The Red Barron.

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Morrie

The Red Barron.

Post by Morrie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi I bought my brumby about a year and a half ago.

Bought it with damage so thats where i started the rebuild, just worked out how to do the photo's on here so i'll post them in a time line as the build has been going..

As i bought it, nice big dint in rear quarter, rear supension was bent including rear crossmember.. but ute was only $700 and only rust is a tiny stop under rear window rubber, maybe size of 20c.. so good, starting point with full life left in the body..

I bought a rear quarter from the wreckers as well as the rear control arm and a crossmember, a few other things had to be changed for rego like a CV and some gearbox mounts.

I do all the work myself and this is my first attempt at replacing a section of a car, i worked out almost perfect.

these photo are after i did a 6 stud conversion and found some 16 inch rims off a Navara, the 6 stud conversion was mainly to get a bigger range of rims to use.

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 pm

The next step was the interior, thought i would run sony stereo system in this car, i have been a fan of Kenwood for year so i though i would try something new.

Went for the Sony explode stuff, it's pretty good price and sounds pretty good, i got hold of 2 x 4inch 250 watt, 2x 6inch 300 watt, 2x 6x9inch 350 watt and a 1000 watt 12 inch sub, also running an amp for the sub and head unit with Ipod input.

Built a vented sub box with seperate box's for the 6x9's, the box fits behind the seats and i don't lose any seat adjustment..

I installed the pods in the front doors for the 6 inch speakers.

Everything is trimmed in grey carpet to match the floor and dash..

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 pm

I thought i would do a bit of airbrushing on the interior, i have an airbrushing business so i tend to paint everything i can get my hands on.

the ute was already red on the outside so i though the Red Barron is a pretty cool name for it and decided on an Iron cross on the glove box and rivits like the old pkanes with a few bullet holes like its been in battle.. this theme is going to eventually be on the outside to.. but only on the bonnet and tailgate as the sides will prob get damaged eventually rubbing on trees etc. in the bush.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Awesome work Morrie! Love the air brushing and well done on the panel work too!

You've got to be proud of that! Keep up the good work ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

stilson

Post by stilson » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:57 pm

Awesome, can't wait to see the outside done!

Watch out for Snoopy.
MY08 SG9 XS LUX

********* performance sump and diff guards.

revmax

Post by revmax » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:45 am

Far out !!
Bet you are chuffed with your Brum. Love it !
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 pm

It's been a while since i updated what ive been upto with my brumby so here you go.

Pulled out the EA81 and 4 speed and dropped in a EA82 and an RX Turbo 5 speed, some people were saying why bother etc, just put ina bla bla, all you need to do is widen this custom make that etc etc. i like the bolt straight in option and i goes way better, i travel up north heaps in summer and it will now sit on 120km/h easy as..

But it was a tight fit but super easy..

i had to modify the 4wd shifter and make a gearbox cross member but that wasn't too much hassle.

to get the RX box to fit i had to use a hammer to stop it bumping under the floor and got some custom Inner CV's made up (cost same as standard ones) so everything is sweet and new and did a new clutch while i was bolting it all together.

I also found a nudge bar of something i'm not sure what but the width was spot on to bolt up, did a few mods to get it to sit right but nothing to wild, removed the from bumper stops to get it closer to the car, also bought a cover for the tray to keep my gear dry and a bit cleaner.

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:11 pm

My latest bit of work was to get the tailgate looking better, so i removed the dints and the badge holes and gave it a carbon vinyl wrap also did the handle, looks pretty sweet, might do some other small bit of the ute in it..

hope you like my Ute so far.. :)

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Here are some adventure photo's of summer. I forgot i have also made some custom racks for my boards to go on top, the front one bolts to the rollbar and the rear is kinda like the factory option ones you could get, just drops in and pulls out super fast.

Post by 60766244 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Looks great. Stoked to see some more pics Fb didn't get. I like the removable surfboard rack!

Just needs those double headlights. ;)

- Jay-Jay
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Stretchomatic

Post by Stretchomatic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 pm

That looks badarse! I'd love to get my hands on a tonneau cover and a rollbar!

The vinyl wrap looks seamless. Better match the bonnet up now haha. How do get the tarp hooks off and back on again? One of mine broke so i wouldnt mind replacing it.

Cheers, Stretch.

