not to into amps / high end stuff etc - our family car uses just the (albeit) after market head unit.

With any speakers it is all in the installation MDF / dynamat - rather than mounting straight metal will make a world of difference. Even expensive speakers sound crap with poor attention to the install.

Take your time, plan, and enjoy!

sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

tex

Post by tex » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:50 pm

Check out my install in the front it works very well especially with good quality 6s should sit nicely in yours too. Do a search under speaker rattle.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Benno

Post by Benno » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:33 pm

i fitted 2 little 10cm ones in front doors and 2 6x9 speakers to the rear tailgate kind of like what daveosubi has done in the pic he posted.

running the speaker wire to the back was a bit of a **** around but it sounds great.

just have to watch you dont slam the tail gate...

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:28 pm

i had some 6.5inch focal splits in the front, fitted easy with some slight chopping, 6x9's in the rear compartment pockets, a focal sub in the boot and the amps bolted to the back of the seats. It was a massive system and sounded great. Used heaps of dynamat.

i also disagree that rear fill isnt important. its very very very important. Makes a MASSIVE difference to sq and volume. For example im running some very high end hertz splits in the front of my liberty with a ****load of power running through them, sure they sounded awesome, but there was just something lacking, rear fill fixed that problem. you have to experience it to know what i mean.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

iananita

Post by iananita » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:24 am

I put 6x9 in the Liberty's tail gate sounds great for rear seat passengers.
I made low profile boxes from 12mm mdf mounted them behind the trim.
Added extra weight to tail gate, so had to regas struts so the kids could lift it.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:50 pm

These are 6x9 boxes that i cut down and screwed to the door. Sound great and dont take up much space.

Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

cabsav

Post by cabsav » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:36 pm

Hmm just found holes in the metal that should fit a pair of 6.5" speakers nicely! Just gotta hack away some of the door trim!

Any tips on the best way to run the wires?

RX Coupe

Post by RX Coupe » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:29 pm

I had 6 inch 3-way speakers in the front and rear doors on my L series. I also fitted them to my brothers Lseries as well. It was decent sounding. My L already had 6 inch rear speakers with the stock factory ones in the front so not many mods required.

Cheers,
Cars: 02 Subaru Outback
85 Subaru RX Turbo Coupe (sold)
92 Subaru Brumby (sold)

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”