Scored a bargin from the wreckers!

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
ScubyRoo

Scored a bargin from the wreckers!

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:37 pm

I went to the wreckers today to find a replacement bonnet grill and ended up with these...

Sony X-plod 6.5" 3-ways, 170W. RRP $60

JVC 6.5" Components, reviewed here. 300W and damn they look cool! Shame I'll be hiding them behind the door grill... RRP $250!

And I paid a whopping $30! That is correct folks, thirty dollars for the whole lot!

The rears are pretty cheap so not expecting much out of them... at least they'll be better than the 15 year old fuzz makers currently installed.

But for the JVCs I was wondering if it's worth finding a small amp? The head unit is a 50wx4 Pioneer head unit, about 3 years old and was middle of the range at the time, paid about $250 discounted from $450.

Worth getting a small amp? I'm not chasing volume, just clarity at normal listening levels.

Installing tonight, will post a few progress pics :)

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Nice score especially for the money.

the JVC speakers have a 300 watt maximum, which is different to the continuous "RMS" figure and that is the one you really want to go with. It should be written under the 300 watt maximum figure.

I would say your 50 watt head will be enough to run the JVC speakers without any problems.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Forget stezza mods, I want to know when you've got that lift for the outback sorted AND when you can make the next trip - it's been too bloody long mate!!!

But I realise that work comes first, I know that sucks and it's something I'm hoping to have to deal with next year - meaning that I've got my official first full time job! No nibbles yet though :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 am

Good score! I'd probably forget the Sonys.

Re: the JVCs:
- not sure about this "max music power" thing...usually self-generated bollocks to enable them to quote bigger numbers (remember PMPO?). Should be a "RMS" value somewhere (not on website), my guess is 300W max music power is ~25W RMS. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power for some info.
- Probably next most important thing to do is to make sure you use good quality speaker cable and make sure the crossover and speaker polarities are wired correctly. Things may sound muddy and indistinct otherwise and possibly cause damage. Harness wiring generally doesn't cut it.
- 4x50W (which will be RMS) should be fine, in fact, reasonably matched. Don't worry about overdriving the speakers somewhat, just don't turn up to high/max volume. Underdriving (too underpowered an amplifier) is actually much worse due to distortion/clipping as you hit the amp limits. Matching components together is generally more important than actual output levels.
- Fiddle with the tweeter positions to get the best 'sound stage'. High freqs give positional info, hence you can generally stick a sub anywhere, like under the seat.
- A good positive & ground/negative power feed into the head unit will help too.

Enjoy!
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”