Silverbullets' resto: Interior

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:18 pm

That's a top idea :) Hadn't heard of them before today, hopefully there is a small sized one that will fit in the stock spot. Also thinking seriously about a dual battery setup, but with the second batt in the back of the car. Can't find any solid information or examples of this though, all the dual battery setups on youtube etc have the second batt in the engine bay...would it be okay to have the battery in the boot with a long run of heavy cable for charging? and another for earth return, with the changeover relay in the engine bay. If it's the boot I'm thinking custom battery box sunk into the floor so I don't loose any storage space :cool: Haven't looked properly or measured anything yet though.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Battery Systems ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:34 pm

I'd get a standard Battery holder / box for in the front & get a second smaller 'backup' Auxiliary battery - one of them new type ( can't think of the name atm ) and put in spare wheel well ( assuming that's free space ) + keep the run of cable short, as it looses efficiency the longer you make the cables ... ;)

As far as I know there's a few examples to follow on here, you just need a 'management' box that keeps things happy & locate it as close as possible to alternator to reduce power loss ... :/

This sketch is similar to what I'm think of using : ( I'd also add a solar panel to keep it charged )

More info here : http://www.redarc.com.au/handy-hints/-/ ... tery_setup

Damn not cheap though - Gotta start gathering bits for my project now ... :(

Add : Super cheaper etc. do have 'Projector' kits :

Image ,Image

You probably only need the 100 type one for your application ... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:21 pm

a battery for a Chrysler Sebring has terminals on the front face so may be a good one for a spare wheel well mounting spot

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:33 pm

Sometimes wonder how you know these things Jonno :mrgreen:

The the thing I would use a second battery for most would be for running a fridge or camping accessories in the boot, so I was thinking of a deep cycle AGM (optima yellow top) 75AH I think is the smallest they do, and being sealed gel cell you can mount them sideways too. Boot was preferable because I haven't yet ruled out keeping a spare wheel in the engine bay...if that's even possible with 15" wheels, perhaps a space saver for everyday use and if I want a full sized spare for when I'm camping I would have a rear wheel carrier. Although sinking the aux battery into the floor maybe impossible; had a look at the spot I was thinking about today and there's a chassis rail directly below :( Space on the other side of fuel tank reserved for muffler...hmmm :???: Could have put it where the jack usually goes in the engine bay but not now its painted and I think some A/C components go there as well. It is still just a dream at this stage after all :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Batteries ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Sorry for 'hi jacking' your thread Silverbullet - as we've gone a bit of topic, but here is what I'm thinking of using :

More info here : http://lithiumpros.com/lithium-pros-int ... ag-racing/

The Li-ion battery has some advantage of being small & light weight - will fit just about anywhere with a couple of options :
  • In the side pocket
  • Under seat
  • On the floor
Down sides is cost & dubious reputation for spontaneous combustion ... :o

Add : Found a cheaper option :

More details : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-ANYP ... 81177.html

Dunno if that helps you or not ... :confused:

Cheers, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:11 pm

This is all on topic for me :) Funny you should mention lithium batteries, I was looking at that option myself as well. There's a few different lithium cell technologies, I think lithium-ferrous (LiFepo4) would be the safest for car use; higher charge rate, higher discharge rate, alot less prone to bursting into flames :o I was looking at something like this although it's only 60ah, you can use almost all of the 60 so it is equivalent to a 100ah lead acid/gel cell, smaller and about half the weight. Depends where you look for price though, can be as high as $1k or as low as $400. And with any lithium cell technology you need specific charging, balancing and monitoring equipment.

If you can get all the charging gear right I thinking lithium ferrous batteries are a really good idea as a second battery for running things like fridge, lighting etc. The one linked above has a "best charging current" of 50% of capacity so 30 amps, absolute max is less than 3x capacity, which means you don't have to run welding cable to it from the charging system of your car :) Or rather, run a cable to the battery charger.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Today I took the headlining out to do the wiring for all the lights up there plus the CB which will be up there, since I have nowhere to store the big, flimsy fragile headlining I took it straight to a trim shop to be re-trimmed. Will give me enough time to finish the wiring in the roof + sound deadening so when it comes back I can put it straight back in, no chance of it sitting around to have things fall on it :)

On the way home I stopped off at Jaycar for a few things, found some very useful things too, including a 12v intermittent timer, so now....

