Fat '84 Touring Wagon

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:39 pm

The car is coming along quite nicely actually. I personally don't mind that it's taking a little extra time with all the other things that have come up recently. The last of the welding on the body is done and I'm really happy with how solid everything is now. This car is even stronger now than it was when new, with crumple zones still function if they're needed (hopefully not).

Here is the last bit of welding I did on it. It's the load space in the back, where I added tiedown points over the entire floor, including 6 loops around the perimeter that will poke through the carpet. When carting dirty or heavy stuff, the carpet simply rolls up and stores on the floor in front of the back seat, exposing the thickly tarred surface of the floor and the extra tie down points, allowing anything to be laced to the floor to stop it from moving around and doing damage to the car or the object. Afterwards, the carpet goes back in place and everything's clean and undamaged.
Attachments
lastweld1.jpg
lastweld1.jpg (95.97 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 pm

I have to say , The car is nothing like it was before he started. He has gone up to 3 layers deep. All signs of rust have gone. Hand made and shaped every piece of metal that went into it. Even put the little strength shapes back into the replaced peices eg: bottom of B pillar of my wagon.

Also the weather and other jobs have side tracked him. eg: cutting up and cleaning away fallen trees for pensioners. Had a strong wind here a week or so ago and as he is a total wizard with sheet steel, i asked him to make up an item for me. That has taken up 2 days of his time.

I wish him the best of luck with the rebuild of his subaru. Not that he is going to need any as the metal work is done and every part he needs is there as spares myself and another bloke have keeped from our rebuilds. And anything else he needs , he can make out of anything almost. He has a talent with being able to do that.I nicked named last celtic warrior Mcgyver years ago. That should give you an idea of his talents.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:25 pm

This is the simple box he wanted me to whip up, to duct air from the WRX scoop to the air cleaner. I couldn't help but design it with consideration for flow dynamics and water extraction...

The duct is made from 0.9mm gal steel sheet, with all seams fully soldered. It needs finishing yet...
Attachments
duct3.jpg
duct3.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
duct2.jpg
duct2.jpg (68.16 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
duct1.jpg
duct1.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
Steve.

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:59 pm

Getting closer to being finished now. I decided to add the sections to the chassis now, before coating and rustproofing everything and I'll make the other barwork up later, once it's on the road. This first pic is the plain original underbelly, followed by the chassis sections I've designed, fabricated and fitted. The chequer plate boxes are the new lift points for the car and are quite strong.

This is what goes on inside the 2mm plate skin. Full webbing to support being jacked in any position without buckling.

Tomorrow, we spray the sealant/body deadener over the whole underside and inside floor...
Steve.

rtcb65
General Member

nice

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:59 am

Yep. in the shed now to start on the panel work. coming along really nicely. wont be long now. another .MY. to leave the yard in 100% better nic than when it turned up.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

julian

Post by julian » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:06 am

Neat soldering on the galv. In terms of water extraction for the duct, have you just drilled small holes in the base just inside of the small ridge?
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:44 am

Mate,

How do you get the car on it's side? How do you stabilise it?

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:05 am

Ben wrote:Mate,

no joke! mad props going out to ya mate! looks like you know what your doing with a welder ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:55 pm

As Rick (rtcb65) said, the car is in the shed now, and he's doing a great job with sanding for me, while I whipped up these "nostril" scoops out of a bit of skin from another bonnet. I was going to use several pressings cut from donor parts and welded together, but couldn't find the shapes I wanted, so decided to make them from scratch out of single pieces of sheet. They are spot welded (using a MIG) around the outside edge and the bonnet skin is wrapped onto the frame at the edges of the holes under the scoops...

Steve.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:55 pm

Ben wrote:Mate,

To answer you about getting it on its side . A couple of us lift it and there are 3 to 4 tyres put under the top of yhe B piller to stop it from going all the way over and the wheels stop it from coming back. It sits there nicely..
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:42 pm

Latest shot, from today. Just got to sort out surface imperfections before squirting the paint on now. And going to spray the rest of the proof coat into the inside and roof tomorrow, then stick the mylar insulation up to the ceiling. Also got my electric mirrors sorted out (Holden mechanisms retro fitted into Subaru casings).

Oh, yes. Forgot to mention the sunroof. Just scored that the other day after considering it would be nice to have one and would be best to fit one now rather than after I've painted the car. Perfect fit, and makes the roof even stronger than standard.

Steve.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:28 pm

looking good! cant wait to see her all painted up!

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:25 am

Steve would have been alot futher along if we didnt keep dragging him away to do other things, Likes of today ( 5/11/07 ) he fixed an alarm system. A diode or simular blew out. He replace it . Only thing is , he had to find out what was wrong first. It took a couple of hours of searching, then dismantling and then repairing and replacing.
Then he got a chance to get back to his own work. then the day was over. With the other projects going on , he dont get to much time to work on his.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Looks off the show!!
Those twin scoops give a kind of muscle car look... or maybe its because of unpainted shell and the dirty look :D i love it

rtcb65
General Member

bump

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:40 pm

....bump ,,,,
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:53 pm

Getting real close to being finished now. final surface prep and undercoating will be done tomorrow, including sand blasting and prepping the wheels. scheduled for top coats to go on over the weekend.

Everything's coming up really well and I'm quite happy with the progress now.

And I've managed to make this progress while making bits for other cars, like the new steel rear bumper with tyre swinger (remote electric release with custom made lock) for the sister car owned by young Dale (son of the guy who's house my car is being built at). And this is the paint that I applied a few weeks ago, and is not yet polished.

Steve.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Just noticed you're runnining a auto.Welcome to the auto gang Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Soo, how much approx do you reckon you'd charge to clean up the outside of a mostly straight brumby and give it a coat of paint ?
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

rtcb65
General Member

Respray Brumby

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:18 pm

stinky wrote:Soo, how much approx do you reckon you'd charge to clean up the outside of a mostly straight brumby and give it a coat of paint ?
We dont charge for our labour. Just ask abit towards power and a couple dollars each as a thank you( Your choice to the amount). The only main cost is that you supply the stuff to do the job. E.g. Undercoat, sandpaper thinners, Etc.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:33 pm

how long do you reckon you'd need it for? obviously you wouldn't know for sure without seeing, but roughly ? PM me if you'd rather discuss outside of the topic.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

Return to “Subie Boys”