Subie Boys , Lovey80 Resto

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:28 pm

lovey80 wrote:This is what I get.
Seems my Mac cant load it..... Bugger it. Bloody frog in an ice cube!
Here lies your problem :p

Seriously I'm sure it's just a setting that is blocking them
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:33 am

One more step closer. With the battery box now in the brumby, the tow bar wont bolt up. So with a bit of thinking and cutting and welding. There is now a tow bar.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 am

The problem is , Now to try to explain this in writing. The ring ( locking ring ) is towards the end of the shaft on the cup. In the diff, the place for the ring to lock into is in the wrong spot . For it to sit right. the lock ring would have to be at the other end of the drive spline in the diff. As we don't know enough about cusco diffs, we wont take it apart . What it looks like , is either the ring grove was machined in the wrong place or , if it is possible , the spline was put in the wrong.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

78sti

Post by 78sti » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:47 pm

That photo looks like there is a double spline like the lhs shaft of a subaru viscus lsd. Does the diff have the same spline setup on the other side. You may just need the double spline doj found on a viscus lsd as they are different.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:57 pm

78sti wrote:That photo looks like there is a double spline like the lhs shaft of a subaru viscus lsd. Does the diff have the same spline setup on the other side. You may just need the double spline doj found on a viscus lsd as they are different.
Na, it not the double spline job. Double checked to make sure. Both sides the same.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Rick.. from what it looks like and seeing many other Subaru shafts in my years, it that the shaft you have is for the earlier WRXs and you need the later ones. The later CV shafts have a tapered end. Hard to explain without a picture but at the end that first goes into the diff is tapered off so there is no spline and that mates up with the centre of the inside diff (if that any sense at all??) and there is a left and right CV shaft on the early but not the late ones.

More pics of both shafts and both internal diff splines would help sort this out a little easier.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:49 am

RSR 555 wrote:Here lies your problem :p

Seriously I'm sure it's just a setting that is blocking them
It's only just started happening. I have been using my Mac to see this forum for ever and my Iphone is starting to show the same thing..... hmmmm.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:45 am

lovey80 wrote:It's only just started happening. I have been using my Mac to see this forum for ever and my Iphone is starting to show the same thing..... hmmmm.
Yeah I was just kidding about the Mac thing.. it's just a PC joke (sorry bad one I know)

But really sure you browser has changed it's settings during an upgrade or fresh install of a Java or similar.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:09 am

I'm pretty sure you need these shafts for the diff, RSR555 / Paul can either confirm this or correct me.

they are un-equal length shafts from a 96-97 wrx

this was stolen from here

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums ... t=67246841

this will show which shaft goes where in the diff

http://funonwheels.net/atsshop/index.ph ... r=7&page=4

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:36 am

RSR 555 wrote:Yeah I was just kidding about the Mac thing.. it's just a PC joke (sorry bad one I know)

But really sure you browser has changed it's settings during an upgrade or fresh install of a Java or similar.
I can see all of the photo's on everyones signatures and I can see the photos of the two shafts above but the ones before that come up as an image of a frog in a bloody ice cube.... WTF

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:44 pm

TOONGA wrote:I'm pretty sure you need these shafts for the diff, RSR555 / Paul can either confirm this or correct me.

TOONGA
Yeah Jules.. they are the early shafts but I believe Rick requires the later model shafts (ones with a tapered ends) and more pics will confirm this.
lovey80 wrote:I can see all of the photo's on everyones signatures and I can see the photos of the two shafts above but the ones before that come up as an image of a frog in a bloody ice cube.... WTF
Try loging in on another computer.. I find I have the same issue with my windows based phone as it's designed for mobile/light use and pictures use lots of download.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Oi! I've got a mac and have no issues with viewing pics...

Thought I'd share that ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:04 am

El_Freddo wrote:Oi! I've got a mac and have no issues with viewing pics...

Thought I'd share that ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Sorry to hear that Bennie and here I was thinking you're a smart man :rolleyes: hehehe

I'm sure it's just a settings issue.

BTW.. Rick, did you get any more pics?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 am

Without me changing a thing the photos started working again......I use other sites with the same format with no problems...... it must have been MY settings within the Ausubaru forums which have just changed back?

Rick does the one at the bottom look like it would work?

Blue Steel got your PM thanks......

Cheers

Chris

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:41 am

RSR 555 wrote:
BTW.. Rick, did you get any more pics?
Hey Mate,

Both sides are the same , what it looks like , is some one has simplely put that drive cog in backwards. But i doubt , that can happen. Dont quote me on that though.LOL.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:53 am

rtcb65 wrote:Hey Mate,

Both sides are the same , what it looks like , is some one has simplely put that drive cog in backwards. But i doubt , that can happen. Dont quote me on that though.LOL.
I can't see it being installed backwards but stranger things have happened. When you say both sides are the same, are you talking about the shafts or the circlip groove in the diff? Can you tell me more about the diff mainly what model it was supposed to come from? and if there is any markings (i.e. UJ or XL) in bold white paint on top of the diff? Have you been in contact with Neil? Do you have any history on it? Would be good to know if the diff has ever been apart?

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:54 pm

RSR 555 wrote:I can't see it being installed backwards but stranger things have happened. When you say both sides are the same, are you talking about the shafts or the circlip groove in the diff? Can you tell me more about the diff mainly what model it was supposed to come from? and if there is any markings (i.e. UJ or XL) in bold white paint on top of the diff? Have you been in contact with Neil? Do you have any history on it? Would be good to know if the diff has ever been apart?

Cheers,
Paul
Hey Paul,

When you say both sides are the same, are you talking about the shafts or the circlip groove in the diff? : The easiest way would be , if everything was right ( as in fitting properly ) (, i could take the drive shaft out of one side and put it in the other side. The only difference at the moment is where the ring groove is in the spline grooves. Like i said , it is as if the drive spline was fitted ass about. The ring groove would be in the right spot if the cog was turned 180 degrees.

Can you tell me more about the diff mainly what model it was supposed to come from? : The only info i know about the diff is , it was advertised as a impreza diff.

Have you been in contact with Neil? : To the best of my knowledge , he hasn't answered any contact we have tried to make with him.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:17 pm

I picked up the car this afternoon and brought it home. Off to the painters tomorrow for a two pack finish. With all the rain around over the last year or more it really wasn't feasible to get it painted in the Subie boys shed. Chances are it would have ruined all the hard work they have put into this one. Looking at it in the driveway it is easy to appreciate the workmanship (is that a word) that has gone into this car up to this point. Will look forward to getting dirty with the boys for the final fit out so that I am acutely aware of everything that has gone into it and don't have to take it to them every time maintenance is required.

So the next photo's in this thread should be of phase II complete with the paint finished.

Cheers

Chris

chridk

Post by chridk » Fri May 27, 2011 9:01 am

Some progress paint pics would be great too Chris

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:16 am

Sorry Chridk, the car was taken to a paint shop and my father will be picking it up soon as I am out of the country again. It will be of the finished product........Lets see!

Cheers

Chris

Return to “Subie Boys”