Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:45 am

El_Freddo wrote:...I took a right at an intersection then noticed a dumped blue plume of smoke from the back of Ruby Scoo.

Brain went into over drive to work out what it could be, then stopped - check oil pressure! Zero on my little guage. Bingo, worked out what it was - blown oil line to the pressure gauge. I shut off the engine and pulled over to check out the problem.

...but the problem was the oil line that comes from the T piece on top of the engine came off for reasons currently unknown - thus a jet of oil was squirted over the top of the driver's side engine bank and on to the fire wall and the hot exhaust... fun fun.

More pics to come of the T piece and mess of the oil everywhere.
As promised - the oil covered EJ:

The culprit. The oil line to the in cab gauge parted company with the T piece:

All fixed. I also swapped out the alternator and modified the single nut/bolt setup on the static mounting point to two individual bolts. The stock setup can't be removed and re-used with the lift kit in, I'd have to drill through my radiator to get the bolt out. A hammer bent it nicely to remove without damage to the radiator - see right hand side of pic for the two bolts.

Here's my trusty night light for working on the street in the dark. The juice bottle has the remaining contents of the sump! That's about 1 litre...

Down at the Lakes car wash to get rid of the oil, Ruby Scoo copped a rough manual hand wash too - no auto wash (the bomb!).

Also a question about the alternator - I've got an in cab surge protection unit with a battery health gauge (push button) - poor/fair/good/charging. With the 3 driving lights on (130W each) and the stereo the charging light drops out. Is this an issue with the alternator needing some attention/the alternator not big enough for the load or the gauge being too basic to give an accurate reading (just a light for each stage of battery health)?

^ I'm not sure if I ever got around to posting the thermo fan setup after I got the three ebay units for $107 or there abouts including postage - 1 9 inch fan and two 7 inch fans. I probably wouldn't bother with the 7 inch fans again, the 9 inch has much better air movement and is slightly narrower too. Still very tight in there but it all works as I hoped - I've also got the fan belt shrouds installed but don't have a pic of this :(

Went for a blart to burn off the excess oil - I've got a feeling I'll be doing this for a while :( Ah well...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:46 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Down at the Lakes car wash to get rid of the oil, Ruby Scoo copped a rough manual hand wash too - no auto wash (the bomb!).

Cheers

Bennie
Love those wheels bro.. so jealous :twisted:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Dann

Post by Dann » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 pm

has Paul sed, love the wheels.
Cars looking pretty F%$king sweet.
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:48 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Love those wheels bro.. so jealous :twisted:
And I'm jealous that your L AWD gearbox build is happening while mine continues to sit in the shed gathering another layer of dust!
Dann wrote:has Paul sed, love the wheels.
Cars looking pretty F%$king sweet.
They do look awesome, can't wait to get them back on and into the bush! They are a really good looking rim - well designed by scorpion! Shame they don't produce them anymore :(

Now to sort out this vibration issue and the talking gear stick thing and she'll be sweet again!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:59 am

El_Freddo wrote:And I'm jealous that your L AWD gearbox build is happening while mine continues to sit in the shed gathering another layer of dust!

Cheers

Bennie
I know how you can fix this problem.. send me the box ;)

btw.. I have replied to your other 2 issues and feel that they may be linked together.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:29 am

As people have already said Bennie the car is looking awesome. The wheels look like they should be there, much better than 13s! I second Paul linking your gearstick and vibration issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:17 pm

RSR 555 wrote:I have replied to your other 2 issues and feel that they may be linked together.
Venom wrote: I second Paul linking your gearstick and vibration issues.
I'm not sure about that as the vibration appeared before the noise! The vibration is random, the noise only seems to occur when towing a trailer as I've not heard it today but I've had the vibration!

I don't have the rear drive shafts installed as I thought this was the rear moustache bar that was creating the vibration and removing said shafts did the trick to get rid of it.

The tail shaft has been replaced with a unit that's 192k km's old, yet the same issue arises.

Time to remove one thing at a time that could be causing the issue until its gone. I'm thinking it is probably several things contributing. Also thinking it could be a gearbox mount, but really don't know.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 pm

Venom wrote:As people have already said Bennie the car is looking awesome.
Yeah it might come close to the green H6 liberty look :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:55 pm

"mine sitting in the shed gathering another layer of dust"

is this the one you were secretly building unbeknowns for unnamed guinea pig/test pilot?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:09 am

steptoe wrote:"mine sitting in the shed gathering another layer of dust"

is this the one you were secretly building unbeknowns for unnamed guinea pig/test pilot?
Nah mate, that one got used in another gearbox for a mate here at home. This dust gathering gearbox has the likes of this (courtesy of Paul):
RSR 555 wrote:Now to put the goodies in it :mrgreen: Install one RXII Centre Diff Lock.. Pics showing open and Locked positions

RH shot of the completed box.. showing the Centre Diff Lock Lever
:D This is the project I so want in my L series yesterday - especially now that I've got a set of scorpions to run on all the time -> Looks factory with those, and this gearbox build will give me factory gearing as well as lockable full time 4wd or AWD as its more commonly known as now :mrgreen:

I will be super excited about it when its done and I'm sure you'll all know about it!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:20 am

No probs Bennie and I hope you find the time to get it done.

