1986 Subaru Leone RX TURBO STi

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
nico leone

Post by nico leone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:55 pm

so this is a rear 1986 Subaru control arm, when adding wide wheels with low offsets like Subaru loves it can rub on the rear arm on this old car.

here you can see how much room i have to play if I put on a 17x7.5JJ ET53 stock subaru wheels that can fit Brembo brakes, also the front is not like this its normal Subaru style up front on this car so any wheel is ok

so what have I come up with ! simple easy is flip the arm around to the other side ! looks like the little Leone can put the rubber down to the ground now, 225/45/17 and i could use STi Brembo brakes now for the extra stopping power.

Hey !!!!! why stop there ???? Lol... lets pull out a STi 22B BBS wheel and see if we can add the monster wheels on the Leone so 235/40/17 17x8.5JJ ET48 even fits !! guess its time to show some people how its done on the track this year !

now i am really excited to pull the car out and see if this all works out perfect.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:55 pm

well spring is near they say, but lets get real its still going to snow like today lol, so in the mail today some new toys have come in.

5x100 16x7 et46 Volk GramLights 57s.... good for maybe 225/50/16 I hope I can make it fit with out rubbing.

ST132594S000 JDM STi Magnesium valve covers.

"The STI Magnesium Valve Rocker Cover Set Impreza GD GG is a high spec part available from this exclusive company and come ready for the street/circuit/windy scene/drift. Not only significantly lightening the engine, the visual effect of having this in your engine room will surly scare any competitor who sneaks a peak under your bonnet." LOL

and the part that makes the scaring of the competitor really happen !

Borg Warner AirWerks S300SX FMW 0.91 A/R (maximum spool) dividided twin scroll.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:56 pm

pretty crazy how the STi magnesium valve covers are so dark inside

also need add a air port fitting for the s300sx it was same for my s200sx, ill add it where that top bump with numbers are on top left corner.

Turbo Seal Clamps

Constant Tension Turbo Seal Clamps - With a convoluted heat-treated band that provides spring-like tensioning effects for thermal cycling hose applications.

Murray’s unique “DUAL BEAD SHIELD” concentrates band-sealing pressure, increasing performance up to 30% compared to standard smooth liners. Flanged edges protect soft hose compounds from abrasion and wear.

when you need the best like the real real races cars !! then these are the best !

http://www.murraycorp.com/constant-tension-clamps.html

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:57 pm

well today was a perfect day to pull it out and start the work on the car, lots of rain wash the salt away so why not bring the car home.

my new black wheels that are so black i cant get a good pic of them lol

GC8 VOLK Rays STi 5x100 16x7 ET 53 with the proper stickers for how ever long they last lol.

also i was going to use these on my Legacy EG33 build, but ill use them here first. Whitline KSB751 will reduce rear-end float particularly under acceleration... why not fits like a glove lol

made for the new style subaru 1989 to 2007, subaru sure does love re using something that works well over many years.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:57 pm

well the new BW s300sx FMW fits and is in, along with the JDM STi magnesium valve covers.

also had to take the timing belt off and pulleys so I could get to the oil feed line for the AVCS and get the screens out !.. pain in the butt but i had to get it done.

good thing I have room still for the 4" cone aem filter and set up for this turbo.

I had also changed the vacuum lines for the dual wastegates to hi temp silicone to handle the heat stress in that area.

just need to wait for the turbo pipe I ordered so I can complete it all.

and the new brakes set up with stainless steel pistons better for heat transfer on the fluid

Ver 2 turbo pipes all made simple and silicone, with the fancy clamps. soon its time to tune this craziness.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:58 pm

so since I am waiting for Franz to come visit and do the magic on the tune for the s300sx, I add some Hella 550 amber retro lights.

and the 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV, 86 Subaru VS 86 Alfa lol

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:59 pm

well this thread will never die, its a long long build now, ill let the pictures do the talking ! and let the new build be built ASAP summer is near !

the old:

EJ22T Block: still ok

Wiseco pistons: fantastic ready for the spare block coming right after the new one ASAP

ACL Bearings: perfect and save a EJ22T block ! cant say that for the crank lol

Manley Rods: Never again will cheap parts ever touch my hands or come in to my shop !

11MM Subaru Oil Pump: First and last time EVER !!!! 10MM #1 OLD SCHOOL FTW !

ej20g spec RA R crank: dead for good now

rod bearing 4 said hell no !