THE WIPERS WORK!!!! :D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPvQ_l ... e=youtu.be
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 pm

Since not been working I've pretty much spent nearly 8 hours a day working on the wagon instead :lol: So the complete re-wire which I thought was going to take months will only be weeks instead. Since last post I've got a basic loom down to the tail end now i.e tail lights, wiper+washer, fuel sensor plus a few other things AND a dedicated power feed down to the back for some accessory sockets.

The peg board came in handy again but this time I strung up the old tail end loom including the part that is inside the tailgate and the bit that goes under the back end to the LH tail lights, and just used the old loom to get the length and positioning right for the new wires. Then I took the new wiring down and laid it out in the car, fished the tailgate bit through all the bodywork (nightmare :eek:) and I have spent all today connecting up the rear loom section to the front end section by the drivers right knee. The factory loom had 2 big connectors here, but I don't think I'll bother and just have it all one piece. I'm thinking the only big connector I'll have will be for the engine bay section as I'll need to cut all these to fit the firewall grommet.

Also the drivers footwell needed some attention as the old sound deadening tar had turned to goo :( the last year I was driving the car the rear passenger door leaked and every rainy night there would be a puddle in the drivers footwell; parked on a slope. Getting all that crap off was a total nightmare, heating it up just turned it to treacle and gummed up every scraping tool I could find, wouldn't chip off since it was too gummy. Spent 2 days scraping away at it and finished it off with a wire wheel and just scrubbed everything back to bare metal and resprayed it. Thankfully all the other original tar was brittle enough to chip off.

So now I've got a nice clean base to put the new sound deadener on.
This is some of the new stuff on the roof, "Resomat" which is cheaper than "Dynamat" but what all BMWs and ADF vehicles use supposedly
Here's my under-dash wiring at the moment. Interior fuse box is 95% done and I've got most of the dash wires in there, plus everything for the brake lights etc.
The new rear loom even still fits in the original cable clips!

Next is to start connecting everything up in the tail end!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:06 pm

It's been a pretty epic day today :)

Heaps of goodies arrived in the mail which means I could finish wiring up the plugs for the tail end of the car. So now everything including the wiper and defogger (when the glass gets installed) is wired up and working! :) I used relays to drive the wiper and defogger as they're probably the most power hungry parts down the back. I recycled 2 old relays I cut out of the dash loom that came from NZ and have them mounted in the cavity where the old brake light checker unit usually is (I'm not running the checker unit anymore, so no more brake warning light either)

The tailgate loom and the tail lights loom are 2 separate pieces, which together plug into the main loom which runs to the front of the car. I used all new plugs as well. Ignore the relay dangling by its leads, that gets bolted up inside the rear quarter panel.

And time for a little test :D Had to take a video to check for myself if the lights were working. Funny thing, those LED flasher cans make zero noise! No clicking whatsoever so when I tested them the first time I thought I'd made a boo boo somewhere...check the video and all working perfectly! No reverse lights yet as the gearbox switches aren't wired up.

To top it all off, I've got 2 job interview/meetings lined up in 2 days :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVGem0_ ... e=youtu.be
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Checker ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:36 am

Great work so far ... :)
(I'm not running the checker unit anymore, so no more brake warning light either)
Might want to check whether you can do this with your rego guy though - as my understanding of all restoration works should be compliant with ADR rules at time of manufacture. Not withstanding - I think it had something to do with 'Driver Assistance' or something like that ... :confused:

Add : Tried looking it up but couldn't find what I'm after ... :(

Keep at it ... :)

Ciao, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:45 pm

Bantum, I know what you mean. According to those same rules the car should have a working charcoal canister for fuel tank and carbie fumes but the car never had one from factory :confused: Re the brake checker; I'm running all LED's so I should never need it, and if they pick it up on the roadworthy inspection I'll fix it then. Going to need a modern alternative to the old one though as LED's don't draw enough current for it to work properly, and I'm not keen on load resistors everywhere.

