Front speaker problem

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
theclick

Front speaker problem

Post by theclick » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Hey all.

I have reacently purchased some 6" split for the front doors of my 92 l -series wagon. tweeters are fit and all good to go but im having problems with mounting the front speakers.

Pretty much, the deal is, the original owner has cut holes for presumably 5inch speakers at the front. This is all well and good, it just means i have to mount my speakers on the cabin side of the door trim..Ill live.

Now the problem lies with the size of 6 inch speakers and that little ridge that runs the length of the top of the front passenger's door pockets. It seem it is virtually impossible to mount a 6" in the gap currently provided without the outter rim of the speaker overlapping this protruding ridge and giving me hell.

Can i ask how others have mounted 6" on the outter area of the door trim. I was thinking of getting a spacer but most of them extend to 6.5" and the problem just perpetuates.

About to go mental here. I like things neat.

cheers,

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:47 pm

build a door pod with a sheet of mdf and cover it like the ones in my car.

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:44 pm

heres my lovely focal mounted strait into the trim..heaps of dynamat made a big difference for me..

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

theclick

Post by theclick » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:24 pm

The problem I am encountering is that the speaker cover supplied with my front splits is homo erotic in shape. Instead of screwing on to the 6" screw holes, it screws into using the 6.5" screw holes that extend outside the normal speaker dimensions. This means that i get a horrible overlap on the ridge at the top of the door pocket. Sucks the big one.

I do like the idea of a mdf door pod, though because I had mounted the cross-overs in teh door pockets I would need to find somewhere else to put them (shouldnt be too difficult). Did you trim it or paint it?

90subie, how did you manage to mount it flush? Getting sick of driving around and having to listen to that annoying lifter tick because i got no stereo

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Here's what I did

It's not the neatest but it looks ok, If I had the time again id go with a mdf replacement like ladseds and try to include some sort of storage area as well as stronger cup holders.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:57 am

theclick wrote: 90subie, how did you manage to mount it flush? Getting sick of driving around and having to listen to that annoying lifter tick because i got no stereo
it took abit of stanley knife action to get the hole big enough, but i made it a very tight fit around the speaker to minimise rattling..my speakers also have a fancy way of mounting them where you can get the speaker to mount flush into the surround(very hard to explain) but yer stanley knife works well..

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

theclick

Post by theclick » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:15 pm

Thanks everyone. After some ruthless knifework, its all good.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:34 pm

I mounted my 6" speakers right back in the metal of the door with the speaker cover a good 1" away from the actual speaker. I didn't like having the heavy speaker completely mounted on the flimsy door trim itself. Pretty minimal butchering of the trim was required, and no rattling at all because the speaker is mounted very solidly in the door metal.

Infact, using this method you probably dont even need to use the speaker cover, you could just leave the factory trim completely intact - great for anti theft, but not so great if you want to show off your awesome new speakers :)

I had to use the speaker covers though due to the previous car owner already hacking the door trims up abit.

theclick

Post by theclick » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:08 pm

AndrewT wrote:
I had to use the speaker covers though due to the previous car owner already hacking the door trims up abit.
This is the very reason why i needed to mount it on the trim, which is unfortunate because i would have liked to have mounted it onto the metal.

Didnt it stop your window from completely going down?
As for anti-theft, that is predominantly what I am worried about. My car looks pretty ratty and taxable as it is, I didnt really want speakers that scream out "Im a 17 year old boy who listens to c west" speaker covers visible to passers by. Ahh well, what is done is done. I could later on make some sort of pod that acts as a box AND covers the speaker, that would be nice. But first i have to work on getting some 14's for this devil

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:30 am

i tried mounting mine to the metal but the actual speaker wasnt slimlined enough to fit properly. but yeh my 6" ers fit straight into the trim and dont overhang at all.

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”