Ruby Scoo’s epic build, ten years and counting...

Moderator: El_Freddo

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:02 am

Yeah I noticed that too :

What's up with the chamfer as well ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:05 pm

They're cast holes in the LSD but no threaded holes for a bolt...

The chamfer is to clear the low range! Need it regardless of L or EJ low range afaik.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:32 pm

well done getting the speedo spot on mate. i miss mine being accurate.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:08 pm

tambox wrote:Yep, when playing with different casings/gears, that little plate with the detent holes often has to be re-drilled/extended.
Yeah, learnt that with this fix. It's a good thing to know too - and relatively simple to do.
tambox wrote:Got an oil feed for the low range??
Your teeth are getting marked (love quality photo's)
Yep. This low range came from a box that was worked from time to time. I decided on this set as it didn't make any noise, unlike the one I had in my current gearbox at the time...

Oil feeders are used when ever they're needed these days, so hopefully there's no further damage.

No worries on the quality photos - something I enjoy doing!
vincentvega wrote:well done getting the speedo spot on mate. i miss mine being accurate.
You've gone back to a manual yeah? You could do a diff ratio match if you're keen on sorting it out...

Cheers

Bennie

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:35 pm

If i ever have to open the box up i will look into sorting the speedo (and will be chasing you for advice!!)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

coxy

Post by coxy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:17 pm

Nice work on the Gearbox Mods El Freddo possibly the only thing I would consider doing differently is not to use copper pipe for the oiul squirters as sooner or later it will vibration fracture because it is not supported.

The material spec I would use to make those Oil squirter tubes from would be what is known as Bundy Tube this is a special seamless steel tube normally used as the correct application for Fuel Lines and available in the same sizes as the copper tube.

Yes especially in the Northern Hemisphere they tend to make Brake Lines from Copper tube which is actually illegal in Australia for good reason but proper Bundy Tube in Australia is also available with a copper coating not just the usual Nickel plating for rust prevention (That is why in Salt Laden Road environments they tend toward copper tube for brake lines).

So I would use Bundy tube for the next gearbox Mod and silver solder the fittings rather than normal solder as it is much stronger and has better vibration resistence unlike normal soldered joints.

So Plaudits for what you have achieved but try Bundy Tube and Silver solder to make it even more bullet proof for the next build.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:31 pm

vincentvega wrote:If i ever have to open the box up i will look into sorting the speedo (and will be chasing you for advice!!)
It was really pot luck mate! But you can call one me and we'll see what we can come up with ;)
coxy wrote:Nice work on the Gearbox Mods El Freddo possibly the only thing I would consider doing differently is not to use copper pipe for the oiul squirters as sooner or later it will vibration fracture because it is not supported.

The material spec I would use to make those Oil squirter tubes from would be what is known as Bundy Tube this is a special seamless steel tube normally used as the correct application for Fuel Lines and available in the same sizes as the copper tube...

...So I would use Bundy tube for the next gearbox Mod and silver solder the fittings rather than normal solder as it is much stronger and has better vibration resistence unlike normal soldered joints.
Thanks Coxy, knowing your expertise it means a lot. And thanks for the tips on the bundy tube, I'll get onto that for sure next time the box is open (maybe 4.44:1 diff ratio swap? :twisted:)

Ruby Scoo is now being geared up for a trip this weekend - new cb radio fitted, AC ducting sorted and blower fan cleaned out of the half ton of leaves so I should finally have some decent AC action going on after about 10 years of ownership of this L!
I'm also hoping that this trip is a good one as it's a new area that's an unknown for us ;)

Cheers

Bennie

coxy

Post by coxy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:09 am

What no AC Bennie have the window winders fallen off and never been replaced in the last ten years or something.

When it comes to in car cooling the three best things ever invented came out of the UK

Land Rover tropical roof is number one

Land Rover lift up vent panel below the windscreen is number two

Number three made it's appearance in Mini Panel vans and has since been stolen by all and sundry and added to their rally cars and Off road racers and is of course the humble Roof vent awesome for keeping cool and more important positive pressure inside the cabin so no dust comes in, Unless of course you spin out from tyring too hard and end up in your own dust cloud.;
Attachments
2Q_640.jpg
2Q_640.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 8762 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Nah mate I've got power windows but have to put a bung in the door cards.

I've got AC but it's not real flash. We're about to investigate the interior fan's voltage and see if we can hook up a "turbo" wire setting to spin that fan better. It could also be the fan is old as it's always been on when I've been driving...

And less than 1000k km for the golden 500!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:24 am

While I was over in WA Ruby Scoo managed this little milestone:

And we were about here where it happened:

Trip report is being written up and will be dropped on the forum once it's complete ;)

Teaser pics for you:

Link will be added in here too.

Cheers

Bennie

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:15 am

inspirational !
member since 10january2014 #6191

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:38 am

Can't wait :cool:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:50 am

Looks like a couple of pics didnt work.

The Pinnacles are awesome, I've got a good one of my brother's car there but unfortunately its a Honda lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:20 pm

NachaLuva wrote:Looks like a couple of pics didnt work.
I'll have to look into that. They've only just been uploaded so there shouldn't be an issue and they worked for me last night. Seems a lot of my old images have been dropped here and there too :(

I need another night (a few free hours) to get this TR done - dunno when that's going to happen :(

Cheers

Bennie

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Looking forward to the TR :)

The Loyale

Post by The Loyale » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:23 am

Digging this photo mate!
El_Freddo wrote:Image
'92 Loyale - Safariwagon (Under Restoration)

'92 Toyota Landcruiser - Safariwagon-II "Nimble as an Ox!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:05 am

Awesome, where has that like button gone, would be smashing it rich about now ... 👊👌👏

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:30 pm

The Epic WA Trip Report has finally be completed and uploaded!

Pack a lunch - you've been warned!

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:46 pm

OK, reading this quoted post, putting it with removing said stuck punch in 2015, that diff and punch been sitting out in the weather at least six years !!
steptoe wrote:Just been rereading this post and found a connection with #25. I have got my Subaru CV punch stuck in a rear diff DOJ and it will only budge and not come out ! Stuffed if I know how it can get stuck somewhere in the middle

Gees , those pics are big. Was only just thinking today I should shove a used set of belts in the boot - just in case, and was looking at idler and tensioner bearings of EA82T I am pulling down, shove them in too, and the tools I suppose.Those photos look like they could sell a few timing belt kits complete with tensioners and idler!! They feel and sound rough spinning freely but gave no noise indication when engine was put through its paces. Heads are off, see score mark on offending cylinder, no cracks, no holes

Can almost smell the belt, or is it leftover from following a fella up the highway in an RS looking Lib. Front left tyre smoking and shredding away. Someone up front alerted him to the fact. Must be AWD makes it hard to feel a flat tyre shredding away !

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:38 am

So the much awaited pics of the rear suspension bushes are finally here! About 150k km of some serious offroad abuse resulted in this:

From memory I laid these out left to right as they are in the vehicle. Inner bushes were scrubbed out the worst:

Some of the bushes slide straight out, one in particular was a nightmare to get out but once it was out the new ones went in really well so I was happy with that.

I'm still not 100% sure that the issue is sorted and am yet to find the time to jack up the rear end and check the bearings which I wouldn't be surprised if they were shot as it's been a few years and a number of water crossings since I replaced these...

That's it for now. I've recently been driving Ruby Scoo around town and really enjoying her again - my challenging is to short shift at 2500rpm rather than revving out to 3000+rpm, I'm getting used to it and would love to swap out 5th to that longer ratio I was originally chasing. Just another thing to add to the "to-do" list.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “El Freddo”