Sunnie the Brumby.

Moderator: El_Freddo

stenno

Post by stenno » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:01 pm

the link in this thread shows all the manifold trimming that needs to happen too, just ignore the weber info

weber install guide

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks Stenno - there was some good information in there that I hadn't thought about!

Here's the radiator pics that are a little late :???:

Front side:

Rear side:

Previous to us getting this vehicle it appeared that it had run into a fallen tree/branch, thus the fan mark in the radiator - this however didn't cause the leak, something else did - probably old age did it in...

If the other radiator I've got doesn't come up well in it's pressure and flow testing it'll be new radiator time - not that I want to be spending that sort of coin at the moment!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Got the radiator back, zero charge! I can't talk up Bendigo Radiators enough, they're in Adam St if anyone happens to be looking for them.

Today I stripped down the engine, I've forgotten to get a photo of the water pump, while the impeller is in great condition the port that the radiator hose mounts to is very corroded.

I've removed the inlet manifold to replace the gaskets, I'm glad I decided to do this, the pass side was clearly leaking and the driver's side didn't seem to very far behind. I also fount a pin hole that was leaking from the top radiator hose :???:

Here's the passenger's side inlet port:

Looking forward to having Sunnie back on the road for Gail; all I need to do is rebuild the oil pump, remove clean and re-seal the powersteering rack, sort out a carbie issue, replace the windscreen rubber, fix a hole in the cab's rear wall, clean up and paint a set of roll bars before mounting them and returning the brumby to it's "rightful" owner :(

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:17 pm

On saturday I removed the old windscreen rubber and was going to replace it with a new one. Here's the old one that was leaking on the driver's side - should have got a new one when we got the repair on this corner originally:

I don't know how you remove those chrome strips without damaging them, one's now flaking and two have slightly deformed edges when I tried to carefully lever up an edge with a small screwdriver :???:

This is what I found: - Passenger's side:

Driver's side (repaired previously):

And this is primarily what's put the new seal on hold:

^ This is the upper edge of the windscreen, the old hard seal has rubbed away at the paint exposing the metal below. I need to clean this up and protect this properly before I put the new seal in. Now I'm waiting for the weather to clear up. The passenger's corner isn't as hard as there's less area to cover and I don't have to be as fussy about the paint surface around this area unlike the roof.

For now I'll get onto the engine stuff while I wait for another "slow moving high" to come around again.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am

Got the same wear mark on my roof, down to bare metal that does not wanna rust. Open sores are a bit like this in Subies, got another flake of paint missing on the bonnet , just stays clean :) .It is the hidden, moist bits like the screen rubber spots that rust

AshR

Post by AshR » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 am

glad you're testing this on sunnie before I get around to replacing the seal on mine

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:03 am

AshR wrote:glad you're testing this on sunnie before I get around to replacing the seal on mine
One tip: It would pay massive dividends to check the long range weather forecast before ripping off the windscreen rubber! More so if you're stuck out side like I am at the moment!

You'll be very surprised/disheartened as to how bad it is under there - many nasties lurking :( I was surprised with the condition of Sunnie's rim of the windscreen mounting area, it's in a poor state compared to what I was expecting :( :(

I'm now waiting for some weather where I can be warm enough to get on with the job and not get blown away/wet at the same time...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:41 am

Last week was a busy one for me on the brumby.

New water pump, oil pump re-sealed, and in the pipeline I've got all new coolant hoses and am nutting out a new crossover pipe that runs under the intake from the water pump. The old one is rotted badly at each end where the coolant hoses connect.

I've also given the block a good clean - the only comparison I have to it's previous condition are the inlet pics on the previous page. Here's the block cleaned up, it looks like new, especially with the flash on the camera:

Now I'm waiting for the weather to fine up so I can spray the windscreen surround. I'm wishing we had the same weather we had two weeks ago...

For now I need to make up a new gasket for the oil filler pipe and get this cross over pipe sorted, then the intake can go back on and after a bit more work I should be able to start him back up and see what the oil pump does.

Almost forgot, I've also had the PS rack out and apart to hopefully seal it up so no more leaks. Time will tell on that one. It's an interesting piece of kit to say the least! I'll upload a pic of the input shaft later. While I had it out both steering boots were replaced, makes it easy work on the bench.

I'm looking forward to having this one out of the shed and back to it's true owner... Still quite a bit of work to do.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Still working on this one - slowly!

This is certainly not the time of year to be spraying - I really didn't think this one through. But I want to make sure it's done properly before re-installing the windscreen. Big lights help with heat and humidity:

I've also had to work out a way to get around a rotted cross over pipe - the one from the heater core to the water pump. I found a good way to do it - pics to come on that one.

