Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Moderator: El_Freddo

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Thanks mate! I don't get tired looking at her :twisted: I dunno how a gearbox is sexy but it is exciting to me - no, not in that way either!

Cheers

Bennie
Oh I donno...Looks like sex on a stick to me!

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Do you have a prenup with your Subie Doug?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Well the time had come and I was determined to find the wire to make my tacho work again - it hasn't been working since the huge rebuild.

So off I went, did some research, found out that Ben's wiring diagrams are no longer available (bummer), so downloaded the Legacy workshop manual from the forum and checked that out. Found out that it was a black wire with a blue stripe, C16 from the ECU that I needed. Found it at the ECU end, but for the life of me had no idea where it went in my conversion.

This posed an issue. I didn't want to do it but decided, "ah it's not that hard" - out came the dash. I missed one cable for the driver's vent and I managed to crack the windscreen. Not happy!

Anyway I continued rather annoyed with myself and found the wire. Turns out that if I had've just dropped the fuse panel and the wiring behind that I could've solved the issue. One of my connections into the L series loom had pulled out with the previous work I'd done. Such a simple thing! So I added a bit of extra wire to add length and it's sorted.

Got the dash re-installed and fully operational in 2 hours after adding some connections to make the whole thing easier next time (hopefully not a next time!). Tacho works - so I'm stoked on that front :D

Locked up the car and found that the immobiliser wasn't happy for some reason. Worked it out in the shower, the peripherals in the immobiliser system haven't been closed off, and where I put them they're probably touching metal - so off goes the lights every 30 seconds for 30 seconds... But if I lock the door and close it the immobiliser is happy after it re arms.

So now to sort out that wiring which won't be hard.

Next will be a long session in the shed this weekend followed by a little side project I've been working on - got the last couple of bits to do and it'll be sorted too.

Just need to chase a cheap LSD to add to the mix and I'd be one very happy Ausubi member!

Pics to come later!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Here are the pics of last weekend's efforts with the dash:

And the dash on the kitchen floor at about 4pm:

Installed and all working as it should:

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:03 pm

This has been a LOOONNNNGGGG time coming!

Finally busted into fitting the much awaited L AWD gearbox. It's not going yet but it's almost there.

Last night was a good session in the shed with the help of a mate, we worked later than anticipated but it was well worth the effort!

Here's the drive train missing except the engine:

This is how she's spent most of her time in the shed so far:

So grateful for the hoist!

Gearbox comparison - the front sections are basically the same - EJ. The rear are both L series but there's differences between the two, namely where the centre diff lives is the difference in the housing:

And here's the front diff output stubs, I've noted these as there's a difference now. I'm running EJ/MPFI turbo L series diff output stubs. Frog sorted me out with a set of new front shafts - had some issues getting them on but I put this down to new shafts and new output stubs that have a very tight tolerance! The difference is noticeable too:

Here's how we basically left her this arvo:

The newly painted grey support/stabiliser bar for the gear selector was modified too. It's a stock L series shifter set with the support/stabiliser bar bent to fit in where it needs to be. That was the only part modified so I can get all 5 gears and reverse. Turned out quite neat.

Next to do is sort out the low range lever, but that'll be done later. The exhaust is the main priority as the centre diff part of the rear housing fouls the exhaust. Also to do is hook up everything "up top" - clutch, hill holder (love it!), starter motor, intake duct etc.

It's all coming together. I'm getting that knot in my guts in fear of something being/going horribly wrong once it's all together :( Looking forward to the first drive tomorrow though!

Cheers

Bennie

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Great job on the transmission and install there Bennie. And having the hoist is and absolute bonus, A luxury I didnt have last year when swapping boxes over for the AWD upgrade.
Having new front shafts plus output stubs in the bigger 25 spline is the way too go I reckon. And the tight fit between them is diserable as less little driveline losses from sloppy fitting joins. Lets see how tight they are after oh say 25000kms of Rubyscoos' adventures! :twisted:

AWD in L'series = different car + fun especially with more powerful engine:-D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 pm

FujiFan wrote:Great job on the transmission and install there Bennie. And having the hoist is and absolute bonus, A luxury I didnt have last year when swapping boxes over for the AWD upgrade.
Yeah the hoist is awesome! This would have taken at least two weekends to complete otherwise I reckon!

The AWD should be good, I've got some high hopes for this!

I missed two images to do with the rear diff. After scraping the grime off, giving it a scrub with some petrol then degreaser and a high pressure hose, it was vice time to A) get the top bung out, it was practically welded in there and B) to fill it with oil before installing in Ruby Scoo:

I can't wait to see how this goes, pretty excited!

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 am

Shout yerself a new $10,000 hoist Bennie ? And a solid floor :)
Did I miss just what the new box is ? Coz you called it an L AWD - is that so it fits better than an EJ box in an L ? We know you have EJ engine up front and see 4.11 diff to go in the back....or is this L Series low range in an EJ AWD box ?

I've measured an L Series DR 5 speed against a plain jane AWD Vortex box in speed single range and one is about 10mm longer from front face of bell housing to maybe the rear seal - watching your tail shaft fit up.

