Today I laid out the EJ wiring loom in WackyBug and hooked up a few things.
Also made a dashboard out of some checkerplate (Thanks Vidler for the offcut!) complete with two toggle switches and a pushbutton starter button.
I'll cut the holes for the temp and tach gauges later.
As it stands now, to get her driving she needs
- Fuel system. I need to fit a MPFI fuel pump and install a fuel return line.
- Radiator. I need to custom mount the liberty radiator
- Electrics. I need to wire up the fuel pump and radiator fans and hook the power up to the ECU. Also wire up the alternator.
Thats about it.
Mechanically she really needs the front two driveshafts swapped for the new ones I have, and the welded diff installed - but nearly ready to drive anyways!
I also used my new welder to zap on a couple of brackets to act as lower radiator supports. This is so the entire standard Liberty radiator would fit along with it's massive fans.
I just did a quick run up the street and back in front wheel drive - wow, very fast.
This afternoon Alex, Matt and Matatak came over to lend a hand. We did a quick tidy-up of the wiring, finished bleeding the radiator, fitted a new battery, fitted the new number plate , fitted the tailshaft, filled the gearbox with oil, fitted the temp guage, and a few other last minute jobs.
Then it was time for Test Run #1 - just a quick run out to the Gnangara pine forest to try one easy-ish hill climb and drive along the limbstone roads.
Bloody hell she is very quick, when it actually gets traction somewhere in 2nd gear it just shoots forward with wild fury. She still loves boggy sand, tackling it with ease even at very slow speeds (note, tyres fully inflated and open rear diff).
There is still a long way to go as the test revealed lots of other jobs to do (most of which I was expecting);
- last minute upgrade to a larger battery meant it was too big for the battery clamp, well, you NEED a battery clamp. We made one out of an okky strap but yeah, I will make a bigger one!
- we need to make an exhaust, it's too loud and smelly with just the headers
- a small metal splash guard from under the rear fell off, it must have been loose from ages ago, really need to go over it and make sure everything else is completely tight.
- I really need to put the good front driveshafts in, the ones in there are almost at their end
- Gotta get the welded rear diff in, this will be a good upgrade
- Need to learn not to let my very inexperienced mate drive it....he's used to sports cars with quick shifters....result - low range gear smashed from bumping the low range lever half out of gear and just keeping the accellerator planted! Now I have to change gearboxes grrr! Ah well at least this one was very worn out anyways (used to be in Vidler's Brumby).
I *think* the guys got a few little videos, maybe some photos. I'm sure they will be posted soon.
(clunking like all hell is the front CVs!)
Shes Crazily fast alright .
PS - AndrewT i left a few presents next to ur welder today. u shall find em.
Wagon is no longer....
The Subaru Wacky Workshop -All About the WA Boys