Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:34 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I've also picked up a new liberty radiator - going to go down that road after seeing a few pics of other L's with them fitted without cutting the lower support panel. I'll have pics of how that will be done.
Spewing. I was ready to throw in the towel yesterday arvo when I found out that the liberty radiator WILL NOT fit at all without cutting the lower support panel. Not only is this something I don't want to do, if I were to do it I'd have to wait until after the total fire ban days pass to be able to use the equipment I need to use to do the job.

So I think I'm just going to stick with my weeping oversized radiator until I can find a suitable replacement. The BRZ radiator looks like a good candidate and is a good fit, but it doesn't have a filler cap:

The other issue with this radiator is the cost and availability - postage one fleabay isn't nice, nor are some of the prices and I've found that they can range from 36mm up to 46mm for the dual core. Some have the Hot side lower down the side tank rather than right up top like the pics above (unless I'm looking at the radiator wrong and it's actually the cool side - outlet). If I got one like this a radiator cap "adaptor pipe" would be used to get a rad cap where I need it.

The link to snofool's build where I found out about the BRZ radiator. He had a header tank made up that hooked into his heater hoses - he's had issues getting the radiator full as you could expect.

In other news:

Both heads are now back on and I've fitted the cam belt and only cleaned up what I need - I would like to have a polished looking block etc but I'm out of time and really cbf'd. Plus it's only going to get dirty again as soon as I can!

I did note last night that there was a droplet or three behind the Passenger's side cam seal. This could have been a sign of the blown HG or it could have been from having the head off and coolant being allowed into an oil gallery and thus ending up behind this seal.
NachaLuva wrote:Why does your passengers head have a plug on the back? Does she know its there? Is it painful? :rolleyes:
Hehehe... very funny. But wrong place! I should have added the "EJ22" part like I did in the linked thread!
NachaLuva wrote:Yeah, cant wait to head out again, you with your sweetened up engine & flash drivetrain & me with my muddies & rear pLSD...you'll have no probs pulling me out lol :p
You're the one with the muddies and rear LSD, you can pull me out! Can't wait to go for a trip again. Looking forward to catching up in the next fortnight - definitely need to get a pic of our snorkel clad subarus together!

I've also realised that I've failed to buy new hoses for the heater hoses and the throttle body coolant hoses. I'm thinking I'll run the old ones with the old coolant until I get my radiator setup sorted - then go with all new hoses etc.

Last week I dropped into the guy I want to build my radiator. He's recommending to stick with Brass/Copper as they're able to be worked on if needed at a decent price. He reckons that alloy is a PITA to work on and he charges accordingly. I'm yet to get a price for a custom radiator but it's still an option. We'll see on this - It's something I'm going to sit on for a bit.

That's it from me for now. Back to the shed and the (gentle) heat :D

Cheers

Bennie
Attachments
IMG_4901_BRZ radiator in L series without fans.jpg
IMG_4901_BRZ radiator in L series without fans.jpg (50.54 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
IMG_5120 - BRZ radiator in L series with fans.jpg
IMG_5120 - BRZ radiator in L series with fans.jpg (107.64 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
IMG_4859-BRZ radiator in L series.jpg
IMG_4859-BRZ radiator in L series.jpg (108.06 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Sexy looking radiator, hope it keeps the EJ cool as much it looks hot:p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:52 am

FujiFan wrote:Sexy looking radiator, hope it keeps the EJ cool as much it looks hot:p
Not my radiator unfortunately :(

I've got Ruby Scoo back on the road again - a great feeling! Almost pulled an all nighter to get her to that point. The old radiator is back in use - a new thermo fan has been added with a substantial difference in the amount of air it pulls! I'm yet to test this setup out as I've not had any hot days to really expose the cooling and AC systems to atm.

I'm still going to look into a new radiator setup as I'm not 100% on this one - it's leaking in the places I found when I pulled it out even though I tried to seal up some of them.

The ignitor has a new home on a strip of aluminium that's neatly mounted on the passenger's side away from the cat converter. Will have to wait for the next hot desert trip to see how this goes.

I'm starting to think that my 5th gear is *just* a little too tall for my liking. Dunno what I'm going to do there yet...

Pics of a few things to come later ;)

Cheers

Bennie

PS the "golden" 10,000 :twisted: (not that I'M the one counting :rolleyes:)

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 am

Smaller tyres :mrgreen:

Sounds good though. If its a copper core radiator you could probably solder it to stop it leaking.

Regards

Doug

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:52 am

what revs are you doing at 100kph (actual) ?
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:02 pm

Great to see it on the road again :mrgreen:
El_Freddo wrote: I'm starting to think that my 5th gear is *just* a little too tall for my liking. Dunno what I'm going to do there yet...
Subydoug wrote:Smaller tyres :mrgreen:
Oh no not smaller haha :p

You could try a higher diff ratio, would make the 5th gear not so tall plus better crawling ability
PS the "golden" 10,000 :twisted: (not that I'M the one counting :rolleyes:)
Lol. Congrats :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Subydoug wrote:Smaller tyres :mrgreen:

Sounds good though. If its a copper core radiator you could probably solder it to stop it leaking.
Small tyres just look silly Doug!

