Subie Boys Next Wagon Resto

Michael_va

Post by Michael_va » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Excellent work you guys....I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished project. That midnight blue paint looks great!

In this thread, post number #191, there is a picture of the interior showing the new dash panel, ready for the future stereo.

A couple of Questions please...

1) did you modify the original stereo/ash tray panel by simply covering it with vinyl or some other material that you then painted, or did you discard the original panel and build a new one from scratch?

2) If you built a new one , what materials did you use?.

This is a really fascinating thread.......and I just became the proud owner of a rather beat-up 84 MY wagon 2 weeks ago. It needs and will get, a lot of TLC.

Watching you guys makes me feel like pulling mine totally to pieces. I think I better go lay down and rest until the feeling passes... ;-)

regards,

Michael

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:46 am

Michael_va wrote:Excellent work you guys....I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished project. That midnight blue paint looks great!

In this thread, post number #191, there is a picture of the interior showing the new dash panel, ready for the future stereo.

A couple of Questions please...

1) did you modify the original stereo/ash tray panel by simply covering it with vinyl or some other material that you then painted, or did you discard the original panel and build a new one from scratch?

2) If you built a new one , what materials did you use?.

This is a really fascinating thread.......and I just became the proud owner of a rather beat-up 84 MY wagon 2 weeks ago. It needs and will get, a lot of TLC.

Watching you guys makes me feel like pulling mine totally to pieces. I think I better go lay down and rest until the feeling passes... ;-)

regards,

Michael

I got a touring wagon console. Most are butchered in some way so i removed the face panel piece by cutting it out but keep the surrounding piece. Made up a new piece to fit in the surrounding piece out of light tin plate and then covered it with vinyl with padding underneath. All things covered in that color are vinyl not paint.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:44 pm

rtcb65 wrote:I got a touring wagon console. Most are butchered in some way so i removed the face panel piece by cutting it out but keep the surrounding piece. Made up a new piece to fit in the surrounding piece out of light tin plate and then covered it with vinyl with padding underneath. All things covered in that color are vinyl not paint.
This is how I've done Sunnie's stereo Console too. But I've used MDF board and after neatly cutting the hole and getting all the mounts sorted found that the head unit is too long to fit in the area behind the panel.

I've currently got a second unit I've made up waiting for the glue to dry - its been covered and is 3 sheets of 8 or 9mm MDF thick to space it out from the heater box. Next trick will be to mount it all in there securely ;)

I'll send sunnie up next week fellas, you look almost done there 8)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 pm

The new gear knob for the wagon.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:27 pm

El_Freddo wrote:This is how I've done Sunnie's stereo Console too. But I've used MDF board and after neatly cutting the hole and getting all the mounts sorted found that the head unit is too long to fit in the area behind the panel.

I've currently got a second unit I've made up waiting for the glue to dry - its been covered and is 3 sheets of 8 or 9mm MDF thick to space it out from the heater box. Next trick will be to mount it all in there securely ;)

I'll send sunnie up next week fellas, you look almost done there 8)

Cheers

Bennie
Only problem with sending sunnie up is , it will have to wait in line . Two brumbys are already in line.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Just a pic to show how the inside is starting to take shape.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:41 pm

What will that padding under the cigarette lighter be used for, or is it staying like that. Different I guess...

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:23 pm

Bumpty wrote:What will that padding under the cigarette lighter be used for, or is it staying like that. Different I guess...
That is where the Stereo, Uhf, or alike , will be put once the owner buys the what he wont's. What else would it be for!
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:38 am

rtcb65 wrote:Only problem with sending sunnie up is , it will have to wait in line . Two brumbys are already in line.
Two's a party, three's a crowd - unfortunately it wouldn't be happening anyway, time and money shortage for that sorta thing...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

chridk

Post by chridk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:28 pm

So whats left to do on the mighty wagon boys ?. By the look of the photos theres just the upper door trims left, anything else on the purchase list still to come.
Hope to see this thing in the flesh before it rolls off the production line.
Will speak to you very soon hopefully.

Cheers Chris

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:29 pm

chridk wrote:So whats left to do on the mighty wagon boys ?. By the look of the photos theres just the upper door trims left, anything else on the purchase list still to come.

Cheers Chris
Hey Chris,

The exhaust goes on tomorrow we hope and the top door trims tomorrow and rest as they are finnished. Then the once and twice over to make sure everything is in right , done up, etc. Then the first start of the new engine .

To day doing the breaks check and rebleed , we found a block in one line and a split in another line. That is why we do the check over and over and over.

If you wish to see the car , you have about 10 days to get here. Roadworthy is set for early next week and goes about a week later.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:09 pm

rtcb65 wrote:Only problem with sending sunnie up is , it will have to wait in line . Two brumbys are already in line.
chridk wrote:So whats left to do on the mighty wagon boys ?. By the look of the photos theres just the upper door trims left, anything else on the purchase list still to come.

Cheers Chris
An here is someone waiting for Brumby #1 to start. :)
Settlement Creek Racing

ror

Post by ror » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:21 pm

It's taken me a fair while to read through this, but worth it. Love the amount of detail.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:37 pm

The top of the doors have been worked out. The 3 of us had put our 2 cents in on the design and steve put it together.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:49 pm

awesome looking door trims guys!

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:41 am

Oh my god, another quality personalisation!!! How does one get to the top of that line of Brumbies????

Cheers

Chris

last celtic warrior

Post by last celtic warrior » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Ok, seems I get to share these pics before Rick does. How cool is that... LOL

This is how you mutilate "fairly good" MY door fabs.

Here we see Rick screwing with fitting up the last door fab.

A nice full brochure stile pic of the whole interior.

And the spot the young owner is hopefully going to like driving from.

And I did the small repair on the alarm today that I was unable to resolve the other day. Used salvaged parts out of a modem, as you do...
Steve.

- BARNES AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGIES -

ror

Post by ror » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:33 pm

And I did the small repair on the alarm today that I was unable to resolve the other day. Used salvaged parts out of a modem, as you do...
I don't know why, but this just made me grin. :) Very impressive work on the door trims too. Can't wait for the big 'overview' pics once it's all done.

dibs

Post by dibs » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:35 pm

s&*t you guys are great .

like me i bet others in here are envious of the products you put ot . but i guese any one can do it they gota just put there mind to it. look a stuart (brumbyrunner)and any others that have acheaved to build/restore a car to there specs

see ya soon steve were workin up there a fair bit now so il ring you soon

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Geez Rick you could have at least brushed your hair!
Settlement Creek Racing

Return to “Subie Boys”