Now to finish off the windscreen bit then put the engine back together. Then do some other things that need to be done that I can't remember at this time of night...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I've also had to work out a way to get around a rotted cross over pipe - the one from the heater core to the water pump. I found a good way to do it - pics to come on that one.
Pics:

^ That little brass part is actually two pieces. In total I think it cost either $27 or $33 - again I can't remember exactly. The smaller barbed piece has had about half of it's threaded end shaved down so that it's not blocking the coolant flow in the feeder pipe from the water pump.

I'm hoping that once the intake manifold goes back on this will be a relatively easy area to access if we need to renew any hoses. So far I've got new upper and lower radiator hoses, new heater hoses to the H piece tap and I've also renewed the little hoses to the bottom of the carbie so pretty much all cooling system hosing is replaced other than that under the dashboard.

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:08 am

Well, a lot had happened since the last post!

Moved it up to Shepp, it over heated several times on smooth level roads, the temp didn't budge through the hills - go figure. I spoke to a mate and he said that the issue is the missing factory plates under the engine, these create a negative pressure situation in the engine bay that sucks the air through the radiator. So the bullbar and the driving lights are safe from any mods/deletes.

The windscreen is in and sorted. Unfortunately the tape I used pulled some paint off the A pillars. Pissed about that! Dunno exactly what I'm going to do with that yet (win tatts and respray the whole thing!).

For now I'm after some tips about fitting the roll bar. My idea is to get some plates to put under the mount points to help sandwich the tray metal so the load is spread. The tips I'm after are any tricks to get it dead centre. Currently I'm going with the measure twice, drill once theory.

A rubber strip will be put under each mount point as well. This will help reduce the risk of rust through vibration and hopefully naturally correct any difference in the height of all the plates as it doesn't sit perfectly flat at all four points.

Anyway, here are some pics. We're going to sand it and paint it black, we think it would look better this colour plus it's what the true owner wants!

I want to change these hooks to a loop and drop them below the roof line view so you can't see them like you can in the pic above:

I should look good once it's painted etc. The first task will be to brush off this rust, acid treat it, buff off, prime, buff, prime, buff, sealer, then for the hole I'll have a crack at using this stuff:

Once all the rust has been treated, primed, sealed, double sealed and painted with a kill rust enamel white the roll bar will see some attention.

Other things to do on this beast are: Install the carpet I purchased on ebay years ago (now); Thinking of better seats, we'll see what happens there; clean up the interior as it's just dirty. I wouldn't mind doing the five speed conversion, just time and equipment I don't have up here at the moment, so will probably wait on that one.
Front and rear brakes will be seen to. Thinking of new rotors and pads up front to improve the braking response. Fresh brake fluid might be the go too.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Attachments
dsc3045permaworld.jpg
dsc3045permaworld.jpg (43.88 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
dsc3029sunniethebrumbyr.jpg
dsc3029sunniethebrumbyr.jpg (85.44 KiB) Viewed 5220 times
dsc3026rollbar4.jpg
dsc3026rollbar4.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
dsc3033rollbar3.jpg
dsc3033rollbar3.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
dsc3043sunniethebrumbyr.jpg
dsc3043sunniethebrumbyr.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 5226 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Well I've managed to do some work on Sunnie the Brumby!

It's going well, still need to get some paint but for now the acid can hold it up for now.

Here's what's been going on:

Used a flapper disc on the grinder to clean up the surface rust areas and some spots that had light rust due to loss of paint:

I've also attacked the rust areas that the tonneau cover has created. It's not going to look show quality when it's done but there won't be any rust in there which is what I want.

Re-doing the rust repairs from a few years ago. That didn't go so well. Learnt a lot since then (hopefully!):

More on the rear of the tray - mainly aiming at the seam area where it seems to have taken hold, it's not serious rust but it would be one day. There's one hole in this area too:

And the seam where it all began - and what I am ultimately out to resolve:

Next post (maxed out attachment limit) I talk more about this seam - I'm very glad I looked further into it!

Attachments
dsc4169rustseam.jpg
dsc4169rustseam.jpg (33.41 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
dsc4168rusttray.jpg
dsc4168rusttray.jpg (46.43 KiB) Viewed 5190 times
dsc4167rustworktray.jpg
dsc4167rustworktray.jpg (39.9 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
dsc4165rusttreated.jpg
dsc4165rusttreated.jpg (20.74 KiB) Viewed 5187 times
dsc4164wirewheeledrust.jpg
dsc4164wirewheeledrust.jpg (47.51 KiB) Viewed 5189 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:26 pm

In this image you can see the areas that I've hit with the rust buster that are a dull grey, the bits I've missed are still shiny:

This is where I'm glad I looked into it further. This is the seam from in the cab. Near the knife you can see a little brown area along the seam, this is what I wanted to look into further:

With the seam sealer removed you can see more. It really is a cancer:

And a better image of that rust with the seam sealer removed:

Then I spent some time wire wheeling the whole seam area. You can really see the rust in the area now - there's even more than what I thought was there after removing the seam sealer. This was then covered with rust buster and is currently sitting there doing it's thing:

Looking forward to having all of this cleaned up during the week then applying the first coat of paint - red oxide. Then it'll be primer followed by some white kill rust.

