not ipod...

Get wild & funky with your Mobile disco ...
sven '2'
General Member

not ipod...

Post by sven '2' » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:45 pm

Do not want start a whole apple vs other formats arguement, but has anyone overcome this?

Want to run an ipod, but re-written with non-apple software (iTunes = blah)...thus need an input (AUX) as is not compatiable with the Alpine decks) would like to charge, as well have a high quality transmission (therefore FM modulators are out). Ideally, have a cable that charges/runs the ipod, with RCA inputs vs 3.5mm jack? The ipod would drive the deck and amps, unlike the Alpine solution (which i have tried and have fitted presently) which controls the ipod from the deck

Any thoughts? brands? Experiences?

thanks

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:24 pm

I have a kenwood unit that has a usb jack in which i can connect any mp3 player too.

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

daza

Post by daza » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Car PC?
Can set it up any way you want,
if you want to put that much work into it.
Daza.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:37 pm

i have an older alpine unit that i hook up to my ipod with a special adaptor cord. it charges and controls music through the ipod. there is a control box that come with it which with you can control music thru deck instead.

workin at supercheap i can tell you that in the next couple years as things go wireless bluetooth will be used more and more. theres all sorts of adaptors coming out for ipods and mp3s which will play through your car deck or speakers at home. i just attended a sony training night which pretty much told us all this and the new decks we are getting all have some sort of mp3 player connectivity. from double ender head phone jack in the lower priced/spec models to usb to bluetooth in the topend. dvd decks also shoud get a mention due to the fact that you can cram bucketloads of songs onto one disk to listen to.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:58 pm

Re: FM transmitter... (ignore post if ya like :))

I use the brand Elano fm transmitter for my Ipod, Its great because it simply runs off the ipods power so it can be used in the home on all the stereos. When the power of the ipod runs flat, you can simply plug a car charger or house charger into the bottom of the transmitter while its still connected... too nice!

An Elano Itrip from the Mac shop in Melb was $80 and the car charger was $40. Another thing with an fm transmitter is, just say you are in a carpark with mates and they park about ten meters near, you can hook all the cars up to the same channel, this means quite a few stereos pumping sync tunes!

Same works in home, I get our two stereos and little radio all synced around the house...

About having a clear channel, my sister said its really hard with one in melb as the channels are really close and there is quite a few channels used up, though in the Tas, this isn't an issue haha :D
Ive mine set on 93.0 and doesn't ever lose reception.

Hope ya get something out of this.

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:33 am

Have a look at rockbox it's a replacement firmware for many mp3 players. It plays pretty much every music format around has none of the drm crud and is as easy as drag and drop for loading musics to and from the player.

The gigabeat is a good but lacks a line out so I need to set the volume on the player to around 85% for it to sound good, I use a headphone male to male cord between the gigabeat and headunit.

You could loose the headunit all together and just run the mp3 player straight to the amp, a unit I know that would be good is the iriver H3 there a bit old but have the most features ive seen, like the ability to record line in and fm radio from the built in tuner. It also supports rockbox

http://build.rockbox.org/

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:41 pm

You can also get linux to run on them as well.
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:33 am

thanks all - some good advice

the reason I am against the FM modulator is I am running high powered amps. As such, need the input to be as pure as can be.

Will keep all posted.

cheers

sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

brumbee

Post by brumbee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:03 pm

i am running my ipod directly into my stereo amp into my 6x9's works fine

cal213

Post by cal213 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:33 pm

pioneer deh-p4050ub hu in my ride.. runs off a usb port and charges but u cannot control the ipod directly, you have to use the headunit to choose through playlists and artists ect...

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:47 am

Some of us out here just run a "solid state" MP3 car stereo/radio. No CD player at all or any other moving parts apart from the buttons on the front. SD card slot and USB port that you can plug a USB stick or any card reader into, means you can keep all your music on your keyring, or use a lot of other MP3 players as storage for the car stereo.

I've never had a CD player in any car I've owned, but my wife has one in her horse truck and they are so much trouble. Even in my previous main car (1977 Pug wagon) that was in NASTY condition and the roughest most battle scarred pile of crud on the planet with most of its interior shredded and half of it missing, I had a spectrum analyser mounted with direct line-in for my MP3 players (have a few). I mean come on, it took some decent sound to cover up the rattles in that car...
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

tex

Post by tex » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:21 pm

that is another unbrakeable car a 504 wagon.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Return to “Sound / Entertainment Systems”