I'm really liking the idea of this box as it gives the benifit of not having the adaptor plate and still having all the L.Series stuff like tailshaft, crossmember, etc.. all looking like factory :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hazey

Post by Hazey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:39 pm

Saw Ruby Scoo this morning whilst out and about in the work ute- pretty sure I've thrown my neck out watching it go past :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Hazey wrote:Saw Ruby Scoo this morning whilst out and about in the work ute- pretty sure I've thrown my neck out watching it go past :)
Hehehe... I keep looking out for your brumby Hazey but haven't seen it around in my short time back in benders. I'm in the area for the next two weeks then its up to hotham again. You would have seen me either on the way to Jaycar/Apco McIvor or my mates joint in Romsey.

Unfortunately you've not seen Ruby with her new boots on (in the flesh) - I'm doubting I'll get them on again before heading to the snow country :(

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm still trying to nut out this vibration - rear diff and half of the prop shaft have been dropped out and new plugs have been installed. Plugs made a difference, dropping the diff did not. Small vibration now so I'm getting there!

I'm now as of today battling either a now dead battery (sudden onset!) or a dead/dying starter motor as I'm having to roll start all the time. Very frustrating and haven't had to do this since the EA came out - I'm certainly having some recollections as to why I got rid of the EA! Don't miss it at all!!

New ball joints and tie rod ends are on their way to bring the front end up to spec before driving up and down the mountain from next week... Also will be swapping front drive shafts for a set from a parts car in the paddock (now that I'm near it again!). Hopefully these will get me through the snow season and until I get my project gearbox sorted!

Cheers

Bennie

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Well Bennie, as the tree said to the lumberjack - I'm stumped:p

J

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 pm

If plugs replacement helped, what about your compression. Not reading back to see if you have done check since probs began. With EJ being so bloody overpowering in the L may not act like an EA running low comp on one pot......

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 pm

steptoe wrote:If plugs replacement helped, what about your compression. Not reading back to see if you have done check since probs began. With EJ being so bloody overpowering in the L may not act like an EA running low comp on one pot......
Its a good point - not sure about the compression and I won't be checking it either, no time for that plus I have to remove half of the stuff in the engine bay to get a gauge in there. I got lucky with getting the spark plugs in there!

Yesterday I was push starting Ruby Scoo when ever I needed to go somewhere. The day before my starter motor just gave up without much of a slow death. So I stole the one from my mate's liberty we've been working on and ordered a new one. I had also ordered a new oxygen sensor as I've not replaced the one that came in the exhaust Y pipe - So I'm hoping for better fuel economy but am just happy to know the history of this O2 sensor.

The starter was pretty expensive but not as much as what other places quoted (distributors of my local parts joint). $260 and she fires up super easy now. Just glad it happened this week and not next week. That starter has done alright considering it was pretty much under water late november!

Wallet says ouch, Ruby says thankyou...

Also I had her on my mates hoist. I'm feeling a bit like a dick as I think the vibration is due to a lost weight on the rear left - same one that got me years ago :evil: I haven't bothered changing tyres as the same vibration was happening with the 27's on :???: Anyhow, if I'm not working tomorrow (finger's crossed its raining) I'll be swapping rear tyres and seeing what that does. IF it sorted the issue I'll be pissed and happy at the same time!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Vibration still not completely gone but she's much more enjoyable to drive at speed.

Anyway, to fix the bent moustache bar I took a straight one I had on the welded diff (ironic isn't it?) and went to a mates place with the open diff and parts needed to put it back in once done.

Using the bent bar, I tried to straighten it, not entirely successful or a wasted effort either. The bent unit was cut up to be welded to the straight bar. This is what they looked like:

With the two units mounted to the diff and clamped together I got to work:

^ Not the cleanest welding (MIG) like pauls but it will do the job. The bar has been stitch welded top and bottom as well as welded at each end. The nuts for the diff stubs have enough bite to allow the two bars to be directly welded together which is what I wanted to do.

Here's the bar fitted up after some non-macca's themed painting :P

Should go well. Now to see what bends next. Hopefully nothing.

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:19 am

Looks good Bennie and don't worry about the welds, those will do fine :) I also welded the top and bottom but didn't weld the ends due to flex (I fell this is where it most likely to crack under stress) and I also drilled out one bar so the diff bolts only went through one thinkness.

Glad to hear you didn't go with the Ronald McDonald colour scheme :mrgreen: and love your exhaust route ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:13 am

RSR 555 wrote:... and love your exhaust route ;)
It still amazes me what others see in images that are posted for an entirely different reason!

The bar went very well, had a blast offroad! The scorpions did their job very well too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIVAb_1OH4

:mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “El Freddo”