installing speakers in doors - no existing space

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
Mick2642

installing speakers in doors - no existing space

Post by Mick2642 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Hi again all. I'm back yet again to pick the very knowledgeable brains of AUsubaru members. :twisted:

I'm planning on installing 6" Pioneer speakers (already bought) in the doors of my '82 wagon. I have a stash of MDF and Plastic speaker spacers, from 16mm to 1.5". There are no existing door speakers at the moment.

I'm hoping that someone here has done it before successfully and can share some hints & tips on doing it. I have got my hands on both a bit of fiberglass backing (the original plan) and a roll of speaker box lining (layered foam and rubber matting). I'm also getting some flexible stuff to run the cables in (like what is found on alot of new cars with power windows, etc.).

I'm planning to take the door trim off, cut the holes in the trim (out of range of the window winders), install the spacers, screw in the speakers, and then, with the aid of some spray-on adhesive stick the insulation (rubber mat or fiberglass) to the inside of the door.

Am I on the right track so far, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance, Cheers.
Sign here... :twisted:

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:09 am

There's always room for speakers.

98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:19 am

Mick2642 wrote:Hi again all. I'm back yet again to pick the very knowledgeable brains of AUsubaru members. :twisted:

I'm planning on installing 6" Pioneer speakers (already bought) in the doors of my '82 wagon. I have a stash of MDF and Plastic speaker spacers, from 16mm to 1.5". There are no existing door speakers at the moment.

I'm hoping that someone here has done it before successfully and can share some hints & tips on doing it. I have got my hands on both a bit of fiberglass backing (the original plan) and a roll of speaker box lining (layered foam and rubber matting). I'm also getting some flexible stuff to run the cables in (like what is found on alot of new cars with power windows, etc.).

I'm planning to take the door trim off, cut the holes in the trim (out of range of the window winders), install the spacers, screw in the speakers, and then, with the aid of some spray-on adhesive stick the insulation (rubber mat or fiberglass) to the inside of the door.

Am I on the right track so far, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance, Cheers.
Use Dynamat and search

As for that door...well...
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:22 pm

What we were going to do with ours was cut the speaker mounts out of L series front doors and mount them in the doors which then gives speaker mounts in the M.Y. series. The only thing is , the L series mounts have to mounted off the door a little to allow for the depth of what ever speaker you are putting in so the window can still go up and down.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

someguy

Post by someguy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:27 am

sven '2' wrote:Use Dynamat and search

As for that door...well...
+1 for dynamat

Used it on all my cars now, no more rattles and much better sound quality
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

TheInterceptor

Post by TheInterceptor » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:57 pm

So mick2642, what did you end up doing?
yeah i know its a bit of an old thread but....

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”