Subie trailer = WOOHOO

last celtic warrior

Subie trailer = WOOHOO

Post by last celtic warrior » Tue May 26, 2009 11:44 am

Finally got the rego onto the trailer I built recently. I was slowed down a bit by lack of funds, but she's all legal and on the road now. Tows really nicely too and only weighs just over 100kg.

The main basis of the trailer was the roofrack I used to have on my old wagon (originally an ARB Troopy rack), which I've really missed as it was so damned handy. The drawbar is the one I made years ago to tow my beach buggy behind the wagon, it bolted to the floorpan and front suspension beam. As we were converting young Ash's Leone sedan to 4WD I made use of the spare 2WD rear suspension we took out. Sit all the bits together and tack it in a few places with some left over C-purlin and hey presto...

Cost me about $50 all up to build it.

Tail lights are new Toyota trayback units. ($10 on ebay including postage)

And yes, it's a tipper...

Fenders bolt on, so they can be easily removed to get at suspension, or un-ding them if I happen to ding them.

Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue May 26, 2009 12:42 pm

wow that's awesome, I love the tipping function! It just needs some nice white 14" rims to really round off the look :) Are you utilising the brakes? No need for something that small I guess but just wondering.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Tue May 26, 2009 1:51 pm

looks awesome :D

im guessing no brakes, as you can see the inside of the drums there ;)

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Tue May 26, 2009 1:52 pm

Nice. How much did it cost to get rego'd? Wouldn't you have to get an engineer to certify it or something?
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Tue May 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Rego is $88 a year for a trailer in Qld. $38 more than it cost to build the thing... :???:

No engineer advice needed, you just build it, drag it to the nearest Transport Dept and tick the right boxes, then take your new number plate out and screw in on... You do need to go into the Trans Dept and get a trailer manufacturers plate before you can do the rego process though, which costs a whole $5 and you engrave your details into it, then rivet it to the trailer.
Steve.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue May 26, 2009 3:26 pm

nice and its interesting looking trailer! I've thought about making small one, but have no where to put the trailer!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Tue May 26, 2009 6:58 pm

That tipper action should be great for getting the sand out.................. lol
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 pm

Interesting, I'm looking for a statutory rite off brumby that I can take the rear cut off and use for a trailer
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:21 pm

A bit of an update on how the trailer's going...

Rebuilt and fitted a 7500lb electric winch, onboard battery and finished the gantry and chains. My wife and I even used it to effortlessly (but diligently) lift and move my '62 VW Notchback body and place it in a better spot on the property for working on it. The bits sitting on it in the pic are some parts for the quad bike I'm putting together...

Steve.

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm about to start putting up my shed and my wife's stables, which will use ironbark posts about 10 inches thick. Since the posts will weigh a bit, and they'll be pretty tall, I knocked up a crane jib to lift them with and make it easier to place them in their holes...

The jib pops apart easily without tools and stows under the deck of the trailer, so I'll always have it with me (never know when you'd need it). Also, the arms of the jib double as extensions to the trailer when carrying full lengths of material, so I'll have a "surfie bar" above the roof at the back of my car, with the smaller gantry extending the rear (with clearance lights) giving me 4 metres between bars, which will be perfect for strapping 6.5 metre lengths of timber or steel to. It'll be legal too, because the only load overhang will be what extends past the bars, as they are actually part of the trailer, not part of the load.

Oh, and the lifting height is a full 3 metres, while safe working load should be at least 500kg. I'll also be putting adjustable stays on the suspension arms so I can lock them when lifting heavy stuff...

Steve.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Handy machine to do many tasks!!!!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 pm

:o

The things you can do when you own a Subaru trailer.. My next project after the spare wheel carrier :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 pm

RSR 555 wrote::o

The things you can do when you own a Subaru trailer.. My next project after the spare wheel carrier :)
lol...another thing I should discuss with you then Paul. I still have my original `85 touring wagon (my first suby) - just the rear end. I cut it in half when it died and threw the front end away. You may have spied it in my yard at Girrawheen. One day it will become a trailer for maybe camping purposes. I figure it basically needs a 6x4 frame stuck under it. Undecided on whether to keep the Suby Kframe/hubs/suspension or use the donor 6x4's axel and leaf springs tho.

Celtic, your resourcefullness never ends!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 pm

AndrewT wrote:lol...another thing I should discuss with you then Paul. I still have my original `85 touring wagon (my first suby) - just the rear end. I cut it in half when it died and threw the front end away. You may have spied it in my yard at Girrawheen. One day it will become a trailer for maybe camping purposes. I figure it basically needs a 6x4 frame stuck under it. Undecided on whether to keep the Suby Kframe/hubs/suspension or use the donor 6x4's axel and leaf springs tho.

Celtic, your resourcefullness never ends!
HAHAHA.. I also have the rear section of an L.Series to make a trailer out of :) Looks like I'm going to be way too busy this year :roll:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Subie Boys”