The Brumbyrunner Project

Moderator: brumbyrunner

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:32 am

Well the engine is bolted in place! The engine bay was prepped and then painted with a black primer/sealer yesterday morning and the motor dropped in after lunch.
Was hopeing to leave the radiator support panel in but there was no easy way to make it fit around the oil cooler line and exhaust crossover pipe so it had to go. I've also decided on using a 2" body lift now, so there is plenty of room for the coolant hoses. We'll have to build a new lower rad support panel about 2" further forward. The good news is that the gearstick locates in the centre of the gearstick hole in the tunnel. More good news is that I was able to massage the drivers side strut tower enough to fit the WRX booster and brake master cyl.
Brett has taken some pics so I'll see if he can post them up.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:57 pm

vincentvega wrote:I will try and get up during the week then - very keen for a look ;)

Its looking good dangerous....you need to go see it ;)

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Well today we managed to finish the underbonnet wiring. There are 4 big wiring bungs I had to cut new holes for in the firewall. The rollcage runs through the original holes behind the strut towers so we couldn't use them. Dave built the new gearbox crossmember and I fitted the back half of the lift kit.
Pics soon I hope.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:57 am

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:30 am

awesome work there on the body modifications

they should have come like that from factory!

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:20 pm

What with the EJ20T in it, that would be awesome! And more travel in the suspension... Looks better ever picture you post. Nice work!
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:19 pm

Mmmm, I reckon if those mods could be blue plated, there'd be a lineup of Brumby's waiting to get into the BYB workshops.

Looks very nice - please keep the pics and info coming.

Jack
1999 Outback (some mods)
1989 Brumby (more mods)

Subaru - Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 pm

Dave put the rear diff in this morning and then built mounts for and installed the tail shaft. I spent all day adapting the pedals to fit. Ended up using an MY brake peddle box with the Liberty accelerator and brake peddle. Then Dave put the steering column in. It's all coming together slowly. Much thanks to subie-wan-kenobi. Tomorrow should see the arrival of the air filter and coolant hoses.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:17 pm

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:28 pm

Brett and Dave started on the coolant lines today. They are turning out really well, better than I had expected. Check out the fresh pics Brett just put up.

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:00 pm

I presume the additional volume in the extra long coolant circuit would be a good thing for hard, high temperature runs. Just how huge are the radiator and thermo fans going to be? I'm interested to know if the OEM water pump is up to the task, or do you have plans for a better pump?

Jack
1999 Outback (some mods)
1989 Brumby (more mods)

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:05 pm

tough as

will do my best to drop by tomorrow morning
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:06 am

Jack wrote:I presume the additional volume in the extra long coolant circuit would be a good thing for hard, high temperature runs. Just how huge are the radiator and thermo fans going to be? I'm interested to know if the OEM water pump is up to the task, or do you have plans for a better pump?

Jack
I am using the stock turbo rad and fans that came with the front cut and the stock water pump. We wont know how well the cooling system works until the car is driven but there are plenty of ways to improve it. I have an electric water pump in case, we can duct the air into the rad or possibly use a bigger rad.

The long coolant lines are a bit of an unknown quantity. If you talk to racecar builders, they will tell you to keep the rad in the stock location at all costs. It elliminates the headaches because they know its going to work. It just wasn't an option for me.

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:08 pm

I wonder if you'll get any hydrodynamic surging throught the long pipes under hard accelleration and/or braking?

From the pics it seems there is a fair amount of pipe along the longitudinal axis. Probably wouldn't be a problem at legal road speeds, but if you're racing and going from say 200km/hr to 40km/hr to negotiate a hairpin, then hydrodynamic surging may occur through the pipes.
1999 Outback (some mods)
1989 Brumby (more mods)

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:30 pm

May also need a good pressure pump to keep the water moving through at a reasonable volume unless the pipes are oversized.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:14 am

After a whirl wind tour, Brumbyrunner has left the building. He is on his way back to the gulf with the brumby in tow. It is still not complete but is running and driveable. He still has to fit the new suspension, trim the guards to take the 30's and get it cams approved.

The water issue is not a problem with the EWP we have now fitted. Cooling capacity is around 9 - 10 litres.

BTW, some more pics have been uploaded.

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:07 am

The tray work looks awesome. Love the exhaust piping. ;)
1999 Outback (some mods)
1989 Brumby (more mods)

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:04 am

the tray is starting to look like something out of mad max!

kickass work
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:21 pm

It looks nothing like how it goes, with the 30s on there it will certainly haul hard
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:30 pm

hay brumby runner where are you located? if your not too far away you should come race here when we have a meet, id love to see that wepond in action.

maybe i should stop reading this thread im being inspired lol
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

Return to “Brumbyrunner”