Additional fuse for new stereo ?

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
Cliff R
General Member

Additional fuse for new stereo ?

Post by Cliff R » Sat May 25, 2013 4:04 pm

I am in the process of fitting the new stereo to the MY and I noted when I pulled the last one out (an aftermarket unit) that it had fitted an additional, inline fuse for the 12v (continuous) and the 12v (switched power).
The new stereo does not come with additional fuses so it would rely on the cars standard fuses.
With this new stereo there are both the 12V continuous and switched as well as a 12v illumination power lead.
Is it the general thought to still have the additional fuses or stay with the cars own fuses in the fuse box for protection.
The cars original stereo did not have additional fuses so I am wondering (apart from piece of mind) if additional fuses are really necessary, ie, is there a good reason for extra fuses ?
I wasn't going to put an extra fuse on the illumination lead either.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 25, 2013 6:19 pm

I'd be fusing the head unit/new stereo to be on the safe side. If you are old school like me you may have understood the continuous power was to power the clock and the switched by acc and IGN was to power up the unit/amp etc....somewhere along the line they changed it - and it means something if each circuit has different fuse ratings.
I kept blowing the main amp fuse coz it was a piddly 3A or something in the wiring, which used to be just for the clock. Now main power is constant with a 10 or 15A fuse and the piddly wire/low amp fuse is from ign/acc simply as a switch for relays? internally to allow the big power to switch ----if you follow?

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat May 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Yes, I think I will fuse the continuous and the switched 12v but will pick up a couple of spade fuse holders tomorrow as these are easier to mount behind the stereo in the console rather than the old round fuse type. I don't think I will fuse the 12v illumination though but haven't decided on this yet.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Is the 12v cont. in your car factory supplied or has it been run straight from the battery?

If the headunit doesnt come with fuses, it most likely doesnt need them. The new headunit likely has thermal and overload protection internally, the old one wouldnt have, hence the fuses.

The factory wiring will have the required fuses to protect the wiring at their source, ie. the fuse box.

But if a wire has been run from the battery for the 12v cont., it must have a fuse as close as possible to the battery to protect the wire
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”