'92 Brumby resto w/ '84 wagon for parts

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
timzigg

Post by timzigg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Cheers Freddo.

I read your thread, my welch plugs were no where near as bad luckily!

How does the cylinder get full of watery oil if the head gasket is fine? I get that the welch holes allow the stuff to mix but how does the stuff get in there?

I'll definitely replace the welch plugs in the other head, they're probably in much the same condition though I haven't looked yet. I pulled the spark plugs out of it and didn't see any water/oil on the plug like the other head. Maybe if I got a long cotton tip and put it in there I'd find evidence of it if it's in there.

I'll do the plugs in the short block too since the whole cooling system is really corroded; I'm guessing the guy who owned it used plain water instead of coolant. The spare engine that's in pieces is really handy for finding things like the location of the welch plugs, the spare head is also holding all my rockers/pushrods etc in order.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:17 am

the guys in US use a thick piece of glass ~6mm or more, bond a sheet of wet and dry of grade of your choice, hit it with spray oil lube and circular motion to face the heads. Tried it myself and happy :) Watery oil, fondly known as buttermilk after coolant and oil been mixed with heat and oil pump pressure can and will get caught up in the PCV lines and rebreathed to cylinders :(

I had another case of rain water in sump up to the level of the bottom of the turbo , sat about at least six months , thought motor would be stuck shut - yet turned freely ! I guess if it had evaporated out then it would have rusted. May never get it running though ...

Yes, donk is not just a character in Croc Dundee :)

timzigg

Post by timzigg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Haha, it's been ages since I've seen the croc dundee movies.

When I drained all the buttermilk out of the sump about 1L of water came out first.

Ordered parts yesterday; head gasket, welch plugs + a few filters and things to make up the amount which qualified for free shipping.

Until they arrive I'll probably focus on the daily drive; a 96 camry wagon which needs the attention that's been lost to the brumby.

timzigg

Post by timzigg » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Parts haven't arrived yet, and I'm moving to Melbourne for three weeks for a work opportunity (only found out today and I'm starting on Wednesday). Therefore there won't be anything going on here for a month.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:45 pm

No stress mate. Patience. My offroader's been int the shed for about 6 weeks and I've barely had time to look at her :/

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Afterthought: why not pack the engine and work on it after you're done for the day? :twisted:

Bennie

timzigg

Post by timzigg » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:47 pm

Haha, I might pack the Gregory's manual for a bit of light reading.

I've got the parts now, they'll be sitting there teasing me until I get back.

timzigg

Post by timzigg » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Back home again and had more of a chance to look at it.

I noticed that a steel pipe attached by a hose to the water pump was rusted out, so I pulled off a few more things to see how bad the corrosion was. Here's the lower radiator hose connects to the water pump:

There was also a heap of the stuff in the top hose.

I'm concerned how bad it might be inside the block, I'm thinking I'll definitely have to replace the bigger welch plugs that are there.

I'm once again leaning towards using the wagon engine. What do you guys reckon?

timzigg

Post by timzigg » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Long time no talk. Short story is I finally got fresh welch plugs in the head, cleaned it all up etc then noticed a massive crack between the valve seats in each cylinder I'd missed :oops:

Going to start playing with the wagon engine tomorrow to see if I can get it tuned up.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:28 am

Bugger mate!

I don't know how I missed those pics of the cooling systems all gummed up!

It looks to me like someone has mixed two different coolants and it's all turned to jelly. That would not be fun to play around with.

I hope the wagon engine is better!

Cheers

Bennie

timzigg

Post by timzigg » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:42 pm

The wagon engine is so keen it ticks with excitement ;)

About to check valve clearances and do a compression test.

timzigg

Post by timzigg » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Done the valve clearances and it still ticks. Going to have to wait until someones around to give me a hand with the compression tester.

I put up a video of the engine running on the facebook brumby group so you guys can hear the ticking. You won't need to have Facebook to view it, just follow the link.
https://www.facebook.com/tim.dyson.12/v ... 331268050/

timzigg

Post by timzigg » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Apparently it's rod knock. I don't have the facilities to rebuild engines sadly. Dad has a new workshop in planning for the farm, hopefully sometime this year. So looks like the project will be on hold for now.

I've taken my camry off the road recently, so I'm going to be on the look out (and saving $) for a roadworthy (or close) brumby or MY/L series wagon to replace it. Luckily the family's got a spare Magna that I can use pretty much indefinitely.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Definitely not a healthy noise :( seems to loud and low pitched to be valve train noise. I've heard similar on one of my own engines years ago which turned out to be a failed main bearing.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”