Gen1 Liberty Front Speakers/Sound System

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
RetroLover

Gen1 Liberty Front Speakers/Sound System

Post by RetroLover » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:15 am

I was working on the Liberty this weekend and ive started to begin putting the sound system i had in my Leone into the Liberty. There a few things that i have come across.

1. I began to put the Clarion Spilts in, i had into the Libery and the speaker diameter is 6" can you use the exsisting plastic hold things that the original speakers are in? or do you have to get new ones in to fit the speakers in securly?

2. Ive put in my Clarion Deck unit which i bought back in 2005 from the Leone to the Liberty. It works all good, but the interesting thing is the Deck stays on after the car is turned off and the keys are out. But it evently turns itself off after the arial has fully retracted. Is this normally, or have i done the wiring incorrectly?

Thanks.

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 am

i used the old plastic spacer.....the head deck will do that,its normal it has a delay
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 am

yeah my clarion has a delay also.

Id get the proper spacers. Either mdf or plastic. You dont really get a perfect fit with the original spacers. Its important to get an airtight fit to achieve the speakers maximum bass and responsivness. Dynamat your door if youre serious about it.

Alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks guys.

Hmmm ive got an idea now. But the only way to fix the speaker into the spacer is some sorta ahesive in which i dont want to do, i might want to put these clarion splits into another car later on, these spilts where fantastic in the Leone, 250Watt 6"splits with a crossover box that you can connect to the amp unit for the best audio quality. Can you buy custom spacers somewhere that will have a tight fit for more modern speakers? Who out there also has put spilts in a Gen1 Liberty?

Ive been hacking away with the front spacer units and the speaker appears to be welded to the spacer unit. Do i need to give it a good wack with a hammer or something?

Shit.. Maybe i should get a pro in to do this i dont want to **** up anything in my new Liberty. Already accedently broke the facial around the deck unit in the car cause i had no idea what i was doing, a lest i have found a replacment facial.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:54 pm

mate

the stock spacers are spot welded to the factory speakers. just drill the spot welds out.

then use some small right angle brackets to hold your clarions to the factory spacers.

its by far the best way to do it in a gen1
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks ill give that a try.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:25 pm

shesh. Spend the $5 for mdf spacers and screw them to the doors and then screw the speakers to the spacers.

Ill get sum pics of the install i did in my sis's gen1. Its real easy.

Alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:43 pm

mdf spacers dont fit properly with some speakers. the metal factory spacer sits the speaker on an angle and it fits much better
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:47 pm

without getting narky haha :)

once youve finished mangling the stock speaker you can never mount the speaker nicely into it. Very prone to rattles also.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:50 pm

so why did you mangle it? its not difficult to drill out 4 spot welds!

i line the top of the spacer with stick on foam between the spacer and speaker = no rattles.

retrolover - theres 2 options for ya ;) you choose

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:48 pm

i fit my clarion 2ways to the door with no spacers? and they had big magnets.
gen1 also
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:20 pm

then they dont have big magnets ;) well not deep anyway

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:47 pm

This appears to be a bigger bitch than i originally thought. I dont really want some loose fitting speaker that rattles and sound like shitter than shit.

Hmmm i might go to Westside Audio and order in some custom spacers for the front doors, thats if they exsist, because they 1686 Clarion splits dont have a snug fit connection.

Ive installed the rear clarion speakers i had in the Leone into the Liberty a few weeks earlier. They sounded awsome in the Leone, the speakers where 6" 3way speakers with 200W. Now in the Liberty they sound like shit. im going to re-network the rear speaker cables from the deck unit to the rear speakers maybe that will solve some of the shit audio quality im hearing. They rattle, and have static. It never had that in my 89 Leone GL. Now i wish my old car didnt get into that ****in prang. Damn best car ive ever owned.

Im being really careful because if somthing breaks ive first got to find the part then pay a small forturne for it.

----------------------------------

I was thinking where i could locate my Amp unit. Can it be put under the rear seats out of sight, or this a dumb idea.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:35 pm

I used the old spacer.
To get the old speaker off the spacer, I used a butter knife, flat head screw driver and a hammer. Bit of mucking about, but got them off eventually. The spacers had bent a little in the process, but were easy enough to bend back to normal.

I put felt in the hole of the spacer and then stuck the speaker over the top, screwed the spacer to the door and used sandwich ties to hold the speaker to the spacer haha, I'll try and find a pic.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:19 am

vincentvega wrote:then they dont have big magnets ;) well not deep anyway
its not the size its how you use it :rolleyes:

jokes
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:14 am

Hey guys. Im just wondering who out there has installed a reasonably good sound system into a/or there Gen1 Liberty wagen, that includes the amp and the Sub.

I was wondering can the amp unit be placed underneth the rear seats. Or is this an area where its not smart to do something like this? Where abouts did you guys secure down your amp unit inside your Gen1 Liberty Wagen? Also outta sight of pepping eyes.

Thanks.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:46 am

under the seats is ok on a road car although airflow wont be optimum. Back of the backseats is a good option. Can get it nice and neat on the backseats also.

You dont want people kicking the wires when theyre under the seats.

Its up to you really
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:50 pm

vincentvega wrote:mate

the stock spacers are spot welded to the factory speakers. just drill the spot welds out.

then use some small right angle brackets to hold your clarions to the factory spacers.

its by far the best way to do it in a gen1
I did that and managed to get the old speakers out of the spacer units today, one came out cleanly, the other one came out a bit ****ed. Broke a drill attachment while drilling through them. Next week im going to put them in with my Clarion splits, im hoping that they will come out sounding good.

Thanks guys again for useful practical information:D

RetroLover

Post by RetroLover » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:50 pm

With the donar doors that Andrew gave me i now have another set of orginal Gen1 Liberty Spacers. Does anybody desperatly want a set?

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:19 am

How did your sub and amp install go?
Since I last replied in here, I've now put an amp under the passenger seat, gets cool air from those two air things under the seat, to cure the wire problem, just have the amp set up 'sideways', so intruding feet will only kick a side with no wires, thats if feet can get under your seat in the first place.

I just recently put my amp under water, when I got bogged in a puddle, its all dry (still dirty) and the subs haven't missed a beat (excuse the pun ;))

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”