89 Targa Brumby

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Suby Spanner

Re: 89 Targa Brumby

Post by Suby Spanner » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:09 am

I've got a Dual Range ej 5speed and rear diff, with 3.9 diff ratios. Thing is, I've found another 5 speed with the 3.9 ratio, but the rear diff is already gone: Does anyone know if any of the auto's or single range 5speed Subaru's have 3.9's so I can grab a matching diff for it?

Restoring/building this 89 Targa is sort of on hold, I'm patching up a cream one first: I bought two 'parts' brumbies many years ago: but it turns out, this cream one will scrub up ok! I've got some lower 'A" pillar rust repairs to do, I've pull the windscreen out, and blow me down: The windscreen channels are fantastic: The drivers side isn't even rusty. But the drain holes are blocked, and I suspect this has cause the A pillar rust issues: I'm guessing I'm going to need to pull the dash to patch the firewall properly? Anyone got a link to a walk through for dash removal? Most of the links are dead since the host move sadly.

And finally: It appears the original vinyl flooring shrinks: Has anyone ever bothered reusing/stretching it some how? Or we all just jumping to carpet these days?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:18 pm

Subi Spanner, the auto L series were all 3.9 diff ratio and I believe many of the early Imprezas were 3.9 ratio too.

Good news about that beige brumby! I’ve not heard of rusting out at the base of the A pillar without a hole in the corner above it but I guess anything is possible.

Vinyl floor - live with it or convert to carpet. My L series floor has the worst shrinkage that I’ve seen. My brumby is ok and seems to have faired well.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:28 pm

Thanks Bennie! That makes it an easy decision: Next spare day, get that box then :)

Yes, interesting about the rust: Surprising how bad the a pillars are. Oh well, it's well worth saving, it's the best EA81 I've owned too!

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”