Australian "BRAT"

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:39 am

dfoyl wrote:Going from 16x7 to 16x8 is going to mean 215 or wider tyres, which will mean your rolling diameter is going to be taller than stock (throwing your speedo out). Unless you're planning on rubber band wheels - I worked out 8" rims would mean 40 profile tyres, and 215/40/16 aren't common (there are options out there, but companies like Bridgestone don't do anything in that size).

(16x7 means you can run 195/45, which is only 1.16% taller than stock).

My handbrake run is essentially the same but I used a Liberty - however the travel of the Liberty handle doesn't clear the top of the console AND when dis-engaged it hits the plastic cover in the middle of the console. Would be great to see a photo of yours with the cover removed if possible.
when i pull the vynal out to replace with carpet. i will get a few pictures for you

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Green_eyed_liberty wrote:at the moment havent done alot, as waiting to build a high-roof shed so i can have a hoist.

have just been collecting parts

got a new front bumper and headlights
How are the new headlights going for you ?

did you get HIDs ?
Are the inners "spoties" ?
If not HIDs did you alter the wiring to run all bulbs together on "high " ?

cheers

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:34 pm

henpecked wrote:How are the new headlights going for you ?

did you get HIDs ?
Are the inners "spoties" ?
If not HIDs did you alter the wiring to run all bulbs together on "high " ?

cheers
i went back to the stockies for the moment as the light output from the aftermarket headlights where crap (could of been the stock wiring)

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

>i drilled two holes in the rear wall above the trans tunnel, run the two cables through with rubber grommets. then bolted the new handbrake in (new holes into the trans tunnel with M10 bolts and decent plate underneath to spread the load), also bolted down the cable retention clamps behind the handbrake (OEM Forester style). under the carpet, and most of it is under the factory centre console

I did a bit of work on replicating this on the weekend, except I cut off the "reverse J" handbrake cable guide/channel from the Liberty and bolted it to the stock MY design. This way I can use the OEM factory nutserts for the stock handbrake instead of bolting through the transmission tunnel. My initial problem was the left and right brakes weren't pulling an even amount as the factory clamp uses a lock in design on one side and bolted down on the other side - and the lock-in side had pulled out due to insufficient engagement. I corrected that, but the other problem of insufficient engagement on the handbrake cable still exists. I routed the reverse J channel so it was tilted about 45 degrees towards the back of the car (instead of the factory design which comes out basically heading straight up), but the amount of travel just isn't sufficient.

1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 pm

I'm thinking of changing the routing so the cables run under the car (in the driveshaft channel) so (a) they can't be seen under the carpet (vinyl), and (b) it means the handbrake cable is pulled up and back rather than around and up. The only problem I can see is possible interference with the driveshaft (exhaust is far enough away) and running bolts up into the cab to hold the cable retention plate. The cables sitting under the vinyl makes the vinyl not attach to the locking pins on the floor near the driveshaft channel (vinyl doesn't stretch enough).
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:02 pm

dfoyl wrote:I'm thinking of changing the routing so the cables run under the car (in the driveshaft channel) so (a) they can't be seen under the carpet (vinyl), and (b) it means the handbrake cable is pulled up and back rather than around and up. The only problem I can see is possible interference with the driveshaft (exhaust is far enough away) and running bolts up into the cab to hold the cable retention plate. The cables sitting under the vinyl makes the vinyl not attach to the locking pins on the floor near the driveshaft channel (vinyl doesn't stretch enough).
id dare say the Tailshaft is too close to the body (no lift kit) to have the cables come up from underneath (stock location)

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:11 pm

finally got the Simmons back on, new outter lips (2'/2.5'), centers blasted and repainted, hardware repainted

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:07 am

Very nice, looks like the offset worked out well. What rear brakes are you running - H6's ?

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:29 pm

running 4 pot fronts, and 2pot rears with slotted rotors all round

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:17 pm

Ok, using Kartboy's or factory WRX backing plates ? I'm leaning towards H6's, but not sure on clearance under 16's...

mrwalker500

Post by mrwalker500 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Green_eyed_liberty wrote:installed the handbrake (04 XT), put in the bigger brake master..
What parts did you have to collect to do the rear hand brake on the xbread kit?
Would it be the same for XT6 hubs with WRX brakes on a brumby? Sweet looking brumby by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wife, 'Oh that's nice, it can be our sons first car'
Me, 'Yes I will make it strong and safe' ...and fast, but there is no way a 17 year old is going to drive it.:lol:

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:11 pm

still fiddling with the Brumby.

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:30 pm

finished my battery relocation

and as it sits right now getting the new rear (turbo?) lateral-arms in, with new bushes and bearings. also swapping out the dogbones for the proper 2pot backing plates

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Looking awesome mate!

Tell us more about that turbo engine carrot you've dangled, you tease!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:01 am

El_Freddo wrote:Looking awesome mate!

Tell us more about that turbo engine carrot you've dangled, you tease!

Cheers

Bennie
*its an EJ205 (02 wrx)
*it will be running the WTAIC with whatever size transfer cooler i can fit at the front (along with the alloy rad and AC condenser)
*been toying with the 2010 impreza long runner manifold (it supposivily flows the best, it also gets rid of the factory TGV's) i just think it looks cool. one problem i see is the added height on an already tight engine bay
*also toying with the TD05 (with the 90* inlet pipe) will see what space i have left in the brum.
*getting the loom trimmed up to just run the engine, and i will integrate it with the brumby loom (or if SilverBullet goes into business re-wiring brumbys ;-) )
*gearbox will be a RA box with DCCD

will be trying to tuck as much of the wiring as i can (Brumby AC solinoids will be transferred to the inner guard, main loom will be shifted to inner guard)

battery is now in the back, so a factory airbox will sit where it should.

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:12 pm

geeezzz 6 months since last update.. how SLACK of me.

ended up killing the carby on the EA81 buy running E91 ( in a brain fart moment put the cheap fuel in)

so started the EJ conversion, bit by bit started ticking things off the list. rails and subframe modded, hydro clutch installed, new brake master

ran another brumby "in" fuel line as my "return" line, made a box under the back that contains the lift pump, low pressure and high pressure filters, Bosch 044 and surge tank. i sound deadned the insides of the box and foam mounted the pumps to keep the noise down.

the last month or so have been working on the wiring loom for the turbo engine and tidying up different parts of the car

re-enforced mustache bar with Superpro bushes, FWD vortex sway bar (replaces the turbo RX rear swaybar i had in before)

3.9 rear diff, DCCD 5speed gearbox, shortened tailshaft and linkages etc,

THEN. have been using the parents car while they have been touring Aus, only to hear they are home bound (3 months early) so now required the car to be finished sooner rather than later.. so ended up dropping in an EJ18 that i had sitting in the corner (this had previously been in a brumby, so the loom etc had already been done)

another weekend should see it back together.. and hoping it has little to no teething issues

(exhaust/ alloy rad/ service on the missus SH)

Macca

Post by Macca » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:40 pm

how did you do the Hydro Clutch??
Macca

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”