Brumby body glue/sealant

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Brumby_ProjectX

Brumby body glue/sealant

Post by Brumby_ProjectX » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Ok so I'm about to undertake a new paint job and clean up of my brumby. As you have all probably seen before, there is a lot of sealant in the joins between and overflowing the panels. I want to remove the excess before painting to get a smooth finish but would like to know if any one has done this before... I intend on just removing the high spots and spray filling the joins and entire car before priming and finishing. has anyone ran into problems from doing this? the only issues I have come across so far is the glue is brittle but still clogs up the sanding pads. I have tried a few different things like chiseling off the high spots first but is still has the same issue and the grease/oil/glue remover is getting contaminated so if I spray its not sticking to the glue/sealant. I am under the impression the if I get to much heat into the panels from cleaning they will split apart at the seams as the glue melts. Any pointers before I grind it all back with a wire brush? I'm pretty sure some people have done this before and would appreciate the input. Atm this seems like my only option... Thanks :)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:54 pm

It isn't glue - its seam sealer - it stops water getting into the seam and rusting out the panel. The panels are spot welded along those joins - you can see the spots where there is a dimple. If you try to make it smooth it WILL leak and your car will rust from the inside.

Best to just paint straight over the top or remove all the seam sealer and redo it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brumby_ProjectX

Seam sealant

Post by Brumby_ProjectX » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:59 pm

What would be the best product to use to replace the original sealant? The old stuff is pretty brittle and is breaking away in places.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:08 pm

Brush on seam sealer - don't try and use anything else.
You won't find it at Bunnings -maybe repco or suprecheap but more likely need to go to an automotive paint supplier
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 pm

I found brush on seam sealer at supercrap, septone branded. I find it very hard to work with it's very very sticky and messy (get it on your fingers and nothing scrubs it off) and you'd need very small disposable brushes if you wanted a neat finish. It does a good job though and sets pretty hard but not rock solid.

Seam sealer in a cartridge might be better, applying an even bead with a silicone gun.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Brumby_ProjectX

Post by Brumby_ProjectX » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I would ask before I found myself backtracking and doubling the amount of work. I have to replace some that has pealed away in the tray, but at least I have a better plan to attack the body. Cheers.

sublime

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Try Sikaflex 221. Online seems to be the only place to buy but plenty of sellers in OZ. Just a Google search away.

Sandable, paintable and applied with a caulking gun. Different colours too, grey, black and white.
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”