Chridk Brumby, Subie Boys

riksta

Post by riksta » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:49 pm

looks like you guys are cooking up a storm, i mean Brumby.

Looking good so far guys.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

Jludcke86

Post by Jludcke86 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 pm

Hey, I am Ross's daughter (The coffee lady),

Yeah the boys are slowly getting things done.

But they love what they do and it stops them complaining that they are bored.
Jasmine
Rick's Other half

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 am

Wow, man. You guys are awesome! Is it difficult/expensive to rig up a rotisserie like that? I assume you can lock it in place somehow - otherwise you'd need someone to hold the car while you worked!
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Now that steve is back from getting married , the rust can be started on. Like an iceberg , 1/8 shows on the out side and 7/8 is hidden .

With the amount of bog that was on the panel to bring the panel back out to the body line , it was easier to remove the panel and reshape and put back on than trying to beat it on the car.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chridk

Post by chridk » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:31 pm

NICE work boys, Thought there had to be some rust lurking somewhere, lets just hope that its not hidding anymore.
Lookin good.

Cheers Chridk

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:00 pm

might be easier again to get the same panel in good condition from another Brumby wreck?

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:56 am

AndrewT wrote:might be easier again to get the same panel in good condition from another Brumby wreck?

maybe a good idea! But something tells me they get more satisfaction this way.

Keep up the good work boys I bet it will be a cracker.

Cheers

Chris

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:21 am

We'll splice a section off another Brumby into this rear 1/4, as the steel has been worked too much in the past (hammered, heated, pushed, pulled, mutilated) for it to ever be any good again, even though it kind of looks like it isn't so bad. I'd even go to the trouble of shaping a replacement panel from new sheet steel if there wasn't a panel available, as this bit would never really be any good as it was.

As for the rest of the rust, I tend to be able to see it right through the exterior metal. It can't hide... It comes from years of experience with what water and dirt does to steel when it gets into the nooks and crannies inside a car's panels and framing, so it's fairly obvious to me when I look at the tiny holes that are "visible" when you strip the paint off, where the rest of the damage is and how much is in there.

Another thing is, you've got to realise it's far easier to just cut things wide open and fix the individual bits and reassemble afterwards than it is to d!ck around and fiddle with trying to fill the outside holes just so you have something to paint. To me, cosmetics are secondary to the structural quality and safety of the car...
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

beastofburden

Post by beastofburden » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:05 am

Hmm brumby,s coming along nicely. I wondered how you guy,s would fix that bogged qtr panel it was nasty... Bumper an bullbar fit a treat on the l series!! thanks again.. cheers steve

dibs

Post by dibs » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:32 pm

is the doner guard of my old one steve

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jludcke86

Post by Jludcke86 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Things are slowly moving along on the Brumby. Steve is doing the panel work. As he is doing that the boys are just doing work to their cars
Jasmine
Rick's Other half

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:59 pm

OK, here's today's effort. I decided the cargo bulkhead needed to come out so we could repair the seam along the bottom. It's a common problem with Brumbys, as there are no drain holes in the floor and both sides of this seam tend to get a lot of dirt banked up against them, causing them to rot right across...

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:17 pm

wow....just wow...i would really like to come meet you guys and watch you work....i am amazed at what you are doing with what looks like basic tools..i'll even be tea or coffee lady on the day if i can just watch what you do....
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

brumbee

Post by brumbee » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:48 pm

while its so back to basics, do you think you can fit a 27" tyre under the tray
or anything else usefull

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:01 am

Very nice work there boys, Chris will be very happy with the end result knowing that he basically has a brand new car once its finished. Love the attention to detail. I love the ingrown attitude of taking the Hard right instead of the easy wrong. Every customer you guys have in the future can leave thier cars with you with full confidence that a great job will be done.

Cheers

Chris

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Wow... I didn't know you could do that!

I wonder if you could make a dual-cab (cab and a half?) brumby?
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:27 pm

you could build a pocket into the wall that you cut out and use the space for stereo gear mounting or as a general storage area
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:02 am

dibs wrote:is the doner guard of my old one steve

dibs
Dont worry , your old brumby is not a donor car. Steve is even removing it from town so it cant be touched. lol
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:12 am

chubby37 wrote:wow....just wow...i would really like to come meet you guys and watch you work....i am amazed at what you are doing with what looks like basic tools..i'll even be tea or coffee lady on the day if i can just watch what you do....
Any one is welcome to come see our little redneck set up. All we need is a little warning so we can be there , not out getting parts so you are not standing round for hours waiting. And if it is steve you wish to watch , you have to make it a Thursday or friday.
brumbee wrote:while its so back to basics, do you think you can fit a 27" tyre under the tray
or anything else usefull
From what i have noticed , i doubt it. Dont quote me on that though.
Thalass wrote:Wow... I didn't know you could do that!

I wonder if you could make a dual-cab (cab and a half?) brumby?
Steve ( last celtic ) is thinking of something along those lines for his brumby.
chubby37 wrote:you could build a pocket into the wall that you cut out and use the space for stereo gear mounting or as a general storage area
You could do that , We cant though. We can only do what the owner wishes.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Picked up a brumby today to take the panal cuts from. It is a real pitty though. It wouldnt take much to get it on the road. It is the only one around with decent panals that we could find. If things go right , the cutting will start tomorrow.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subie Boys”