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey great job on all ya work. I like that shot with the boards on top. Looks very purposeful, like its doing what it's built to do.

Cheers Jake

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks guys, it's perfect for doing surfing and windsurfing trips, it goes pretty much anywhere there's surf, it's cheap to run, cumfy to do 12 hour drives in and fits a lot of gear in it and on it..

With the tarp hooks, you just drill the pop rivit head off and tap the rest of the rivit back into to hole in the panel, i got new hook kit from super cheaps for $15. but only has 6 hooks.

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:12 pm

You've got way too much spare time on you hands. Looks good Jas, even the wheels look like a tight fit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:44 am

Great pics and update.

Especially in that you went ahead and did it, asked no silly questions in here - must have used the search function :)

Now you have made your custom gearbox crossmember can tell you if need another or yours gives problems - totally the Brumby one works when you pinch the side mount brackets and elongate the holes to suit the 5 speed, and there is a threaded boss that hits the tunnel - that is all it does - can be cut off for better clearance and use L series console and all the 5 speeds levers fit once a few small floor cuts made and use the rubber mount to floor.
I think the 'must widen/cut chassis rails' comes from guys with non standard suspension - your pics help mine dispel the won't fit myth.

I like you kept coil in same place - was it just the longest coil lead you could buy or make your own?

Washer bottle need moving or does it clear dizzy nice as it was ?

You would have increased engine mount slots in crossmember but forgot to mention ?

Radiator ? Need to look at pics again - did you retain Brumby radiator or stuff around with the opposite pin set up of an L radiator sorta raises questions on rad hoses used too ?

Looks good in red :D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 am

oh, and where did you get your tailgate carbon fibre ?

ta :)

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:21 am

steptoe wrote:oh, and where did you get your tailgate carbon fibre ?

ta :)
SECOND

I was looking at doing it to my interior. Door panels have lost almost all covering :(

Watching this thread in amazement! Looks badass.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:55 am

Carbon? ebay, bit tricky to use but cheap enough to buy some spare.

Ok, engine, water bottle? i heated the bottom and reshaped it to clear the dizzy, and the coil lead is a plug lead with a new end to fit the coil, just the boot.

Radiator is the original, i got 2 pieces of thick wire, bent it to the shape i needed, went down to mals auto and went through every box of hoses to find the perfect shape hoses and just cut them to fit.

Yer i forgot about the gearbox mounts, original brumby ones and i extended the metal mount and redrilled the holes, only did this to lower the rear of the box to try to get more clearance from that anoying extra bit on the gearbox, i did cut it off but still touched on full acceleration, i forgot about the hammer technique and didn't what to pull the box back out, but i had a plan, i got some thick rubber and screwed it to the floor where it touched and it now acts like a bumper stop. If i ever have to pull the box out i think i'll just get the hammer in there..

All the gear levers were pretty much bolt in, i did have use front half of the 5 speed and rear half of the 4 speed 4x4 levers to keep the original set up in the car, all the original centre consoul fitted perfect, 4x4 light don't work anymore but as usual i had a plan and i'll get some photo's of my new 4x4 light to show my idea, it's awesome..

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks Morrie. I used some spacer flat 6mm? between the body and frame near whre gbox xmem is to get some more clearance. I read to remove the threaded boss, did not understand at the time of fitment - job was a marathon ending at 4am one Sunday - ended up cutting off what i could from under later - hard job :(

Love your work on remoulding the pisser bottle then :D

Don't suppose tyou kept a note of the CH number of the hose ?

I reckon it is tradition long before forums to keep some of the little thinking detail to self after someone been inspired to do things like ' "just fit a Rexy motor "

Bit of tradies trying to keep the trade skills to themselves for they did train as slave apprentices on poop wages blah, blah love the info share in here - been going on for years now !
As for the hi lo wires I have some notes somewhere in here..most get a bit of the plug and loom body side of the gearbox plug you may have hanging about - all hooks up nice works as before with 4 speed. There is a wire at base of lever for 4WD - you must have found it, it triggers 4WD light in 4sp just need to include it in wiring up

Morrie

Post by Morrie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Here's my 4x4 indicator light..

2 wheel drive...

4 wheel drive..

it's like he gets angry when the track gets rough..lol.. and his eyes are bright red LED's, look different in the pic.

Low or high, i just do that by feel..

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”