Chridk Brumby, Subie Boys

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:16 am

vincentvega wrote:cridk you lucky bugger. i really need to find a brumby so i can get in line!
I need to find about 10 grand to get in line with Sunnie!!! That accounts for travel expenses up and back in that figure.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Hey Subi Boys (and other Brumby people), My dad recently bought a brumby - his first subaru for many years - he tells me it's a backup car in case their others break down and they can't take his mother inlaw to the doctors... I know better :p

Anyway, he tells me that there is quite a bit of room under the front of the tray, where the foot well for the back seats in the wagon would have been. Is this true? I haven't got my own brumby yet to have a crawl around, but if so it could change my plans a bit.

Thanks. :)
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:57 am

There is an empty void where you mention, between the rear firewall and the fuel tank crossmember. I always thought it would be a great site for an auxillery fuel tank or a false floor for the spare tyre/tyres. I'd have to measure it to be sure but it's "about" 1000x400.
Settlement Creek Racing

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:28 pm

we are about to install a water tank in that spot in my mates car
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Cam

Post by Cam » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:06 pm

vincentvega wrote:we are about to install a water tank in that spot in my mates car
Hope the tanks got baffles in it...

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Thalass wrote:
Anyway, he tells me that there is quite a bit of room under the front of the tray, where the foot well for the back seats in the wagon would have been. Is this true? I haven't got my own brumby yet to have a crawl around, but if so it could change my plans a bit.

Thanks. :)
I have seen a brumby with a box put in the area you are talking about and used as a battery box.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Not much going on at the moment. Putin a rotisserie together to make life a little easier for us.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:33 pm

cool idea the rotissere.Was watching a rodding show the night and they used a hub and disc for the spinning/locking.Makes life easy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:33 pm

Whoa!
What exactly does that do haha ?

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:39 pm

rtcb65 wrote:Not much going on at the moment. Putin a rotisserie together to make life a little easier for us.

WTF is that?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:05 pm

There's one of these frames for either end and you knock up something like a towbar for front and back to bolt to the bumper mounts,with a spindle/axle jutting out that slips into these frames. Pretty simple setup that is quite safe and easy to use.

I welded these up from some scrap pipe a couple of years ago for an HZ Holden wagon body that Rick (rtcb65) was working on (and I did some serious re-engineering on for him) that WAS to be bolted up to a LandRover chassis. The rotisserie setup worked brilliantly, so when the project was scrapped, I kept the pivot frames aside so we could use them again someday. Well, someday is today... They may look a little ungainly or "slapped together" but they are surprisingly strong (tested well beyond what you'd ever normally do with them) as they rely on triangulation and the anti-twist properties of tubing.

In a few days there should be pics up here of the newly "spit roasted" Brumby.
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:02 pm

rtcb65 wrote:I have seen a brumby with a box put in the area you are talking about and used as a battery box.

Aha! That's what I was thinking. Depending on how much space 18kWh of battery takes up... 1000x400mm could be big enough. That'd leave the whole tray for stuff, and the engine bay for a small diesel genset!

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Any reason for a diesel genset? Those honda 1-2kva ones are gold!

Cheers

Chris

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:33 pm

Started to take the paint off to see what we can find.

We did find some extra work to do.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:16 pm

I like your safety boots.
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:19 pm

Just a tiny bit of filler to remove from the surface, and then we can reshape the original panels. The amount of bog plastered into some cars really baffles me. It's as if bog is cheap or something...

Steve.

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:51 pm

probaly find that may have been factory done, my RX turbo l series was like that, also my mates had the bonnet the same when we cut the scoop in, about 4mm of bog on it???
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:46 am

Manufacturers only put bog (better ones still use lead) in the turret and sill joins etc. They don't shape the entire car out of bog, as even with total disregard to what quality they may be giving you, try to imagine the cost and time involved in bogging and sanding to shape every single car they manufacture...

Some people are surprised by large patches of bog in a car they bought new thanks to damage caused at the dealership by salesmen or testdrivers. It's worth a dealer's trouble to hide damage and still sell the car for it's full price, with as cheap a repair as they can get away with, as long as it looks pretty and lasts the warranty period.

I was only informed yesterday that this Brumby is to be a show car as well as for street/strip use, so off comes everything that's not metal and all the panels get put back to their original pressed shapes. We do this anyway, with any car we do, but this one will get a little extra special treatment because lots of people are going to be looking inside the wheel arches and underneath.

Fun, fun, fun, all the way...
Steve.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:23 am

lovey80 wrote:Any reason for a diesel genset? Those honda 1-2kva ones are gold!

Cheers

Chris
I'll need more like 5-6kVA. And a diesel can run on pretty much anything. :P

Man, that's alot of bog!

clarkey

Post by clarkey » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:14 pm

subybrumby wrote:Geez mate, ya just finished one, have a cup of coffee first....
i agree ayy. you guys sertanly dont waist any time do you. but on the other hand i dont blame ya id wanna have all the subies i can lookin as good as you guys make them asap. ill be watching this one for sure. id like to see the progress as it comes along.

Michael.
nuthin beats a subbi

Previous rides: 1998 rx liberty sedan, 2007 mitsu 380 and now a 2005 foz, lifted with bigger and black wheels ( Got rolled :( ) and now a 100 series land cruiser.

Return to “Subie Boys”