Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 14, 2012 5:11 pm

AshR wrote:Hey Man, didn't notice before, but what PC computer you running in the middle of the dash?
Fleabay cheapie GPS unit, same as pictured above from the hotham trip in the previous page.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AshR

Post by AshR » Mon May 14, 2012 8:18 pm

I have one of these on pre order... thinking Brumby could be a good location for me to put this ;)
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Scratch that, been reading up on car applications and rule of thumb is pointing to android tablet and using the rasberry pi in house for media centre :)

Brumbyowner

Post by Brumbyowner » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

El Freddo, I had a power drain in my 87 Brumby and I had to disconnect the battery all the time, I finally replaced the alt and the problem was solved

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:57 pm

Brumbyowner wrote:El Freddo, I had a power drain in my 87 Brumby and I had to disconnect the battery all the time, I finally replaced the alt and the problem was solved
Thanks mate. This issue has since been long sorted! The battery was basically dead and wouldn't hold charge. At some point since then I had an alternator die on me as well - a bearing let go and it wasn't good!

I'm keen to upgrade to the square plug alternator from the later EJ's - apparently it's a much better unit to have and eliminates some issue the round plug has...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Wow, over six months and no updates!

Thought I'd chuck these up as she's looking and running awesome:

Yeah can't go past that classic L shape! Seriously though I just thought I'd throw those in, what I'm really updating about is this:

^ That's my holy grail of subaru gearboxes (finally!). Specs: 4.11 ratio diffs (matching rear diff in the pic above) L AWD locking centre diff:

OBX torsen front LSD, low range oil feed (under the black "mexican hats"), the oiling system now needs to be put together, the good L series 1.59:1 low range:

Pretty stoked! Now all I really need is a set of front driveshafts to match the 25 spline diff output stubs then it's a case of finding the time to fit it in :twisted:

Here's what an L series AWD centre diff looks like:

^ Bolts obviously not done up properly! That castle part is the half of the diff locking mechanism, the splined shaft (hollow) that you see is the drive input shaft where the other half of the dog clutch lives and effectively locks the centre diff when it's engaged. It's a very interesting design! The idler gears are what drives the diff, the rear side gear drives the front diff via that extra long pinion shaft and the rear diff is driven by the diff housing as the side gear is cast into it. It's a head spin to really understand how it all works :D

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:17 pm

WOAH! That's awesome benny, a dream come true for you mate!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Did you get another centre diff or using what you had?
L serious, still.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:07 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:WOAH! That's awesome benny, a dream come true for you mate!
Almost there! Just got to get it in then it'll be there! Really looking forward to it, hoping its everything I'm hoping it will be!
tambox wrote:Did you get another centre diff or using what you had?
Subaruby came to the rescue. There's actually a post missing from last night showing the wear on the original centre diff I started with. Here's the just of that post:

Below is the drive input in relation to the outer casting. The second one below shows that input shaft lifted - result of probably running the wrong diff long term:

There should not be any movement in this AT ALL!

Sorted now though, it's cost me a bit more in the build than I wanted but its also been interesting learning too.

Cheers

Bennie

PS: hopefully the first image works! If not I'll reload it when home again as the image is on the computer not my phone that I'm currently restricted to atm...

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Good to hear, enjoy it, its a good set-up.
L serious, still.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 pm

New pic uploaded to replace the one that didn't work - that should show what I've been trying to talk about!

Also forgot to mention that I've got a square plug alternator to go in and hopefully resolve the poor charging I've been getting on the round plug alternators I've been using since the conversion. Looking forward to see how it goes! Just have to work out how to wire this thing in again...

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Nice work, almost there.

I don't understand, why is Ruby Scoo clean?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:04 pm

subaruby wrote:I don't understand, why is Ruby Scoo clean?
Pick one:
  • Time poor
  • Working too much
  • "domesticated"
  • but namely: haven't had the chance :(
Hoping to make up for it during the September school holidays... Gotta get the gearbox in first!

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:34 pm

Domesticated lifespan is usually 25 years. So add that to your age and plan for that day.....then you can lash out on a 2038 Subaru lol I'll be 82! :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Tweety wrote:I'll be 82! :)
And probably still riding around on Tweety :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Vintage Tweety with the same SPFI and that soon new engine. Hahah. Red plates, bowls hat on the top of the top box, tubes for the walking canes, .....wonder if by then they'll be an alternative fuel? batteries for fuel? Reckon we should chat over some bundy's about powering a car with compressed air or water.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Ruby scoo looks sexy mate! So does that gearbox! Hoping for no dramas with the install.

Regards

Doug

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:02 am

Ooo I'm jealous! My time will come I know, all good things come to those who wait. We all know you've certainly waited a long time! :P

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:42 pm

But Bennie wants it all NOW!! Dont we all.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Subydoug wrote:Ruby scoo looks sexy mate! So does that gearbox!
Thanks mate! I don't get tired looking at her :twisted: I dunno how a gearbox is sexy but it is exciting to me - no, not in that way either!
taza wrote:Ooo I'm jealous! My time will come I know, all good things come to those who wait. We all know you've certainly waited a long time! :P
You're doing alright with the way you're going! Although I had to wait for money, parts and time to do the work. It's been an experience and a good way to learn as well. It's certainly given me plenty of time to do my research and bounce opinions off other members here and other mates too.
Tweety wrote:But Bennie wants it all NOW!! Dont we all.
Yeah but that's just a part of the excitement. This gearbox has been about 6 years in the making! I'm sure a month or two more won't go missed. Importantly I'll get there with it... One day!

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:51 pm

El_Freddo wrote:You're doing alright with the way you're going! Although I had to wait for money, parts and time to do the work. It's been an experience and a good way to learn as well. It's certainly given me plenty of time to do my research and bounce opinions off other members here and other mates too.
Yeah I know, apprentice wages suck but it'll pay off. Having the ability to wire in my own electrical accessories and know what I'm doing is a bonus. Hopefully I'll get around to wiring in my piggy back computer in the foz this weekend.

Your not wrong about the learning curve! With the forum it is great to see what others have done and how it's worked out, especially when it's a different mod that hasn't been done before..

Return to “El Freddo”