Underseat speakers

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
Cliff R
General Member

Underseat speakers

Post by Cliff R » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Just building some info and opinions.
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with underseat speakers in their cars.
I see advantages in that wiring does not have to pass through doors and easy mounting but I also see a probability of loss of direct sound.
I already have speakers in the front doors of the MY but wonder if it would be worth including underseat speakers in the front instead of speakers down the back in the rear somewhere.

Bantum
General Member

Be Seated ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:04 am

Ok for sub woofers + low range stuff - anything in mid to high frequency, you'll want them in 'direct line of sight' - so not so good for them.

If you know anything about 'staging' & acoustics, its good to get them out front & close as possible to the real thing - depending on what sort of music you are into ... ;)

Ideally they'd be out on a pole 2- 3m away @ ear level - hence all manner of contraptions around trying to fit them in car doors & dashes, not ideal but close enough ... :evil:

In the Brumby I'm planning to put the 6x9 direct behind seat, with sub in between - yet to see how it goes ... :twisted:

Ciao, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:37 am

Did this years ago - back when there were ads in car magazines for entire seats with speakers built into them - just I found it easier to mount the massive single speaker for the car, magnet facing floor, attached to the springs of the driver seat. Think I felt more than I heard :D

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:36 am

Micro tweeters on a-pillar and mid range / bass through the under-the-seat speaker setup could work ok. The speakers in the doors just get muffled, and if you have door pockets it's even worse as the speakers then have to face directly into the seat squab.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Hmm, lots of good info.
Lots to consider.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:56 pm

You need a set of those (I think) mx5 seats with a set of speakers built into the head rests ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Bennie, when I go looking for seats I will keep this in mind

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”