L Series Build up Subie Boys

rtcb65
General Member

L Series Build up Subie Boys

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:30 pm

A member on the forum need to get a ute for work purposes and his L Series started to play up. ( Blown head gasket ) He wonted to see it go to a good home that would look after it like he did. So he PM me and asked if i was interested. Arrr, yar. We went and got it and decide it is to be come my miss's car.

It is going to be like the Leone project. As the dollars allow , it will come together slowly , piece by piece . We are hoping to EJ it with a liberty AWD duel range box. It will be mainly a road car as mine is the bush car. It will be interesting as we don't know much about the L Series yet.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:45 pm

pretty tidy looking wagon!! cant wait to see this one evolve!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 pm

As ya can see by the date on the pics we have had the car for awhile. We picked it up about 3 months ago , my be even longer.

Anyway, since picking the car up , Ross and myself went out to the wreckers and pulled half of a touring wagon apart and got the electric windows and wiring out of it . Also i brought a alarm system and central locking. A bloke contacted me to see if i wonted to have a look at his Subaru and he brought it around. As we talked , i found out he had some stuff lying around. Turned out there were 4 RX doors. The drivers door on the wagon was bent so the RX drivers door went on the wagon . I liked the door trims on the RX doors but they didn't go with the wagon trim , so i mixed and matched.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

someguy

Post by someguy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:22 pm

Looks good.

Your latest pic reminds me to get around to installing central locking in mine :P

I have the same project in mind for mine once I clock up a bit more milage or something expensive blows on the current engine. I will drop a EJ22 in and maybe change the gearbox if funds allow it.

I want to get some nice alloys that will look mean on the streets (put my sunnies on only when I go offroading) but 4 stud rims are hard to come by.
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm definately going to be watching this thread as i've been doing the same to mine. :) Be very interesting to see how it turns out. Good luck :)

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

Jludcke86

My Baby

Post by Jludcke86 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi I am Jasmine, Rick's other half, And I am the owner of this beautiful wagon. I am very excited to be able to see the progress on my own car and get to work on it as the stages come and go.

This beaut wagon is my baby. I am so proud to be finally a Subie owner.
Jasmine
Rick's Other half

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:20 am

I dont know how it is going to turn out , but i am going to give it a go. Some how mold liberty door trims and L series door trims together and hopefuly and up with a nice trim. Put the checker where the cloth is on the liberty trim and blue on the rest.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 am

smiling here......
Another good project to watch, aren't you lucky Jasmine!
Good luck and all the best, will be watching this thread.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:05 pm

Hmmm... You boys will love the L seires and all the quirky changes between the model year of the L, the difference between the MY and L - then noticing the old MY features back in the liberty if you ever work on one of them...

Good luck with it - good to see you've already got some challenging ideas for the L.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:43 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Hmmm... You boys will love the L seires and all the quirky changes between the model year of the L, the difference between the MY and L - then noticing the old MY features back in the liberty if you ever work on one of them...

Good luck with it - good to see you've already got some challenging ideas for the L.

Cheers

Bennie
Quirky changes, ya not wrong there. I might be speaking from lack of time on the L series, but at the moment , i prefer the M.Y's. They are a lot easier to work on and have ALOT less pollution on them . But as the saying goes, time will tell.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Bye to L series

Post by rtcb65 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:56 am

We are saying bye bye to the L series. A friend of down south of us has found himself with out any transport. So to follow tradition with the L , we are giving him the car as it was given to us. All the mods wont be tried out with it. Yet. Well may be . We will still be keeping an eye on her as he isnt very up on subaru's . Yep , converted another. What i am going to do , is take a couple of pics and post them of the car when it is ready to leave , and any as it goes through its life with its new owner , if there is any interest.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:50 pm

It is now at Ross's so we can finish it off and get ready for a roadworthy.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:23 pm

As we have decide to clean up around the place and get rid of a few cars , one was an L Series , so we striped out any thing that was worth while . It had seats floor coverings from a touring wagon . So Ross and myself stripped it and cleaned up the interior pieces to go into this car. Steve made up some brackets for suspension for another car.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 pm

*chuckles* nice "interiors" line I used to do that with my cars when I cleaned them out and I'll have the clothes line full of "stuff" lol.. Good one!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Ross , myself and Ross's son spent today pulling the motor out and stripping it down , to get the heads refaced as it had a blown head gasket.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:39 pm

The heads are now in to be done up, Valves reseated, shot peened , refaced and all that sh-t.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:21 pm

Ross and i spent today on this one, Laying out the wiring for the electric windows. Rewraped it all with new speaker wiring in with the rest of the wiring . Soldered all the ends on new plugs for the speaker wires. Fitted it to the doors . The dust lining that lines the door was replaced with the ones out of rx doors. The moldered ones. Even went as far as to take the speaker covers that are molded in the door trims on the rear doors from a touring wagon and mounted them in to the door trims for this one.
Only thing left to work out is what to cover the winder holes in the door trims. The rx doors that i got these out had normal winders . I am thinking of some sort of Subaru badge that goes with the trim. Anyone have any idea's.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Perhaps a pack of those black subaru centrecap jobbies off ebay? they're cheap as chips and they're dark looking so it won't tand out as much. also just wondering how u clean and dry your interiors/seats? Cheers

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:52 pm

subarooster wrote:just wondering how u clean and dry your interiors/seats? Cheers
Since the items come out another car , it was easy. Simply used a pleasure washer and some upholstery cleaner. That's how they do it these days at dealerships.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Ross and i got in and done some more on this one to get it ready. Reassembled the drivers door electric mirror, which isn't hard , unless ya do what i did. Pulled it apart at the same time as pulling apart 3 other electric mirrors from different model Subaru's and then just shoved all of the parts in to the same box. and only ever pulled an L mirror apart once , and that was the time .

Also sanded back the drivers door and undercoated it. The reason why is, the original door was bent and this one come off an rx i believe and is a different color white than the wagon.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Subie Boys”