Sunnie the Brumby.

Moderator: El_Freddo

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:32 pm

They're nice to drive aren't they? Headed up to Benders in mine yesterday & still thinkin it's a really good thing.
It's true what you're saying about Melbourne. I'm getting around all over Australia & Brumbys are definitely still around in rural areas in abundance. Never really see many in the capital cities though.

Cheers Jake

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:I'm getting around all over Australia & Brumbys are definitely still around in rural areas in abundance. Never really see many in the capital cities though.
Maybe we need to do a brumby drive through the middle of the city just for shits and giggles!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Quick update on Sunnie the Brumby:

Got an oil leak up front so had decided to put a kit through the oil pump and a new seal on the front of the crank.

After fighting with the crank bolt (had to remove the starter and "throw a nut into the flywheel") I got the pulley off relatively easily. I decided not to reseal the pump, we're going to monitor the area to see if the new crank seal has solved the problem.

The whole area in there got a good clean up so we may hopefully be able to pinpoint where the oil is coming from. I've already put a kit through the pump a few years ago so it should be good for many more yet.

The other thing it could be is the sump as the old cork gasket isn't looking so good anymore. If this turns out to be the culprit I'll replace it when I do the clutch as this seems to be getting low too.

Otherwise Sunnie the Brumby is going well and is now over the 374,000 km mark.

Not much else is going on for Sunnie - just driving and enjoying (mother inlaw that is ;))

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:21 am

an eight dollar oil pressure switch is also a handy thing to replace when it comes to oil leaks up front Bennie. I have similar up front leak - found the oil pump kit has dropped in price over the years from 20 bucks to 18 :) . Wondering if my oil leak is due to oil filter seal.

And despite owning an oil pump kit, new crank seal and not yet an oil pressure switch am also watching mine for the source of oil leak. Also watching it leak oil out the tailpipe on down mountain compression braking :( , and foot to the floor twin Hitachi style . It got new valve stem seals almost two years ago (or 900km) when I replaced the head gaskets. Wondering if I add seals to the exhaust valves whether the oil burn will be fixed. This engine came with the Brumby #3 as fitted 44 km before car died due to melted acc cable and other stuff caused by mechanics error or inattention at a dealers. Waranty worthless after ten years I suspect :(

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:56 am

Three weeks ago Sunnie the Brumby was in for some long overdue work - usual wear and tear items were replaced:

The front right bearing was making noise, this was the catalyst for the work.

The front shafts were clicking, front discs had a lip and some interesting grooves.

While “in there” I swapped out ball joints and tie rod ends as I can’t remember the last time these were done and I didn’t want to be pulling the front end apart again any time soon!

I went for sealed bearings and did the usual - wash out the factory packed grease, dried them then repacked with some fresh high temp bearing grease, then replaced only one seal:

The seal was orientated to the outside of the hub, spacer put in place and some extra grease added to avoid the grease exiting the bearing to the otherwise empty space between the bearings:

This little tool was totally awesome and I wish I’d got onto it years ago. No more pliers for me - so easy that hand brake equipped calipers are no longer seen as a PITA to reset. I did have to get a 3/8th adapter to use it with my half inch drive kit:

Put it all back together and it looks something like this:

And then repeat on the other side!

After this Sunnie copped a new set of front tyres and an alignment. Then we did the pick-a-part circuit in melbs (oh - and found out one of the new shafts was clicky right out the driveway after it was installed!).

Since there was a 50% off gearbox week at PAP I decided I’d grab an L 5spd for Sunnie, and I knew that in Campbellfield there was the perfect candidate that I saw the weekend before. I got there and the guys at the yard had removed and probably crushed it that day. Spewing.

I grabbed another carb from a brumby at Centre road as Sunnie’s one has a lot of shaft play. I did the swap once back at home with a minor clean out. I should’ve thought about how to blow all the little ports and what not out with air as I just cleaned up what I could and went from there - only to have the car not run properly on the open road.

So I was forced to again strip the carb down, made up a little nozzle from a selly’s caulking gun tube with a car’s air valve to use with my little air compressor, then blew everything out that I could. I even mustered up the courage to remove and clean the jets being very careful not to mix them up! Playing with the carb really made me appreciate the EFI system, I'm such a convert from back in the old days!