The New: ASAP ! waiting for parts or else I would be done in a day build !.

Wiseco pistons: K601M975 new ones on the way

Carrillo Pro-H beam rods: SB-2LTR>-65137S

ACL Race bearings: 4B8296HX +5M8297HX STD size both mains and rods

10MM Oil Pump

and used EJ22T

thank the lord my JDM Spec-C heads are still perfect !

and my VW Jetta Recaro seats done ! need to order seat base and rails.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 am

its time to go to War !!! so I am taking all 7 of my EJ22T blocks to get cleaned then put on the self and built one after another !... no more messing around !

this was the Original motor out the Leone ! what I am doing is getting a used crank which I have tons of them.. ill rebuilding this sucker with every single thing reused ! but the 11MM oil pump. stock head studs, new ACL bearings & anything & everything cleaned and Re- used ! I am also using a 400,000kms used 10MM oil pump that I know works on it !!!

I don't care at all if it blows up ! why ??? I all ready have another EJ22T block sitting at the machine shop waiting to get its brand spanking new pistons fitted !

The was broken motor !

The used parts all going back in again ! i dont care

EJ22T #3 getting ready to strip down ! bottom left.

also Just picked up this 40,000km JDM V9 STi EJ207 motor for a extra set of JDM big Flow heads !...... ill have two motors on hand now ready to swap in hrs !

Any one looking for a mint running Short block let me know !

The JDM tear Down !

JDM POWER ! 10MM PUMP on the newish V9 STi EJ207 !! every jdm motor below 2007 uses 10MM oil pump !!

Sold the Black GC8 STi Volk Rays TE37 rims ! going with 15' rims.. why tires tires tires, 205/50/15 has EVERYTHING !

IRS Motorsport Made in JAPAN ! Motorsport IRS HOME ...... Thank you Nakahara

wheels ill order once I'm done RC-G4 in Gold.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 am

these are the brand spanking new spare parts for the EJ22T #2 motor which is at the machine shop awaiting the Wiseco pistons, Carrillo Rods, ACL race bearings....

put my A/C back in for those hot days at the track doing circles around people !!! LOL

I got nice big holes all ready made for me !!

time to cut this sucker up I had enough of this not cutting business !! see the black lines.

6"inch Thick x 7"inch Tall x 20"inch Long AiR 2 AiR intercooler is coming !!! no more messing around at the kiddy pool !!

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 am

inspiration for my front mount intercooler !

Bell Intercoolers drawings for my new Air To Air

all most there, everything reused from dead bearing #4.

cleaned up the front with Degreaser, time to plan out the new intercooler set up.

looks good with out the bumper lol

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 am

well its all back together, with A/C !! :)

i am super excited to have A/C back in the car, which means those hot summer days in the rain i can see out the fog windows, on the hwy i can roll up the windows so its nice and quiet in the car driving along.

one invented bracket later ( thanks to Vin@NVauto for welding me the brackets)

Alfa Romeo dual lock Sliders ( parts my dad likes to keep from the 1960's lol)

one down next one to go while i wait for the intercooler that is on its way for tomorrow.

Recaro VW Jetta gli seats (Franz idea put into action)

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:02 am

Some how some way this has to go in there lol.

Not even scared left hand side hole, also new style power steering resvior to acomadate the hole.

Battery mounted flat with right and side hole.

i was thinking mine was to big LOL

beam is sliced up and Reinforced ready to go !.. thank you Nam@NVauto for letting me use that fantastic plasma cutter you own !... short work beats the old hack saw way for sure, i need one for my place in the future.

the cooler sure is not small lol, overkill in size for sure but for the future well planned out

6" thick lol

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:03 am

so the broken spun rod bearing motor with the wiseco pistons and manley rods is alive !! motor #1 EJ22T she lives and is running ok !

but that was just to bleed coolant and do the flush and check everything over. OK SUBARU !

motor #2 (aka the spare), EJ22T with wiseco pistons (@ machine shop getting fitted), Carillo Rods, ACL race bearings.

thanks to Dov@NVauto for my pistons and rods !

i picked this time around the super light weight SA rods from carrillo ! on my turbo legacy i used the very expensive and rugged H beam version. ill try something different with the spare.

the seat base creation like the passenger i had to make. its all 304L SS so no rust after 50years !... tig weld and we are good to go !..

