Long time lurker saying hello

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
Talasas

Long time lurker saying hello

Post by Talasas » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Greetings everyone, I'm a long time member here but have only really dropped in from time to time. I thought it was about time I said hello and shared a bit my my love for Subaru cars.

So a little about me, I've been an avid car enthusiast for over a decade now and began with playing around with 80's era Corollas in my teens. Since then I've owned many cars, mostly Japanese and despite having a soft spot for Toyota I've actually owned more Subarus. My partner ended up naming me the "accidental Subaru fan" since I always seemed to have a Subaru around in one form or another. I think growing up with my dad tinkering with Subarus and seeing their mix of utility and economy they just always fit in with my lifestyle.

While I'm not partial to any make or period, I love all cars of makes and periods, lately I've developed a real appreciation for cars from the 80's. So much so that I started a little personal blog on Facebook dedicated to the tinkering I do on my cars, feel free to check it out - I'm not fishing for likes, it's for anyone who might shares similar interests in 80's cars and somewhere for me to dump my pics and log my work: Maximum Spirit Garage

So what brings me here? What do I tinker with these days?

I've currently got an L-Series that I've had for about 7 years, it's the utilitarian car and does the hauling and towing and loose surface stuff:

On daily duties until recently, I have this GC8 WRX. It's loads of fun, though this isn't covered by my blog as it's not an 80's car:

I also have a Sherpa I picked up a little while back. Also tons of fun for completely different reasons:

and lastly, my most recent Subaru which hasn't made it to my blog yet as I haven't had time to wrench on it:

I'm sure there's plenty of keen eyed people here :)

I'll be sure to post more info on each of these in the build section in the near future. My main interests with all my cars is just restoration and keeping them original for the most part.

sublime

Post by sublime » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:25 pm

Welcome to the forum, nice bunch of eclectic Subarus you have!
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

poprock1

Post by poprock1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Talasas wrote:Greetings everyone, I'm a long time member here but have only really dropped in from time to time. I thought it was about time I said hello and shared a bit my my love for Subaru cars.

So a little about me, I've been an avid car enthusiast for over a decade now and began with playing around with 80's era Corollas in my teens. Since then I've owned many cars, mostly Japanese and despite having a soft spot for Toyota I've actually owned more Subarus. My partner ended up naming me the "accidental Subaru fan" since I always seemed to have a Subaru around in one form or another. I think growing up with my dad tinkering with Subarus and seeing their mix of utility and economy they just always fit in with my lifestyle.

While I'm not partial to any make or period, I love all cars of makes and periods, lately I've developed a real appreciation for cars from the 80's. So much so that I started a little personal blog on Facebook dedicated to the tinkering I do on my cars, feel free to check it out - I'm not fishing for likes, it's for anyone who might shares similar interests in 80's cars and somewhere for me to dump my pics and log my work: Maximum Spirit Garage

So what brings me here? What do I tinker with these days?

I've currently got an L-Series that I've had for about 7 years, it's the utilitarian car and does the hauling and towing and loose surface stuff:

On daily duties until recently, I have this GC8 WRX. It's loads of fun, though this isn't covered by my blog as it's not an 80's car:

I also have a Sherpa I picked up a little while back. Also tons of fun for completely different reasons:

and lastly, my most recent Subaru which hasn't made it to my blog yet as I haven't had time to wrench on it:

I'm sure there's plenty of keen eyed people here :)

I'll be sure to post more info on each of these in the build section in the near future. My main interests with all my cars is just restoration and keeping them original for the most part.
Hi, I also have a Sherpa, not in as good condotion as yours. Its an 84 KM3 2 cylinder. Intended to convert to electric, but now realise it is too rare to do that. Interesting that the new Tata Nano appears to be very similar to this and the earlier 360 RWD.

poprock1

Mystery question.

Post by poprock1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:51 pm

I realise that the Subaru version of the Toyota 86 is rear wheel drive and that is probably the answer to a secret question for lost passwords, but that is not the only rear wheel drive as stated. The early Sherpa's , or Rex in some markets, were rear engined rear wheel drive. The new Tata Nano is a dead ringer for it. Sorry for being pedantic but it could have cost me a win on Million Dollar Minute.:rolleyes:
Attachments
220px-Rex-v_002[1].jpg
220px-Rex-v_002[1].jpg (13.15 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Would that Touring wagon you now have be the EA82T that Steve from Rising Sun was selling ?;)

Talasas

Post by Talasas » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 pm

FujiFan wrote:Would that Touring wagon you now have be the EA82T that Steve from Rising Sun was selling ?;)
It is indeed, JDM Leone GT Turbo Touring Wagon. Will make a start on it soon once I finish up on a couple of other non-Subaru cars I'm working on. At the moment it has a horribly high cold idle problem I need to track down.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Talasas wrote:It is indeed, JDM Leone GT Turbo Touring Wagon. Will make a start on it soon once I finish up on a couple of other non-Subaru cars I'm working on. At the moment it has a horribly high cold idle problem I need to track down.

Man I'm glad someone bought it! I Was watching it both times it was listed, at the price it was listed it was an absolute bargain. If we had space for even one more car in our drive way I would have bought it :( I started to get worried the second time it didn't sell, thought he might wreck it! Looking forward to see what happens to that car ;)

Quite an assortment of subies you have there, welcome aboard! :p
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “New Members & Introductions”