A simple AM/FM radio. Brumby

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
Lang

A simple AM/FM radio. Brumby

Post by Lang » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Greetings and a great New Year to all. Any recommendations on a plain old FM/AM radio, maybe with CD player to replace to old unit in the Brumby?, I'm in and out of hills all day and the old unit is about stuffed ,have to replace it so was wondering on Brand Names to look for. Um, something that would take a bit of a shake up and our friend,the dust.. Lang.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:23 pm

if you go through dust alot id recommend a flip down face style. They prevent sand and dust and crap getting into the unit via the cd slot.

you can get pretty good stuff for cheap these days. Look into clarion which is one of my favs and very skip resistant. Otherwise alpine is always good.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Lang

Post by Lang » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks Alex, am going into town tomorrow to buy a unit so will follow your advise. I do about 900 Klm. week on gravel so that annoys radios and etc; will check out the Brands you mentioned.. Don't want anything fancy, mainly radio and I guess a CD thing would be OK. I'll wack it in and let you know.. Lang.

ian059

Post by ian059 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:06 pm

I got a great unit from Aldi for AU$89 for my Daughters Brumby.

the gumbi brumby

Post by the gumbi brumby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm

a litle custom work to get any thing elce than standerd to fit a brumby
im running a kenwood
E10 BLEND KILLS CARBY CARS AND RUSTS STEEL TANKS

ian059

Post by ian059 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:50 pm

the gumbi brumby wrote:a litle custom work to get any thing elce than standerd to fit a brumby
im running a kenwood
True indeed!!!

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:32 am

this link might help you if you are taking the old am fm radio out and looking to modify the face;

showthread.php?t=5681

i have been really happy with my new facia, and it wa pretty simple.
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

Lang

Post by Lang » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Decided rather than do too much surgery to the Brumby, I'm going to try a GME marine type AM/FM sealed radio, dust proof I hope, will fit this weekend and let you know how it goes. I don't want a CD player or such, just the radio.They appear to be compact so here's hoping..

Lang

GME fitted. (GR100)

Post by Lang » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:52 pm

Bit of delay with reply,my apologies. The radio fitted beautifully, just enough room on facia to have the radio and still retain the ash tray ,never and will never be used :), and looks very good. Only had to remove a fraction of plastic to fit and make up a couple of holding straps, the radio unit is only 58mm deep so leaves a lot of space behind it. Good reception also and good value for money if you shop around. Lang

tex

Post by tex » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:10 am

Curious does it come with an input to plug things in such as an Ipod or discman and do you have any pics of it installed.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Lang

Post by Lang » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:53 pm

Hi Tex, not that I can find, still I'm a Luddite when it comes to this stuff. As I mentioned before, all I wanted wanted is a simple radio that would last and as this thing is waterproof , so it should help with dust. Someone told me about an Ipod or such that you tune into a radio frequency in your car and it plays through the speakers, others would know.
As I travel about 900 klm weekly over crap gravel roads, this I hope will fill the bill.It was easy and cosmetically pleasing to fit and works well. What I'd look for if I was 'doing the Grey Nomad' thing, with a cheap disposable audio as a throw away item when it stuffed up. (It just crossed my mind that with the tragedy in Victoria, a reliable radio would be a good thing).

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”