Cheers

Bennie
Attachments
dsc4208seamwirewheeled.jpg
dsc4208seamwirewheeled.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
dsc4207seamrust.jpg
dsc4207seamrust.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
dsc4205seamrust.jpg
dsc4205seamrust.jpg (34.43 KiB) Viewed 5186 times
dsc4203seamincab.jpg
dsc4203seamincab.jpg (34.2 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
dsc4170rusttray.jpg
dsc4170rusttray.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 5184 times

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:11 am

Nice work Bennie.. going to be one very nice Brumby
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

chridk

Post by chridk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks for sharing Bennie

I really need to do this to the grumpy, Its windscreen & tray are in the same condition as sunnie.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:40 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Nice work Bennie.. going to be one very nice Brumby
Thanks mate, and I certainly hope so! I'd love to give it the rotisserie treatment with a full respray - but don't have the time, money or facilities to do so. Plus I need to give this car back to it's real owner - it's taken far too long to get the bits done on it!
chridk wrote:I really need to do this to the grumpy, Its windscreen & tray are in the same condition as sunnie.
Plan for four times longer than you originally thought you'd need to do it properly. I've done some mechanical stuff to it early last year, then the windscreen - I wish I knew about this process back then!

Cheers

Bennie

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:12 pm

G'day Bennie
You might have taken your time, but look at all the effort you put into a car that is for someone else. Your pics had me inspecting certain areas of my Brumby very closely this morning. Looks all okay except for where the tonnaeu cover rubs the paint off. A couple of those spots will be gone thru in a few years I reckon.

Cheers Jake

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks Jake. I dream of my own brumby while I do it ;)

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Ok, so after doing the rear tray and cab wall area I really needed to get stuck into the seam across the top of the firewall that skirts around behind the spare tyre as this was showing signs of rust:

Here is the Driver's side up close - this is the area that caught my attention in the first place, unfortunately I've only got after wire wheeling photos:

And the Passenger's side. I also found rust under the rubber grommet into the cab and to access the area the wiper motor had to be removed - pretty easy but the plastic clips are pretty US :(

I've got more pics coming, having uploading issues with the attachment manager :(

Also all areas have been acid treated ready for prep for painting on the weekend. I'm looking forward to this part!

Cheers

Bennie
Attachments
DSC_4241brumbyfirewallseam.jpg
DSC_4241brumbyfirewallseam.jpg (59.13 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
DSC_4235brumbyfirewallseamrustLHS.jpg
DSC_4235brumbyfirewallseamrustLHS.jpg (52.23 KiB) Viewed 5599 times
DSC_4233brumbyfirewallseamrust.jpg
DSC_4233brumbyfirewallseamrust.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 5600 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:17 pm

I also wired the LHS bonnet hinge and acid treated it:

I also attended to some rust in the air vent area behind the firewall below the windscreen. It's totally out of focus but I think you get the idea of where it is - the shiny/grey area is what I've worked on - managed to get the drill with the wire wheel in there too!

Then I had some fun getting to a very rusty area that is quite amazing - it's high up above the above image, directly under the windscreen. I couldn't get the drill in there so have scraped it out with a screw driver then acid treated these areas tonight - I used an art paint brush that was long and skinny to get in there; also removing the wiper arms out of the way helps with access:

And the passenger's side:

Good fun. I'm really looking forward to prepping and painting all of these areas! There's also a massive bit of rust under the tray, directly above the prop shaft that I attacked. It hollowed out to quite a hole that I'm not really happy with but not much I can do anyway - I'll be wiring it again soon then another acid treatment before getting a couple of coats of paint to seal it all up.

Now to go get the paint, turps, wet and dry, brushes etc...

Cheers

Bennie
Attachments
DSC_4239brumbydifficultrustarea1.jpg
DSC_4239brumbydifficultrustarea1.jpg (96.01 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
DSC_4238brumbyrust-airvent.jpg
DSC_4238brumbyrust-airvent.jpg (92.45 KiB) Viewed 5600 times
DSC_4237brumbyhardtogettorust.jpg
DSC_4237brumbyhardtogettorust.jpg (78.39 KiB) Viewed 5602 times
DSC_4236BrumbyLHSbonnethinge.jpg
DSC_4236BrumbyLHSbonnethinge.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 5601 times