L series 93 stereo into 92 mode.

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
Cliff R
General Member

L series 93 stereo into 92 mode.

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:13 pm

What is going on.:confused:
I pulled the digital, duel speaker Subaru AM/FM radio out of a 93 L series wagon with the intention of putting it into my 92 Wagon which has only the basic Subaru push/pull analogue radio.
Wiring straight swap over and the digital radio fired up fine ready to go.
Put it into the dash and it is about 5 to 7mm too deep and hits on the heater/fan assembly behind the radio.
Really, did Subaru make this much of a change in 1 year.:mad:
There is nothing I can do to make the new radio fit. If I redrilled the mounting holes in the side plates to make the radio sit out of the dash further I will also have to modify the front fashia around the radio. I did not want to do this.
I dont want a CD player or to fit an aftermarket mounting kit as all the original stuff should fit.
All I want is an AM/FM stereo (2 x speakers) and I will connect via an MP3 wireless transmitter and an ipod etc with pre loaded music.
I seem to recall someone on the forum who went a similar way via ebay (no CD player and connecting via MP3 input) anyone recall who this was and the thread/topic used.
Not a happy camper as the Subaru digital unit is very good for what I want.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:38 pm

PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks Toonga
It may have been the info on the 3rd unit from ebay I recall.
Trying not to spend much cash at the moment so I can be ready (if it goes ahead) to buy the lift kit, replace the timing belts, and sort out the water and oil pumps.
I may have to stay with the single speaker analogue unit for a bit longer.
Still cant believe there would have been any changes in a 1 year time period on the same model of car.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:09 pm

PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Both of these wagons are either a DL or a touring wagon?

There are subtle wiring changes from year to year - which is why the best practise is to only get parts from the same MY as what your drive is ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Benny

Both cars are Sports Wagons, eg, Rola roof racks, Sunrasia's (Spelling) which are basically both DL's with not much else.
The thing is the Wiring is identical, plug either radio in and off you go. It is this silly 5 to 7mm difference in depth from where the mouning points are back to the heater.
I dont know if the 93 model is still in existance to make a visual comparison as I needed the front part of the exhaust last week and it was pulled off the 93 model by picking it up with a very big trackscavator/digging/big bucked/high lift machine. The last time I was this car it was being picked up by the roof at about the height of a house roof and turned over to get me the exhaust part.
El_Freddo wrote:Both of these wagons are either a DL or a touring wagon?

There are subtle wiring changes from year to year - which is why the best practise is to only get parts from the same MY as what your drive is ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Well that sucks !!
Went to the wreckers today to look at the 93 L series to solve the mystery of how come the radio fits into it but not my 92 L series and was told "it's gone"
"Gone I said", " yep, gone was the reply"
So when the front exhaust system was pulled off for me the car's next stop was the scrap metal yard. Now I dont know how the radio fitted, where the seperate green wire from the back of the radio went and I missed the little squate plastic screw supports to hold the radio in (I can get these from the other L series which is a 91 model though)
Bugger................

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”