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04 am

well its been a while, i have been running the motor in a bit all is good ! even beat it up a bit with out a intercooler on she feels good.

what i have been doing to get it done so far is all this stuff.

Recaro seats are both in & i think best freaking seat out there hands down !.. my favourite mod for sure there that good.

so i got the intercooler mounted, she looks ok so far.

so instead of cutting the only mint condition bumper cover left on the plant rare to the Canadian models of the GL-10, I found some scrap yard in West coast Canada that had 2 skins with full Re-Bar set up.

just need to paint the lower section white like the original I have put away for safe keeping.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:05 am

also who would have new that the BRZ rad is the same size and thicker with the bigger ports !.. its needs a bit of work to put in but same size and 2 Row !

and to make sure I can view all my sensors a AIM MXL Strada

so far this is how i mounted the aim cluster but i think i will change it once my spare cluster comes in from the scrap yards. the flush mount should look much better if it fits.

also from japan ! L'aunsport http://www.launsport.com/ WRC hood vents from GR Subaru model. Eita is a great guy even sent me books on subarus and mesh.

these vents are like subaru america rally car ones with out the hole trim, they have the L shape thing and just cut out.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:05 am

decide to change the cluster set up cant have it the other way, so my scrap yard cluster came in and I made a template out of paper then on aluminium. just need turn lights, VDO fuel guage, high beams and its ready to be put in after paint job.

that's not the oem cluster out my car ! I have it put away.

test fit looks good

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:06 am

front bumper is painted and on, waiting from subaru for one more top rubber trim to finish it off.

intercooler pipes are going to be made next week ! very excited its all most done.

sits a little funny needs a readjusting better.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:07 am

I would like to thank Franz and his familia for all the hospitality while I was down in the USA !... I had a blast down there and all most didn't want to come home.

here we have Franz's amazing hand crafted one of a kind Leone intercooler piping that fits perfect and does a fantastic job keep the temps down and power up !

my new dash wired up by Franz, this time I can see and keep a eye on everything just in case something is not right.

Franz's Dyno Dynamics tuning tool.... that fan in the back with the red EVO rally bumper on it !!! that thing will suck you in and spit you out the other side if you get to close !..

all sensors hooked up ready to rock and roll the proper way !....

so much eye candy OVER LOAD !

Franz's babys sided by side.... the EVO is just crazy !... its like a full blown race car and has EVERYTHING ! no joke !.. me I like the 86 Golf because I'm from the old school lol.

looks amazing under this Golf's hood !

this car was on the dyno getting all dialed in by Franz... this Porsche has a full blown carbon fiber wide body kit twin turbos and is packing 500hp and 2000lbs.... its freaking fast

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:09 am

and some other car's he's working on around the shop...

this is what the dash looks like with night vision on

so this is my new power level with working oil pump and front mount intercooler set up and the big s300sx FMW turbo on. so 21psi is safe for me, franz could have pumped more boost out but i need to get home to canada again just in case.

old plot with new plot dyno dynamics both on american 93 gas ( Canadian 94 gas will gain a bit more) next will try race gas which will bring the power way up and over the top because I have lots of room to play with... as of now its just insane to keep it all under control while I am on it, so baby steps on my part while driving and my a/c blows nice and cold to keep me calm lol.

so things I need to do are:

maybe bigger rad (brz koyo)
oil cooler
lots of braces, one for the diff and a H brace up front with strut brace.

nico leone

Post by nico leone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:09 am

I went to the track to try my luck and see if it all holds together this past week, after doing one pass on the q-mile and getting kicked off for no helmet ! I managed to pull a 12.6 out.

I know I know my times suck out the box ! I dont want to snap my axles or leave my Diff on the floor ! so I took off bogging in first and not revving out 2nd or 3rd gear becuase the car likes to lay rubber in the rear tires.

I am on the left Porsche 977 twin turbo on right... high boost button used

so after getting kicked off i went lapping to see how well the car handles ! scary move lol.... my brakes are to small or weak so maybe better pads, and the car feels like it needs some wider tires and bracing to help keep it more stable.
Low Boost On was used for lapping its to scary with high lol

as of now its fun to play with till i fix things out

http://instagram.com/p/dlEgg1J4ps/?igref=ogexp

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”