Took it for another drive and it was the same if not worse - gave it a number of foot to floor runs where it would accelerate then proceed to die. This told me the secondary was opening (wasn’t previously) but then it was being starved of fuel so no bang to make things go.

I turned around did a couple more then whoosh, we were off - and now we’ve only got a small idle issue to deal with as I’ve not tuned the auto choke. Otherwise we’re pretty happy with the swap. Now to check the change in fuel economy if any.

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:55 pm

Awesome thread Bennie, sorry haven't had a chance to check it out - will have to go back & read it all ... :)

P.S. - Some of the early photos appear to be / are lost or sized ... :(

Ciao, Bantum ...

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:19 pm

Good idea on the front bearings
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 28, 2017 10:30 am

Time for head gaskets to be sorted. Not a bad run considering we've had this brumby for about 10 years without needing to do anything with opening up the engine.

While it's out the clutch plate will be replaced as will the front and rear oil seals and inlet manifold gaskets.

Front RHS driveshaft inner boot needs replacing, the other side isn't looking too good either :???: so I might as well do them at the same time. It's a bit frustrating that these shafts are such a pain in the butt to begin with. I can't even remember if I swapped back to the original shafts or not. I think I took three shafts if not all of them back in then end...

There's a short list of other things to do too, but that'll happen after the HGs are done if there's time as they can be organised in the background.

One thing I do want to do is permanently mount the roll bar in the tray so I can have my tie downs back :D

Cheers

Bennie

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:24 pm

RE: The driveshafts, I have a mate in the driveshaft game: Lots and lots of them are junk, and they are being sold through big chain stores!!!! If you're in SA I can put you on to them. With lots of vehicles they now recondition (grind and fit larger balls) the original CV's as the chinese stuff is utter trash, and fail rapidly, or are even noisy when new, like you said.

As for the heads, are you thinking of doing a valve grind and valve stem seals? I would recommend it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:02 pm

Yeah I'm in Vic ;)

A number of years ago when I went to get my original shafts re-done the guy said he doesn't do reco's any more due to cost involved and cheap units coming on the market. I don't know if there's anyone in melbs doing this as I was in Bendigo at the time.

As for valve regrid and seals - hadn't thought about them. If anything I'll do the valve seals at the very least.

Nothing done over the weekend. Heads will be sent in to be shaved during the week.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Well the head gasket work is slowly coming along. Work got in the way big time on this. Very frustrating.

Heads off:

Crusty sump gasket:

Thank goodness the sump practically fell off, I thought it was going to put up a fight. The gasket put up a good fight - probably being the original sump, it was basically welded on.

So I've done little bits here and there when I can. Probably the biggest time saver I've had was cleaning up all the bits.

I wanted to replace the valve stem seals - ordered a valve stem seal kit and only got 4 valves, thinking this was wrong I went back to my parts joint. Got another set.

I pulled the valves off the head only to find that the EA81 does not run an exhaust valve stem seal. Ancient.

I ended up doing a valve regrind - glad I did, this is what they looked like before I started:

This is what they looked like after:

That should seal up good an proper in comparison now. It'll be interesting to see how it runs now power/economy wise.

Tonight I got the heads on, tomorrow I'll double check the torque of the head bolts then fit the intake manifold etc. All going well I hope to do a run in the car late tomorrow. I don't have a pic of the heads on yet, I'll get one tomorrow before I do the valve clearance settings.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Well since not having easy forum access, a lot has obviously happened. The brumby is back on the road and working really well.

Two weeks ago someone tried something, I'm not sure what they were trying to achieve but they screwdrivered their way into the brumby via the driver's door, then did the same to the ignition barrel.

When the car was found the driver's window was down (electric) and the screw driver on the floor. Nothing stolen. Battery flat.

The lock and ignition still work but need to be replaced - this is what I'm working out now :???:

Other bits will also be going in too ;)

Cheers

Bennie

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi Bennie,
I have a working ign barrel with key if you need it from my Brumby, the switch on the back has issues but does work.

Peter

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks Peter,

I've straightened out the old door lock and it works really well again now. The ignition barrel we'll cross another time - it still works but needs a special jiggle.

Looking at the possibility of swapping it out for the old barrel that's damaged and have the key matched to the new barrel using parts from the old one.

Cheers

Bennie

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:40 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Other bits will also be going in too ;)

Cheers

Bennie
A Taipan under the seat only cost a rat or two per month at best. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Peter

Return to “El Freddo”