French in Oz, need mechanics teaching

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
yoann_co

French in Oz, need mechanics teaching

Post by yoann_co » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Hello my name is Yoann I am 22, and I'm a new owner of a subaru l series 89. I would like to make a trip around australia and do sometimes little offroad to access to beautiful places love

The pb is I'm a newbie in mechanics, but I'm strongly motivated to learn it. I'm looking for people who teach me sub l series mechanics, and I can work for free for you . I'm actually in Sydney, I can move with the sub no pb. Only serious offer please. Really motivated about this. smile

Other things the transmission's car have a pb, when I engage 4wd from 2wd (in straight line of course), then when I go to 2wd, it cannot engage if the car doesn't move a little bit. When the car is stopping it's impossible to engage, and the transmission seems to go to neutral position after. A garage manager tell me that sub transmissions are not very reliable. And it will be difficult to find other transmission, total will cost 2000dolls, included mounting. He says to me that he prefer toyota manufacturer for traveller like me, who needs cheap strong reliable car, like corolla 4WD :mrgreen:
What you think about it?
Comments are welcome!

Thanks!

Yoann

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:54 am

Salut,

Moi je sui en Australie depuis 3ans et j'adore ma subaru. Dommage que tu n'est pas a perth jaurai pu t'aider avec ta voiture et je connais aussi plein de gens bien sympa.

Personnelment les boite de vitesse ici coute dans les $200 a $300 et l'installation Entre $200-400.

La maindeuvre en australie es tres chere et $2000 c'est carrement du vol. Mais bon c'est environt ce que ca coute si tu va a n'importe quel garage.

Je sui sur qu'ill dois avoir des gens a sydney qui pourront t'aider.

Pour ta boite de vitesse tien en compte que c'est une assez vielle voiture. La mienne aussi reagit un peut de la sorte. Ce n'est pa un gros problem a moin ke jai mal compri. La selection entre 4x4 et 2WD ce fait que quand la voiture es arreter (je pense d'apres ce que ta di que tu le fait quand la voiture roule). Dnc arrete toi a chaque fois ke tu change de mode. Aussi il arrive que ca ce bloque en 4x4, et la solution es de reculler lentement en actionant la mannet vers 2WD. Il es perferrable de utliser les mod 4x4 que si tu te trouve dans un chemin de terre ou de sable et pas sur du bitume, pareil pour sortir de 4x4 en 2WD

Pour l'instant je sui en vacances a ile Maurice et je rentre a Perth vers le debut de Fevrier. Excuse les faute de francais:P

Mon link en de sou de mes modification sur ma L series:)

Hope it helps, now the rest of you guys can reply in ENGLISH:p

Bon courage
Guy-Philippe
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:28 am

guyph_01 wrote:now the rest of you guys can reply in ENGLISH:p
Nope.. now YOU can convert to ENGLISH ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:34 am

basically i told him that i'm in perth and that it would cost a lot less than $2000, dam you could buy 3 cars with that kind on money if you look good enough, and that i'd be glad to help him if he was here and i knew great subaru freaks, like you Paul:)

I also told him to select from 2WD to 4WD only when the car is stopped and its best to only engage and disengage on sand or soil not on tramac.

:rolleyes:
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:55 am

haha.. no probs Guy. I just wanted to see if you'd retype it all in english :mrgreen:

Yes I'm sure he'd find some good people to help in Sydney.

Yoann.. it's also good to go on some small trips with the local guys in your area and chat with them and get some good advice/ideas. Plus don't forget you can always search on here and find something.. most things have been asked and answered :) but don't be shy to ask.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:10 am

LOL I should have logged on here first, I was on OFFROADSUBARU and told him to contact Guyph here.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 am

guyph_01 wrote:Salut,

Moi je sui en Australie depuis 3ans et j'adore ma subaru. Dommage que tu n'est pas a perth jaurai pu t'aider avec ta voiture et je connais aussi plein de gens bien sympa.

Personnelment les boite de vitesse ici coute dans les $200 a $300 et l'installation Entre $200-400.

La maindeuvre en australie es tres chere et $2000 c'est carrement du vol. Mais bon c'est environt ce que ca coute si tu va a n'importe quel garage.

Je sui sur qu'ill dois avoir des gens a sydney qui pourront t'aider.

Pour ta boite de vitesse tien en compte que c'est une assez vielle voiture. La mienne aussi reagit un peut de la sorte. Ce n'est pa un gros problem a moin ke jai mal compri. La selection entre 4x4 et 2WD ce fait que quand la voiture es arreter (je pense d'apres ce que ta di que tu le fait quand la voiture roule). Dnc arrete toi a chaque fois ke tu change de mode. Aussi il arrive que ca ce bloque en 4x4, et la solution es de reculler lentement en actionant la mannet vers 2WD. Il es perferrable de utliser les mod 4x4 que si tu te trouve dans un chemin de terre ou de sable et pas sur du bitume, pareil pour sortir de 4x4 en 2WD

Pour l'instant je sui en vacances a ile Maurice et je rentre a Perth vers le debut de Fevrier. Excuse les faute de francais:P

Mon link en de sou de mes modification sur ma L series:)

Hope it helps, now the rest of you guys can reply in ENGLISH:p

Bon courage
Guy-Philippe
a microsoft word translation

Hello

Me I sui in Australia since years and I love my subaru. Damage that you are not a perth sorry could help you with your car, and I also know lots of nice people.

Personnelment them gearbox here listening in the $200 is $300 and installation between $200-400.

Maindeuvre Australia very chere and $2000 is direct flight. But good is l(w) what cost if you have any garage.

I sui on ill do people have a sydney who can help you.

For your box tien speed into account that this is a fairly old car. Mine also then one be so. Pa is a big problem was staying ke jai evil incapacity. 4WD with 2WD selection this fact when the car es stop (I think according to what your di you made when the car rolls). Dnc adopt you each time a ke you change mode. Also happens that ca it blocks in 4x4s, and solution of reculler slowly in actionant the mannet to 2WD. It is use perferrable mod 4 x 4 If you find you in dirt or sand and not on bitumen, such out of 4x4s in 2WD

For the moment I sui vacation has Mauritius and I returned a Perth towards the beginning of February. Excuse the French fouls: P

My link to of my editing on my series L sou

it doesn't seem to think some words are French and if the gearbox gets stuck in 4WD reverse is your best friend put the gearbox in reverse and drive backwards slowly then push on the lever while driving this will unbind the internals and release the gears

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Haha, I had a good laugh reading this. Its maybe 40% accurate. Lol. Made my day:p

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Im glad microsoft could make your day Guy :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 pm

guyph_01 wrote:I also told him to select from 2WD to 4WD only when the car is stopped
Why is this? I've found it easier to disengage on the fly, it helps remove the bind with some steering wheel action.

And I think the gearbox issue that the mechanic talks about is just 4wd bind.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:43 pm

I agree with El Freddo. From personal experience, would check that all tyres are the same profile, i.e. 175/70 as 1 or 2 tyres bigger than others might cause this symptom.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:13 pm

Well on my car and from my experience, everytime i move from 4WD to 2WD or 2WD to 4WD, hi to low, low to hi, when driving, My car suddenly has no drive, i accelerate and it revs like on neutral even if the 1st,2nd or 3rd gear is in. I'm guessing this is what's happening on his car.

However if i do it really slow, forward or in reverse around 2 and 3/4 km/h :p it will disingage a lot easier, (works better in reverse).

So i told him only to move to 4WD and between hi and low when stopped and reverse slowly while disingaging.
:)

Hummm, what happend to Yoann??

Return to “New Members & Introductions”