A little update about something other than the wiring: I've been tediously prepping the floor (cleaning all the old tar off :neutral:) and have put about 5 coats of paint over it and "kill rust" enamel in the boot, I don't want this to rust again! Next comes the sound deadener and after that, waterproof underlay and new carpet. I saw the head lining today and it looks absolutely fantastic :) Nearly(!) brought it home until I mentioned the center roof console...long story short the trim guy convinced me to get them to cover it, and had to leave the head lining there so they can get the grain of the fabric running all the same direction.

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Picked up the headliner today, looks fantastic :)

Complete with trunk light from an L series touring wagon
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:29 am

i now have an idea what to do with my scabby hood liner and am certain to break every clip on removal. have you got new clips from somewhere ?
member since 10january2014 #6191

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:46 am

I didn't buy new ones, I only broke one on removal. On the MY wagon at least there are 2 different sizes of clips, and they're all at the back end. The headliner is held up by the windscreen rubber at the front end, plus the visors and rear view mirror bolting through it. For replacement clips you could try somewhere like this although I haven't measured my old ones yet to check if any of these are the correct size. The Toyota hood lining clip looks the closest for the larger clips. Or you could try a few local places like Supercrap as I think they have some trim clips. Probably mostly for commodores though :???:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Wow SB, I love the look of the headliner!! It has a great modern texture look to it.
Keep up the great work and the editorials!!
John

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:09 pm

while you are in there Sam, maybe think about an AP60 cruise control ? Currently making up a bracket to hold outer cable under dash for a pull on top of accy pedal , playing with "discover what thread is that?" to do a rivnut insert. My thread sizer tap set is not playing ncely. Is M5 philips head screw which I suppose translates to the 8mm head bults and nuts about the place ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:36 pm

8mm head on a bolt usually means M5 bolt, or maybe M6? Hadn't thought about cruise control...I guess I could work it into the system somehow? But would need the control diaphragms cable attached to the accelerator cable somehow :???:

Well I just came in from a frustrating couple of hours :mad: One of the relays I wired in when I first started the wiring was making a loud buzzing sound when energized (key ON position) Some research told me that usually means it's a bad ground. It would buzz with the power probe clipped onto the bolt holding the ring terminal to the body, but not with the ring terminal floating in mid air with the probe clipped to it...re did the ring crimp (and solder this time) cleaned the bolt, cleaned paint off the bodywork...still buzzing. Pulled the signal and earth terminals out of the relay socket, plug directly to relay, no buzzing :confused:

Anyway, after re-doing many crimps, earths, suspecting riv-nuts causing a bad earth connection, un-plugging the fuel pump fixed the buzzing :confused: That relay was sending power to the pump, but the pump earth return wasn't earthed...or was it...? There was me thinking the 2 pin plugs on these things had one vertical pin for positive, horizontal for negative. Not on this fuel pump! Didn't help that I didn't know the pump bracket HAS to be isolated from the body. So I had a short circuit...

Note to self, put some rubber washers under that bloody fuel pump bracket :mad:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Was a good day today :) Got the center roof console back and fitted it out, installed and all working :) Been a long time coming, just looking back at when the subie boys in QLD first started making these things...I was still in school! I got this one second hand but un-used from another member on here over 3 years ago...same time as I bought the immaculate sports dash pad. Knew I'd get there some day! Still need to take it down again when I get an antenna + cable to plug into the radio and cover the speaker in some fabric. Plus blue L series map lights need to be re-colored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAx8849vVdU
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:52 pm

looks very smick, well done.:)

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:18 am

Sweet, like the roof console ... :)

What sort of fabric covering did you use there ?

Cheers, Batnum ...

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”