The radiator seems to be leaking from the centre row, and everything I've tried to plug a stupid "drain hole" half way up the side of the radiator hasn't works :evil:
vincentvega wrote:what revs are you doing at 100kph (actual) ?
Roughly about 2750, maybe a little less. At 110km/h I'm pulling just on 3000rpm - it seems to be a bit happier there. What sort of revs are you getting at those speeds?

Nachaluva - it certainly is! But it's not for long again :evil: I made the mistake of leaving the old water pump on the engine and checking the shaft play - none was there so I didn't get a new one. But I suspect that a gasket or the shaft seal has dried out and shrunk as it's leaking. Not good pulling up in the driveway smelling that sweet coolant smell :(

Looking at my radiator options before I do the water pump. Just need to watch the gauge and the levels and I should be ok for a while.

It's been 40+ up here today and the cooling system can't hold it with the AC on, but it's no surprise with the leaking water pump as the cooling system won't be pressurised which means it's in-efficient/unable to work properly!

Cheers

Bennie

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:29 am

Do you have issues with cooling while moving or at slow speed/when stopped?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:16 pm

i would have thought 2750 at 100 is about ideal? my stock auto did 2500 which was terrible, the built auto got the revs back to about 2750 which was a big improvement.

a stock gen1 lib does about 3K at 100kph. bit high for my liking but at this revs you can just leave the thing in 5th and put the cruise control on and it will pull up just about any hill without dropping speed.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:15 pm

I get about 2900rpm at 100kmh, nice spot in the power band (EJ20) but 2750 might be ok for your EJ22
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:21 pm

Venom wrote:Do you have issues with cooling while moving or at slow speed/when stopped?
With the AC on and ambient air temps around 35C it can't hold a good running temp when driving around town - dunno what it would do sitting at idle, probably get hot too.

Today cruising around town in 40C ambient air temp the coolant temp didn't get any higher than the "thermo fan ON" temp. That was max 60km/h with quite a bit of slowing and accelerating on my way home, about 10 mins of travel in total.
vincentvega wrote:a stock gen1 lib does about 3K at 100kph. bit high for my liking but at this revs you can just leave the thing in 5th and put the cruise control on and it will pull up just about any hill without dropping speed.
That makes sense, I'm pretty sure I'm running a Gen1 "series 2" EJ22 - I would like it some where near 2850 at 100km/h. Or my engine could be getting tired too which does happen! And it's been through quite a bit since I've had it...

I'm sure its running the RX turbo gearsets. My thinking is that a 4.11:1 factory foz gearset would work well, or the stock L series low range which I believe is a little shorter than the RX turbo 5th - that would be the easier option to do.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 pm

NachaLuva wrote:I get about 2900rpm at 100kmh, nice spot in the power band (EJ20) but 2750 might be ok for your EJ22
Yeah that's about what I reckon I want. I'm considering this with a loaded vehicle too - it's better to drive unloaded but still doesn't pull up hills on cruise like I remember it used to. That could again be a tired engine thing too...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Thought I'd add some pics of my thermo fan setup on the old custom radiator. In the mean time Ruby Scoo's sitting waiting for a new water pump while I also work out what radiator to go with - currently sizing up the pulsar N14 radiator... eventually!

The fans:

And a poser, because I can. She needs a wash - still hasn't had a proper clean since the September desert trip last year :???:

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 24, 2014 1:09 pm

So I finally got around to checking out the injector colour on Ruby Scoo's EJ22 - they're red.

So what exactly does that mean - other than I've got an EJ22 with red injectors? Interference (hope not!)?

In other news:

The N13 radiator fitted well. One of my fans needs upgrading - it works when it want's to, not when it's told to.
I've been trying to work out if the radiator really does the job well enough to stay - I think it's the thermostat that's letting the system down at the moment. I'll have one ordered from FROG next pay cheque... Then we'll see how things go on the L series gauge - I really need to get an aftermarket one sorted again...

Pics to come of the rad setup.

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 24, 2014 5:35 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
The ECU and fuse box mounted on the steering column - it'll probabily stay this way with the cable ties as it doesn't move and is easy to remove if I ever need to:

The EJ in Ruby Scoo's engine bay:

Red injectors mean it is a series one gen2 motor. it is non interference as it has the orignal style rocker covers, not the slab covers of the later models. you have a G1 label on your computer as well, which would mean it comes from a 1992 model liberty

Do the photos look familar? :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:00 pm

El_Freddo wrote:So I finally got around to checking out the injector colour on Ruby Scoo's EJ22 - they're red.

