Subie Boys Next Wagon Resto

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:54 pm

rtcb65 wrote:Image

Also have to work out all the wiring from the switch.

[/I][/B]
Power mirrors! This is what i'm looking at doing to my gf's mum's brumby once i've got the electric windows in... Do you have to use commodore power mirrors or are these easily available from where you are? I'm looking at using the L series power mirror mechanisims. Any thoughts here?
rtcb65 wrote:Also the mirrors have come along a bit further . The motor plate has been fitted to the cases and thanks to steve , the wiring is now sorted.

How have you fitted these? - are there 4 screws visable from the other side of the mirror housing? I'm yet to get hold of a spare mirror housing to pull apart and check out properly.

Last question - how do you hide the wiring from the mirror into the door - or do you have a neat wire protruding from the case into the door?

Sweet work once again!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:34 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Power mirrors! Do you have to use commodore power mirrors.
How have you fitted these? - are there 4 screws visable from the other side of the mirror housing?
Last question - how do you hide the wiring from the mirror into the door - or do you have a neat wire protruding from the case into the door?

Sweet work once again!

Cheers

Bennie
To answer your questions. We use commodore mirrors as they are shallow , so they fit in the case.
Fitting is by using the same mounts as the original ones.
and to answer the last question. We use 5 core trailer wiring as it is neat and the mirrors require up to four wires. Also so thinking about putting the indicators in the mirror like other subaru's so that will use up the left over wires in the core.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:18 am

ive put leds in my L touring wagon power mirrors, without much hassle. only problem is a cant get the glass off without cracking it, evertime. so it has no 'mirror' in it, but looks sweet an night. hahah
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Just that little further along today. Some more parts come in , so in they went. Fitted the new brake shoes and slave cylinders, Had the drums and discs machined, pulled the adjustment for the brake shoes apart and cleaned it up.

Painted the brake drums ( they are bright red, but dont look like it in the pic )

Also finished the floor off , rust inhibitor , body deadner and painted over the top with chassis paint.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:02 pm

far out you guys sure know the meaning of attention to detail
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

riksta

Post by riksta » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 pm

looking good there guys, real good.
love all that new paint work (ie. red brake drums)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:00 am

Thanks to all for there feed back posts. Having a little break over the weekend. The one of us who has the house where we do the work has gone away for the weekend.

It is a real learning process doing this restore. It is the furtherest we have gone on a car before.
Yesterday we pulled the calipers apart and cleaned and painted them ready to be re kited. Also cleaned up the power steering unit ready to fit the new rack ends and tie rod ends . Just waiting on the new shock cartridges inserts for the front suspension . Once they get here , the front end will go together and the car will go back on its wheels . Then the body work begins.
Once again, thanks for the feed back all.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:04 pm

Walked out the front awhile ago and found a package on my front steps. It was the shockie cartridges for the the struts. So change of plans. I couldnt wait till the end of the weekend to fit them . Off i went and got the struts and fitted them . They are the only cartridges i could find. I tried monro , kyb, ac delco, gabrial and none of them made them . At least with these , the struts stay adjustable.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:04 am

awesome work, guys. Makes my future projects a bit daunting, but hey that's half the fun.
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:04 pm

Started on some of the panels. Taking them back to metal where possible.

A bit more of the under body is done . The wheel arch and crumple zone is all cleaned and coated.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Question

Post by rtcb65 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 am

Does any one know of any other brands that make the shock cartridge insert for the M.Y.
rtcb65 wrote: At least with these , the struts stay adjustable.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:53 pm

Not much done on her today. Fitted new engine to mine today. Having a few teething probs with it at the moment. Tomorrow fitting another engine to Steve's car just to get it mobile until he gets his engine finished.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Done a little on her today. Took some paint off and cleaned up the gearbox and help steve fit the temporary engine into his car. Also got more parts in , Only a couple of things to get now and we will have most of the items to finish it off.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:44 pm

Things are moving a little further forward, The front end is almost there. New drive shaves ,radius rod bushes,ball joints and tie rod ends, rack ends and rack boots and pieces cleaned and painted.

Also Steve has started on some panel work .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:11 pm

I can't believe the work you guys put into everthing.
Do you want to do mine next?
Settlement Creek Racing

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:04 pm

That front end looks like new.Does Mr. Subaru know about you guys?
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

riksta

Post by riksta » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:57 pm

thats a well known rust spot in the MY & L Subys, from what I can see , its not that bad.
Nice repair work Steve.
Keep up the good work guys, looking good, real good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 am

Things are moving on that little further as the days go by. Steve is doing his bit with the rust . The are just above the spare wheel area , where the wiper transfer arms are.

What was ,

And what it is now.

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:35 pm

Things are moving nicely. The rust in the battery carrier is done.

More panals have been back to bare metal and now are etched .

rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:59 pm

thats a great job guys. im in after brumbyrunner ay? mine needs this kind of attion to detail also. keep posting.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

Return to “Subie Boys”