Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

roscoruby

Post by roscoruby » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:12 am

thanks barry1956, the boys have always had a passion for the older cars. What they are doing to them is just keeping them alive & well. they love what they do & do what they love.
as a support person for the subie boys, lealaroo, i am so proud of what the guys do, & i know all the positive feedback they get from you guys out there makes them feel great too.
thanks to everyone
lealaroo
Ross
1996 Gen 2 liberty Wagon, manual with L series low range Awd and vlsd .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:14 pm

last celtic warrior wrote:Another little update to this "nearly done modifying the crap out of it" project...

Designed and made up the final flanged "subframe bridges" to gusset the front to rear sections of the main subframing today. I'll be making a template tomorrow whilst knocking up the sister to this one for the other side, so it'll be simpler to replicate for other cars in the future (very near future appearantly). As you can see in the pics, it's fabricated out of a basic piece of "C" purlin (1.6mm wall).

Next step (after whipping up the other chassis gusset tomorrow) will probably be fabricating and grafting in one of these to carry the centre bearing on the two piece tailshaft...
I wish I was on your side of OZLAND I would be placing orders for all those bits you have made so I could beef up my Brumby

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:08 pm

IF you were on our side , it would be a good idea . It is only my view, but if ya put a 200hp or bigger engine in a body only designed for about 90, is not to bright. That is why we have put all the extra's into this one. Our own will be getting the same as our cars will get a slight up grade in the engine department.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:37 pm

After putting a helly coil (how ever it spelt) in dales car to hold the exhaust on the motor. Steve started on the center bearing carrier for this one.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:45 pm

Your ones so much better then the one i am half through at the moment, i wish i had the skills to make it look that good.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:18 pm

As area's are free from being welded and moded, i hope. The area is wire brushed down and givin a good coat of cold gal.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:50 pm

After making 2 radiator mounts, Steve got back into the cross member. It doesnt look to pretty at the moment, but once the encapsulated nuts are welded in and welded to the brumby tomorrow and givin a coat of cold gal, it should look the part.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:36 pm

i like what u are doing .
can u tell me how u are going to pant over the cold gall ?

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:54 pm

phillatdarwin wrote:i like what u are doing .
can u tell me how u are going to pant over the cold gall ?
Hey Mate,

That is a good question. I would like to keep the cold gal to help the rust resistance . Only prob with that is, not sure if the paint and paint prep will go over it. In theory , the cold gal is self etching , so it bonds to the metal. If we etch prime that , etch should bond to the cold gal. Then undercoat and paint. In theory. But how many things work in theory and don't work reality. There's a few , and some how i think this might be one. If it doesn't work, it is a simple case of , take all the cold gal off and start with the etch and then under coat and so on.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:14 am

This is what Rick was talking about. I was asked to take an angle grinder and a hammer to a leftover bit of "C" pulin so that a Liberty radiator can be slotted into a Forrester. Had to make mirror images of the original (after I'd modded it too)...

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:45 pm

All finished and mounted up.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

riksta

Post by riksta » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Hay Rick, if you google "cold galvanizing paint" you should be able to find all you nead to know about what types of paint you can paint over it.

from what I know you can allmost put any kind of paint over it, but it depends on what type of cold gall you have used.

Have a read yourself and see what you think.

The car is coming on nice, keep up the good work Guys.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:33 pm

that is very good workmen ship i wish i was that good .

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:39 am

A few more pics of the finished floor structure (remember it has those full width beams on the inside too).

I gave the underbody a good look over after welding the member in and zipping a few welds around the seat belt mounting plate, and I felt pretty good about how everything worked together. I seriously want a drive of this car once it's on its wheels again, to see how different it feels over a standard Brumby (should feel more like a Bugatti Veyron chassis...).

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:18 pm

More area finished with the welding so it has been re wire brushed and givin a coat of cold gal.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:12 pm

Steve has been down for the last couple of days and has been working on the wheel well. It has been moved up a little. More has been done since these pics were taken, but i dont have a update pic yet.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Hey Guys, The Ute looking great, i wish i could get my brace looking as good as yours does... I just finished my brace for the 5 speed on mine although i didn't do the top piece brace and feels really good and solid. Also just put a front strut brace from Jeff (CrossBred) and it corners and feels way better i should have done it years ago. Also the ratio's really suit the EA81 down to a tee.... It is really worth the effort..
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Matt wrote:Hey Guys, The Ute looking great, i wish i could get my brace looking as good as yours does... I just finished my brace for the 5 speed on mine although i didn't do the top piece brace and feels really good and solid. Also just put a front strut brace from Jeff (CrossBred) and it corners and feels way better i should have done it years ago. Also the ratio's really suit the EA81 down to a tee.... It is really worth the effort..
Hey Matt, Well done on the making and fitting the cross member. I agree, with it being a great idea. Ross likes the the 5 speed since he put it in.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:17 am

looking great guys! as usual your workmanship is factory standard!
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:26 pm

A more up to date pic . The well should be finished tomorrow , then not much metal work to go after that. A couple of encapsulated nuts to be replaced and any final adjustments once start test fitting.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subie Boys”