So what exactly does that mean - other than I've got an EJ22 with red injectors? Interference (hope not!)?
Red injectors means Gen1 Ser2 onwards engine. I'm under the impression (from others on here) that the later engines were all interference motors but I've personally had 2 (one Gen1 Ser2 and one Gen2 Ser1) engines that have had their timing belts break and both have not required the heads off. It may be just luck but I'm not sure of it.. knowing my luck ;)

Just for TOONGA's reference.. the later model EJ engines with the large rocker cover were not available in EJ22
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun May 25, 2014 5:26 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
In other news:

The N13 radiator fitted well. One of my fans needs upgrading - it works when it want's to, not when it's told to.
I've been trying to work out if the radiator really does the job well enough to stay - I think it's the thermostat that's letting the system down at the moment. I'll have one ordered from FROG next pay cheque... Then we'll see how things go on the L series gauge - I really need to get an aftermarket one sorted again...

Pics to come of the rad setup.

Cheers

Bennie
Yes please... did you go with the standard radiator or with a full alloy unit? as Im looking at the N13 for my vortex or this one from a Mazda v6
RSR 555 wrote: Just for TOONGA's reference.. the later model EJ engines with the large rocker cover were not available in EJ22
"SIGHS" ...Ok sorry... next time just for references sake I will say that the later motors with slab sided rocker covers were not EJ22, even though nowhere in my post did I refer to them as being EJ22 Just being slab sided and the interfernce motors. incedentally according to everything I have read the interference motors (for example) started in 1996 and were the EJ25 with the slab sided rockers

and sorry for the spam Bennie :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun May 25, 2014 6:47 pm

And did you get a single core, oval core or dual core N13 radiator.
The dual core alloys work very well, the others, not quite as good.
L serious, still.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 25, 2014 7:24 pm

TOONGA wrote:Red injectors mean it is a series one gen2 motor. it is non interference
Cheers mate!
TOONGA wrote:Do the photos look familar?
Yeah, they're mine, why??
RSR 555 wrote:Red injectors means Gen1 Ser2 onwards engine. I'm under the impression (from others on here) that the later engines were all interference motors but I've personally had 2 (one Gen1 Ser2 and one Gen2 Ser1) engines that have had their timing belts break and both have not required the heads off. It may be just luck but I'm not sure of it.. knowing my luck
Sweet, good to know! I've not had the "pleasure" of snapping a cam belt in one of these - and I hope it never happens!!
TOONGA wrote:Yes please... did you go with the standard radiator or with a full alloy unit?
Standard dual core with plastic end tanks (not really happy with the plastic end tanks but they're new and for $100 delivered I couldn't argue with that to just get RS going again).

That unit you're looking at looks pretty good too. It'd be good to know how it goes. The more radiator options we can find the better I reckon!
TOONGA wrote:and sorry for the spam Bennie
I haven't seen any, hopefully it stays that way ;)
tambox wrote:And did you get a single core, oval core or dual core N13 radiator.
The dual core alloys work very well, the others, not quite as good.
The ebay ad says a two row 32mm. I'll have to have a closer look to see if it's an oval or a proper two row.

One thing to note is to make sure you're getting the right outlets on the radiator - the ad said 35mm or there abouts, but the radiator turned up with 28mm (I think it was) and a rubber spacer unit on it. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I ended up using a new brumby lower rad hose to make up the two custom hoses to the radiator with the use of a set of adaptors a mate made up for me in stainless:

I've got better clearances too:

Once a bit of massaging of the top support panel and the replacement of the lower panel with the L series one (I think I just took the L lower supports and individually riveted them to the N13 lower support) it fitted very well:

The radiator filler isn't an issue as Tambox had told me, it looks super high when you look at the radiator out of the vehicle but it fits well. I made use of the upper support panel mounting bolts to make my radiator upper mounts. With the use of a pre-fab right angle tabs I used a bit of rubber to fix it to the front panel of the engine bay (rad support panel??). Anyway, it kind of looks like this with some fuzziness:

Where the little bracket moves forward it is bolted to a bit of rubber that's then bolted to the vehicle. I did this to avoid any twisting of the radiator that can occur with a solid fix.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:40 pm

TOONGA wrote:Red injectors mean it is a series one gen2 motor. it is non interference as it has the orignal style rocker covers, not the slab covers of the later models. you have a G1 label on your computer as well, which would mean it comes from a 1992 model liberty
TOONGA wrote:"SIGHS" ...Ok sorry... next time just for references sake I will say that the later motors with slab sided rocker covers were not EJ22, even though nowhere in my post did I refer to them as being EJ22 Just being slab sided and the interfernce motors. incedentally according to everything I have read the interference motors (for example) started in 1996 and were the EJ25 with the slab sided rockers
I have to "SIGH" too.. I'm also sorry. I took what you said as that engines with earlier rocker style covers were non interference motors. :rolleyes:

Large (or slab covers as you call it) didn't start until MY99 models but as you also mentioned the info from 'scoobyenthusiast' that interference motors started in MY96. The early EJ25 were DOHC, so these are altogether different.

I'm not having a go at you, just making it clear for others that read this.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “El Freddo”