6 x 9's for good bass?

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
kona480

6 x 9's for good bass?

Post by kona480 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi
I have a brumby and am wondering if 6x9 speakers will give me good bass? I was thinking of getting a sub but don't want to spend that much and go to the trouble of getting a box and amp etc. At the moment i have a VDO head unit and 2 speakers in the doors which have good sound but no bass at all. So would 6x9's give me good bass?

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:27 pm

even 6x9's wont sound terribly bassy without an amp giving them more juice. if your that keen on the bass i would bit the bullit and get a sub, for a brumby a bazooka tube and small amp is more then sufficient

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

kona480

Post by kona480 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:32 pm

D3V1L wrote:even 6x9's wont sound terribly bassy without an amp giving them more juice. if your that keen on the bass i would bit the bullit and get a sub, for a brumby a bazooka tube and small amp is more then sufficient

dave
In my mates lancer he just has 2 6x9's and no amp or any other speakers and they sound great, plenty of bass

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:50 am

It depends on what kinda bass u want.

If you want punchy music, a pair of 6x9s in sealed or properly ported enclosures will be fine, driven directly from your head unit.

If you want doof doof style bass, go for the sub and amp
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:22 am

lol sorry i should have mentioned im crazy about my car audio, and to me, bass only acheivable with big expensive things..ahahaha

yeh if punch is wot ur after, the 6x9s will be fine but have them in ported boxes

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Wouldn't a 10" sub be good enough for punchy music with a pair of 'good' 6" speakers? And also offers that 'doof doof' bass..

swooper

Post by swooper » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 pm

different cars have different shapes, cabin space and materials, therefore there are many things worth considering for your audio.
I had two 5 inch in the front, and a sub in the back, and that worked, but by adding 2 4-way sony 6x9, i found the sound was boosted in both clarity and power of both bass and highs.
my suggestion would be to get the 6x9's and try to either attach or box them to the best effect, and if it doesnt cut it for you, then get a small 12 inch or less sub. Make the box yourself if you have the time, but not money. I picked up my 6x9 for 150, down from 250. i suggest a clarion sub at least.

Suby Scooby Doo

Post by Suby Scooby Doo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:07 am

If your after good clarity and bass, dont waste your time with 6x9s...(And subs are just stupid)
Go the Kenwood 7x10s, they put out 40% more bass than 6x9s, by design being an extra inch all round!!!! (The magnet itself weighs 510gms)
Not 100% sure if Kenwood still make em, should be able to get a good 2nd hand pair on ebay or sumthin otherwise.
I pulled out a pair I bought bout 7 years ago, pulling me teeth out as to where I was going to fit them in the Touring Wagon. (Bought em to put in ex missus car, rapt she didnt get those 2 aye, lol). Then last week I found a pair of enclosed 6x9 speaker boxes on ebay for $25.00 on Ebay (Buy, Swap or sell ya Soul), i tawt not even worth making them for that price aye...
They actually came by courier 2hrs ago, pretty excited...The 7x10s fit perfectly...
My idea is to mount em behind the rear seats in my touring wagon, with catches locking them in position so I can take em out when campin, or just when shootin out the back with the tailgate up, hehehe..
This is my 3rd set of 7x10s and I highly recommend them as a speaker, mine are the 320W 3-ways, not sure wot other power outputs they are available in...
I had a set of 320w 7x10s in the front doors of my HR ute, 180w Pioneer 6" in parcel shelf with a 400w amp

Suby Scooby Doo

Post by Suby Scooby Doo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:11 am

If your after good clarity and bass, dont waste your time with 6x9s...(And subs are just stupid)
Go the Kenwood 7x10s, they put out 40% more bass than 6x9s, by design being an extra inch all round!!!! (The magnet itself weighs 510gms)
Not 100% sure if Kenwood still make em, should be able to get a good 2nd hand pair on ebay or sumthin otherwise.
I pulled out a pair I bought bout 7 years ago, pulling me teeth out as to where I was going to fit them in the Touring Wagon. (Bought em to put in ex missus car, rapt she didnt get those 2 aye, lol). Then last week I found a pair of enclosed 6x9 speaker boxes on ebay for $25.00 on Ebay (Buy, Swap or sell ya Soul), i tawt not even worth making them for that price aye...I have noticed they seller has relisted these boxes, so must have a few more...
They actually came by courier 2hrs ago, pretty excited...The 7x10s fit perfectly...
My idea is to mount em behind the rear seats in my touring wagon, with catches locking them in position so I can take em out when campin, or just when shootin out the back with the tailgate up, hehehe..
This is my 3rd set of 7x10s and I highly recommend them as a speaker, mine are the 320W 3-ways, not sure wot other power outputs they are available in...
I had a set of 320w 7x10s in the front doors of my HR ute, 180w Pioneer 6" in parcel shelf with a 400w amp.........That was Ridiculous, awesome sound and clarity....

Thats me anyways, I get sum pics up o the boxes and the 88Touring Wagon soon aye..

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Suby Scooby Doo wrote:If your after good clarity and bass, dont waste your time with 6x9s...(And subs are just stupid)
I pulled out a pair I bought bout 7 years ago, pulling me teeth out as to where I was going to fit them in the Touring Wagon. (Bought em to put in ex missus car, rapt she didnt get those 2 aye, lol). Then last week I found a pair of enclosed 6x9 speaker boxes on ebay for $25.00 on Ebay (Buy, Swap or sell ya Soul), i tawt not even worth making them for that price aye...I have noticed they seller has relisted these boxes, so must have a few more...
I had a set of 320w 7x10s in the front doors of my HR ute, 180w Pioneer 6" in parcel shelf with a 400w amp.........That was Ridiculous, awesome sound and clarity....

Thats me anyways, I get sum pics up o the boxes and the 88Touring Wagon soon aye..

youve obviosuly never heard a real system then mate.

7x10s are okay if you dont want a sub, but if youre serious nothing will beat a sub.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Suby Scooby Doo

Post by Suby Scooby Doo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Yeah I have heard alot o those tosser systems...dont see the need anymore, I did about 20years ago wen I got me 1st car....different horses aye....

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:31 pm

tosser systems....far from it. A tosser system is 5xpioneer fully sick ulah 12inch 1000w MAX subs.

im a stiffler for sound quality and ive built my system around that.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Shallow mount Pioneer sub FTW. I only have a tiny box for mine and it thumps hard if I ever wanted it to. Set it right and it's golden in the Brumby.
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”