G'day from Sydney

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
Pogman

Update

Post by Pogman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:36 am

Long time no see AuSubaru! Soooo update on my ute.

So first of all, gave up on the sound system upgrade. Just couldn't be stuffed in the end.
Had a re look at the exhaust. I have been mucking around with the exhaust for ages so in the end decided to run with a 2.5 inch zorst with cat and 2 hot dogs to 2.5 pipe end. It's very oversized for a brumby but it's what I had lying around and it sounds good.

Bought a steering wheel off ebay for 20bucks and chucked it on. Makes a difference. Must be 50kws extra at least. More comfy too.

Before

After

After reading the words of sage fisterbottom, I removed my Weber 32/36 and reinstalled the Hitachi but not before some work on the carby. Mostly this involved removal of the emission control parts and general clean ups of jets and passageways.
I also managed to rustle up from the shed an Hitachi carby from an old hilux model so went ahead and replaced whatever jets I could onto the stock carby.

Getting started (thanks for the manual willy)

I also linked the secondary throttle to the primary throttle directly, without the vacuum system. To allow the secondary throttle to close after you lift your foot off, I just drilled a small hole in one of the primary throttle assembly linkages and used a small spring.

I have heaps more pics of the carby dismantled and secondary throttle setup if anyone needs.

So Weber and Hitachi back to back? The weber under full power, high rpm, made good noises and was probably about the same speed but otherwise compared to the Hitachi (with the upgrades) that's where the benefits end. The Hitachi is now much faster in the normal RPM range and seems to pull loads much better. It also has an automatic choke system from the factory. I also believe (opinion) that the adapter for the Weber interrupts the airflow in a negative way. The Hitachi also burns less fuel.

Once I finished I put the stock air filter back on (because stealth...) It noticeably runs worse with the stock filter though after the upgrades so I modded the rear of the intake to allow better flow.

Managed to score some cheap King springs so put them on. Its not hard to do as the struts come out very easy on brumbys.

Here's a pic of the strut removed. It requires 6 bolts in total to remove plus the brake clip.

the new springs. mmmm yellow

That's it for now. It's in the shop getting an alignment at the moment.

Question: If you could put any stickers onto the brumby what would you put? I always liked the brat down the panel after the window on the yank versions. Wonder if there is any 'brumby' versions?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Good to hear the jet changes have made a positive change in your performance. This is something I want to do - just need to find a donor carb...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:50 am

Good stuff mate :-) Glad to see the manual being downloaded and put to good use, also very happy someone else has done the re jet and agrees that it is better than a Weber :-)
Would be good to see how you locked the linkages, so please post some pics.
I got myself a 81 Gen-1 Brumby with factory EA81 on the weekend so will be putting the re jetted carby in her.

Pogman

Post by Pogman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:38 pm

I saw that brumby for sale, looked awesome. Would lurrrve a gen 1. Actually thinking about picking up a 90s one for sale at the moment with an ej conversion in mind.
I just really want a good body brumby, I have all the mechanicals and parts to fix almost anything but mine is a bit rough and ready body wise so just no point going too crazy on it. Need to find a good one, busted mechanical. Nice and cheap haha but all the good ones are 5k....

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:16 am

Did you write down what jets were in it and what you put in it? also the info details from the Toyota carby would be good :-)
Still waiting on those secondary pics.

Pogman

Post by Pogman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:57 pm

G'day again Subiefiles,

Long time no post so a quick update. Sorry for the delay Willy but here are a couple of fairly useless pics to show how I rigged the throttles.

And

I also got about putting some new seats in the old girl, though probably went a bit overboard...

They are comfy though. The only issue is they are juuust too wide on the shoulder sides so it brushes against the door and can squeak when I'm blowing starlets *cough off the line and get pushed back into the seat. Not much I could think of that would fix that so I just let squeak occasionally (they're not a quiet car anyway as you all know).

I also re-painted the rims. I went with white again but with a blue edge around the circumference and blue wheel nuts.

I like the outcome but it also needed more colour so added a thin blue strip down the door line. It's hard to see in that photo above

Doesn't do too much in photos but it makes a difference in the metal.

And that's it. After all the work I decided to sell her, so brumby is off to a new home and to hopefully continue it's restoration. Thanks to those who helped with advice along the way. Enjoy your Brumbys!!!

I miss mine already.

Return to “New Members & Introductions”