G'day from a new Brumby tragic!

"Read before registering / posting - New Members"
Lucas

G'day from a new Brumby tragic!

Post by Lucas » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:39 pm

Hey all, I'm Lucas, i decided i needed a cheap but different car to put the tinny in the water and go to the tip...

So i brough a 1991 Targa Brumby with a head gasket issue.. i promised my wife id just do that and a little bit of welding (no surprise the door hinge area) and we'd just smoke around in it

Turns out it wasn't a head gasket at all and was in fact a welch plug, Dave at Subarino has been awesome with advice and parts

Try as i might i could not get the plug out with the engine in so took the whole thing out

I have ended up doing
Engine out, welch plugs and head gaskets replaced (including 2x inlet manifold studs snapping flat with the head) and heads skimmed
Rear main seal replaced and new gasket kit fitted
Drilling and tapping a barb into the top of the engine where a small water pipe had rusted out
Change of inlet manifold because the old water pipes had rusted out/been sealed up
Welding to the sill, lower door hinge area on the passenger door and the car, 2 x holes next to the T top and both rear removable panels below the tailgate
Dash swapped out for an uncracked one
Replaced ignition switch and door locks
Floor covering swapped for better
Seat repair
Windscreen seal
fixed up tailgate latches

The engine is back in now and will start and run (nicely) briefly before cutting out, i know i don't have all those bloody vacuum hoses right but for the life of me i cannot figure out the complex system and how to get it all back together. i known there are diagrams on the web and in the manual i got but the seem to relate to the US?

Is there a decent Aussie diagram anywhere?

Suby Spanner

Re: G'day from a new Brumby tragic!

Post by Suby Spanner » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:22 pm

Sorry can't help on the diagrams. Yes, the last of the carby cars suck when it comes to vacuum/emission hoses.

You've done some great work since having it. Makes me feel lazy :(

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:21 pm

Yeah mate that’s and epic amount of work! Kudos on fix that rust. I’m too busy driving mine atm to fix those issues. I’m hoping mine is held at bay until I can get to it.

The carb issue is best resolved with and EJ conversion :twisted:

My understanding of the carb and emissions is that you need to be a master in wizardry, even then they either work or they don’t…

Drop a pic of your targa when you get a chance!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:58 am

Turns out I'm better with cars than this stuff.... I cannot figure out how to add a picture. You'd think you just clicked the "insert image" button....

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:49 pm

You need to host the picture on somewhere like https://imgur.com/ first, then copy and paste the link into the reply.
Simples! :lol: :lol:

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:15 am

She runs!!

Was the old fuel pump relay issue.....

I drove it yesterday, need to time it properly but sounded OK... Home straight now!!

Return to “New Members & Introductions”