L Series - front speakers only - wiring query

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
Dave72

L Series - front speakers only - wiring query

Post by Dave72 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:37 am

Basically my question is, when running 2 front speakers only (it's a wagon), what do you do with the surplus wires from the head unit for the rear speakers (at the moment I just have the rear speaker wires covered and turned the fader full up to the front speakers).

In the past, I was told that you should always join the front/rear positive channels together (same with negative) etc. Something about burning out the internal amps??? Do you get more power output by joining them, or do you stuff up the head unit?

I know this didn't seem to hurt head units a decade ago, but the latest units have some different "protection" which doesn't like the dodgy configuration I described.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:28 am

The manual that comes with the unit should tell you but if not then I'd run down to Jaycar and buy yourself a couple of 8ohm resistors and solder them onto the rear output wires and continue to have the fader setting all the way to the front.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Dave72

Post by Dave72 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

One manual I have is for a Kenwood unit (died with the "protection" message)... the one I just bought is a Gearflag. Both manuals just assume you have 4 speakers... which I guess is fair enough, since that would normally be my preference... with a decent 12 inch sub woofer.

I'll give the 8 ohm resistor thing a go, at least that should guarantee I won't damage anything.

I love what some people have been doing with the L-Series wagon installations, but unfortunately I need the real estate for my bike and surfboard.

Cheers,
Dave

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 am

Also just thinking about it.. my L.Series touring wagon has speakers in the passenger rear doors :) it might pay you to fit a pair of speakers in there?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:49 am

just leave it, tape them up and fade it to the front as you have it.

DO NOT join the fronts and rears together, this is the same as bridging an external amp, the deck isnt able to be bridged and youll probably do more harm than good i reckon.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

tex

Post by tex » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Alex wrote:just leave it, tape them up and fade it to the front as you have it.

alex
Bang on the money
this gets my vote too this is the way all mine hve been done and my brumby has been working like that with the same speakers and head unit for the last 8 years!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Id suggest rewiring the front speakers from the headunit to the doors

My L series factory wiring had a common negative and would make the headunit overheat.

Find the speaker wires in the kick panel (i think its either a green or a pink plug) and run some figure 8 cable from there back to the headunit
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Dave72

Post by Dave72 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I've noticed a couple of people say there are common negatives in the L-Series, but mine definitely has independant wires run... not sure why though, because the speakers I replaced looked pretty original (I think they were 25 watt clarion dual cones, but I only glanced at them as they sailed gracefully into the bin).

"Bridged" was the term I have been searching for, thanks for that! Once you do a search on the right terminology, there's tons of explanations on why you don't want to draw more power from the head unit. Ideally, I want to use the two rear speaker wires to an amp and 12 inch sub woofer... that would sort everything out nicely.

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”