Weber Carbies and Headers

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
Ned

Weber Carbies and Headers

Post by Ned » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Need some help i have at last obtained a 1992 Brumby whitch is great condition except for 2 items 1st the carbies not to good is it worth bolting on the webber i see avertised on ebay and i noticed they talk about two types??, the other i am haveing a real problem with is the headers and exahaust system any information on where i can obtain a complete system would be great, i have searched but to no avail , i live in the Pilbara so nothing here to help , so i am relying on you to help me out , Regards Ned

Tozzy

Carby and Headers

Post by Tozzy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:02 pm

I was going to get a weber on my Brumby but decided to try getting the old carby refurbished.

Really top job for about $250.00. "Carburetor and Electrical" in Fremantle. Been there for years. Post it down and pay by card and they'll post it back. It came back like a new one. I also got the Dizzy refurbished at the same place and same time with a new coil as well, Bosch GT40. I think all up was around $400. Ute runs really well.

As far as headers and that go, can't help. Although I do have a 2.25" exhaust fitted from the CAT back.

GOD

Post by GOD » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 am

Ned wrote:Need some help i have at last obtained a 1992 Brumby whitch is great condition except for 2 items 1st the carbies not to good is it worth bolting on the webber i see avertised on ebay and i noticed they talk about two types??, the other i am haveing a real problem with is the headers and exahaust system any information on where i can obtain a complete system would be great, i have searched but to no avail , i live in the Pilbara so nothing here to help , so i am relying on you to help me out , Regards Ned
If you're anywhere near Karratha, give Bob Jane a call about the exhaust. I've often seen a done up Brumby parked there, and I know they do a bit of exhaust work, so maybe someone there will have ideas.

As for the carby - chuck it away and put an EFI engine in there ;)

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

Ned

Carbie & Headers

Post by Ned » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 pm

thanks for the info i know the boys a Bob Janes so i will drop in and have a chat with them , but like you said i think the headers will be a problem , i was wondering if some other models will fit with some changes, as for he carbie i would like to take the webber option if its worth while , as i know how they work and i can repair and tune out bush if i have any probs , but only if they are worth the price ,if not i will do as you sugested and send it down ,thanks again Regards Ned

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:21 am

Ned wrote:...bolting on the webber i see avertised on ebay and i noticed they talk about two types?? ...
The most common Weber Carburetors are in Two Main Configurations: One is "PROGRESSIVE" While the Other is "SYNCHRONOUS".

The Progressive (Most Usual is the 32/36 Weber, I Run my BumbleBeast with one of Those) Works with the Primary stage only and Opens the Secondary Stage just until the Half Throttle acceleration, so the Secondary Opens when the Primary has already reached the First Half.

This is Great Because you can have Fuel Economy Most the Time on Normal Driving Conditions, also you can urge the engine to give its maximum Power by the Order of your Foot, Just Pressing the Gas Pedal Full, when is Needed.

The Other Design is the Synchronous, (Usually the 38/38 DGAS) it Opens BOTH Stages at the Same Time, all the Time... so there are No Primary nor Secondary, Just Two Barrels.

It is Designed to be Run on Racing / Off Roading Vehicles, Not intended for everyday use. I Know someone who Ran his EA82 with a 38/38 DGAS Weber carb and he Noticed Three Things: More Noise, Faster Acceleration and the Worse Fuel Comsumption he ever imagined on a 4 Cyl. engine; also the engine's Sparkplugs and exhaust Smoke became Blackened...

So, the Progressive 32/36 is a Better Option.

Kind Regards.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:54 am

there are quite a few differences in the 32/36 range of carbies as well. this book goes into the differences.

As for the hitachi carbies, on subarus primarily - there are the small base carby and the big base carby, as well as about 10 variations in both base plate types. As you have a 1992 brumby you have the bigger carby base plate.

as for carbies for sale on ebay;

Australia $545 AU before shipping ( shipping 25 dollars)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WEBER-32-36- ... 336d8d52b5

America $319 US before shipping (shipping 54 dollars)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-1985-198 ... 4cfaa285e2

The Australian one has a manual choke which is actually a cheaper carby, (exactly the same carby but no electric choke) while the American one has the electric choke.

Both kits come from redline and to be truthful the American kit would be better value for money. Remember though shipping time is Longer from the US. as well rebuild kits from the US are a third of the price of the ones in Australia.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “New Members & Introductions”