While I am asking questions - the coil for an EJ is a 4 pack, the old EA was single - to make an EJ coil work an L or MY tacho - just correct pick of wires at quad pack coil ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:39 pm

steptoe wrote:Shout yerself a new $10,000 hoist Bennie ? And a solid floor :)
Nah mate, I WISH!!! Some day...

A solid weekend's work and it's done. Still need to sort out a couple of things such as the low range linkage and the vacuum solenoids (currently ~100km away "in storage"). Then the oil feed system will come later - just need a pump and some time.

We had to mod the exhaust to go around the bottom end at the back of the gearbox, it was a bit of fun and took less time than I expected - but that was because I had someone helping who knew what they were doing:

Got loads of clearance:

Test drive was a bit of a nervous moment - but all went well. I haven't really driven it any great distance but I'm happy with how it's going so far. I don't have to work the clutch as hard to move off from a stand still which is great.

The LSD is pretty responsive, with some throttle while cornering the car wants to straighten up. Glad I've got power steering!

It rained last night which was great as I was able to see if the AWD was worth the effort - the answer is a huge YES! Not a slip of any wheel and I didn't have to worry about slipping the clutch for longer to take off. I also just tipped 100km/h on the way to work and the revs sit right on 2750rpm - right where we wanted them :twisted:

One little downer is that the speedo is about 8-10km/h out, it's showing under actual speed. Going to look into a speedo box for this one I think.
steptoe wrote:Did I miss just what the new box is ? Coz you called it an L AWD - is that so it fits better than an EJ box in an L ? We know you have EJ engine up front and see 4.11 diff to go in the back....or is this L Series low range in an EJ AWD box ?
It's an L series AWD with locking centre diff. The diff ratio is 4.111:1, with front torsen LSD, 1.59:1 low range and an oil feed over the top of the low range to help with lubrication and cooling on hill climbs (this is yet to be setup, but the required pipework has been welded into the gearbox case). The front of this gearbox is cased in an EJ case so it's a direct bolt up with an EJ.
The L serie AWD box is a direct bolt in - no need to mod the gearbox crossmember ;)
steptoe wrote:I've measured an L Series DR 5 speed against a plain jane AWD Vortex box in speed single range and one is about 10mm longer from front face of bell housing to maybe the rear seal - watching your tail shaft fit up.
Slotted straight in - the gearboxes measure up the same as it's an L series gearbox!
steptoe wrote:While I am asking questions - the coil for an EJ is a 4 pack, the old EA was single - to make an EJ coil work an L or MY tacho - just correct pick of wires at quad pack coil ?
Good question. To make the tacho work you need the blue/black strip wire from the ECU. This gets wired into the wire from the coil to the dash, mine's been spliced in just before the big coloured plugs under the dashboard.

I'm now looking forward to getting the low range lever sorted and the diff lock to see what this thing can do off road as I think this is where I'll get the most advantage out of all of these mods with the gearbox.

I reckon the diff ratio change has been the best thing done with this gearbox. I'm also loving the handling with the AWD. Time will tell how the AWD and LSD wear the tyres, but I'm confident it should be all good.

I haven't taken a pic of Ruby Scoo since the work has been done, but here's one from the other week as she looks pretty much the same as before all the work was done :p

Bring on the September trip :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Looking great Bennie :) I will always love the mighty L Series!
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:21 pm

looking good. my neighbour had a hoist installed recently- $3000 complete.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Tigger wrote:Looking great Bennie :) I will always love the mighty L Series!
Yeah I can't let her go yet. Got a major going over almost two years ago now! Crazy it's been that long!
Tweety wrote:looking good. my neighbour had a hoist installed recently- $3000 complete.
Surely it's not a Molnar though? Apparently they're Aussie made and the bee's knees in hoists. Or did he get a two poster?

Either way, he needs one! Dunno if you'll get the trike on it though :p

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm no expert on hoists. think it is a 2 poster. but he has american cars of the 60's and it can take the weight of them. got it from the northern subs of Melb.

I've had the trike on a hoist. gotta place a strong bar under the rear of the trike. fiddly but doable.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:45 pm

easiest way to work under tweety is to do a wheel stand before a brick wall :):p

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 am

Picturing the wheelie against a brick wall - reminds me a bit of the joke about the dog peeing against a brick wall - both front legs against wall , standing on hind legs . According to his owner he's done it that way ever since a wall fell on him :p -

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:59 am

El_Freddo wrote: Image
Woohoo :twisted:

The newly painted grey support/stabiliser bar for the gear selector was modified too.
Nice job:cool:
El_Freddo wrote: Image
Now thats a vice! :twisted:
El_Freddo wrote: We had to mod the exhaust to go around the bottom end at the back of the gearbox,
Another nice job :cool:

Great work Bennie, Ruby Scoo will be pretty much unstoppable now...when are you heading back to Bullock Link Tr hahaha
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Awesome work mate. I'm glad you've finally got it in the car!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Awesome work mate. thats gotta be the best gearbox in an L series by far :)

Couple of next time suggestions though.

where's the extended breather on your rear diff? i know you like river crossings!

and you should have fitted outback speedo gears while you had the box apart!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 pm

NachaLuva wrote:Now thats a vice! :twisted:
Nevermind the vice... His calendar on the wall is not working anymore! Probably still saying May 2007...

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:13 pm

put 4 of them monster truck tyres on it. then the speedo will be accurate

Return to “El Freddo”